U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2015, 07:28 AM

12,536 posts, read 10,414,651 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesPhan2013 View Post
For New Jersey, I view the second city as Camden.
Why, because it's close to Philly?

Old 04-11-2015, 07:47 AM
JJG

13,231 posts, read 19,116,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDPMiami View Post
For Texas, Houston seems like a second city to the Dallas-Forth Worth metroplex. But if you want to call those 'equal' then Austin. San Antonio is more like a third city.
Ok... serious question. And don't get offended or anything, but...

Is it really that common to misspell "Fort Worth"? I've been seeing this a lot lately.

Old 04-11-2015, 08:29 AM

1,699 posts, read 1,587,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
Ok... serious question. And don't get offended or anything, but...

Is it really that common to misspell "Fort Worth"? I've been seeing this a lot lately.
Must have been autocorrect, I would never spell it that way

Old 04-11-2015, 08:47 AM

889 posts, read 756,831 times
Norfolk is VA's second city. Richmond is the first (Washington DC is really the first city but seeing as how it isn't in the commonwealth...). NOVA certainly does count but there isn't one city or name that comes to mind with most people. Fairfax has name recognition but what do you see when you think about it? Alexandria may be the third (tied with Roanoke). Rename Roslyn "Arlington City" and it could become third or even second.

Old 04-11-2015, 08:52 AM

2,949 posts, read 2,105,205 times
Off the top of my head

Texas - Houston - Austin

Florida - Miami - Daytona Beach

Indiana - Indianapolis - Muncie

North Carolina - Raleigh - Ashville

Wesconsin - Green Bay - Madison

Minnesota - Minneapolis - Rochester

Mississippi - Jackson - Hattiesburg

Alabama - Birmingham - Mobile

Michigan - Detroit - Ann Arbor

Virginia - Richmond - Charlottesville

Ohio - Cincinnatti - Columbus

Kansas - Witchita - Kansas City

Thats about all I can think of for now.

Old 04-11-2015, 08:55 AM

18,189 posts, read 9,435,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
Every state has a primary city, the financial hub, the capital, or the largest city in the state, be what it may. Most states are easy, Chicago is Illinois' primary city, Denver is Colorado's primary city. But what about second cities? Every state has to have a runner up city, the second most important, second most visited, second most populous, second coolest, etc, whatever it is, share each state's SECOND city. You can do all 50 states or just the ones that interest you, just curious to see what people think. Have fun!

Alabama - Mobile
Alaska Fairbanks
Arizona Tucson
Arkansas Fayetteville
California SF
Colorado Colorado Springs
Connecticut NYC
Delaware no clue of any cities in Delaware
Florida Orlando
Georgia Savannah
Hawaii Hilo
Idaho Twin Falls
Illinois Peoria
Indiana don't know any
Iowa not sure
Kansas no se
Kentucky Lexington
Louisiana Baton Rouge
Maine No se
Maryland no se
Massachusetts Springfield
Michigan no se
Minnesota St.Paul
Mississippi Biloxi
Missouri KC
Montana Billings
Nebraska no se
Nevada Reno
New Hampshire no se
New Jersey no se
New Mexico Santa Fe
New York Albany
North Carolina Raleigh
North Dakota Williston
Ohio Columbus
Oklahoma Tulsa
Oregon Salem
Pennsylvania Pitt
Rhode Island no se
South Carolina Greenville
South Dakota no se
Tennessee Memphis
Texas Dallas
Utah no se
Vermont no se
Virginia Arlington
Washington Bellevue
West Virginia
Wisconsin
Wyoming
nn

Old 04-11-2015, 09:19 AM

4,157 posts, read 2,781,610 times
@spencer, you're spot on! Obviously, DC isn't 'technically' within any state. But jurisdictional boundaries aside, 'Washington', in more realistic terms, includes more than just the District of Columbia. That entire region functions as a result of each other---the City doesn't become what it is today without MD or VA. Therefore, while technically false, DC realistically is the top city in Maryland AND Virginia. People unfamiliar with the inner culture of the Capital Metro area wouldn't understand this, but anyway...

Otherwise, Richmond is the top city in the Commonwealth, and it's not close. Norfolk is not on the same level, no matter how hard those people want it to be. Norfolk/Virginia Beach fight with Alexandria/Fairfax/Arlington for 2-6, and I'm sure a majority of Virginians agree Richmond is the top city...

Old 04-11-2015, 09:46 AM

6,863 posts, read 12,769,875 times
For Dallas to equal Houston you have to pair it with Fort Worth. But Dallas alone it falls to the second spot.

Old 04-11-2015, 09:56 AM

1,650 posts, read 1,294,155 times
Some folks are confusing "second city" population-wise with "second city" in terms of the city's prestige, name recognition, profile, etc., both outside and inside the state. For Georgia, Augusta is the second-largest metro after Atlanta, but Savannah is Georgia's second city in every other measure (unless you're a golfer-- but even most avid golfers would choose Savannah). In South Carolina, Greenville is the largest metro area, but Charleston is the "first city" and Columbia the second. In Florida, Tampa-St. Pete is the second most populous metro area after Miami, but Orlando might well be the second city (or it's a tie with T-SP).

Old 04-11-2015, 10:06 AM

6,510 posts, read 8,998,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
All of these people picking Richmond as Virginia's SECOND city! The vast majority of Virginians will tell you Richmond is one. Norfolk is probably two, although Alexandria gives it a good run for that spot....

Buffalo is only second to outsiders, far as NY is concerned. Natives and residents can argue Rochester or Albany for number two with validity...

I think the real answers are in the State forums. If we asked everyone to rank the cities in their own states there, we'd see how natives view without outside perception...
Alexandira seems to have a lot more charm and character than Norfolk. Norfolk is overrun with the Navy and all sorts of government people.

Rochester seems to have a lot more historic areas than Buffalo, I've been very impressed by the buildings of the city. I do think they are roughly the same size though, so unable to say which one is more deserving of second city title. Albany seems pretty small, even though it's a state capital, does it really have much going for it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or