U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is a Better Choice as a young black man
Austin 8 25.00%
Houston 17 53.13%
In Between 1 3.13%
Perhaps Dallas 8 25.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-10-2015, 11:32 PM

11 posts, read 17,251 times

Advertisements

Hello All. I am a young black man 22 years of age moving to Texas as an IT Professional from Chicago, Ill. I have narrowed my choices to either houston or austin. Here are some pros and cons to each city

Houston
Pros:

Huge City/ Sky Scrappers - More of a city/ Downtown feel similar to Chicago
Professional sports teams
More diverse neighborhoods - Not so much segregated according to my research
Close to Ocean
Cheap apartments

Cons:
Humid " much of Texas is"
Crime or theft high in much areas
Harder to land an IT job
More spaced out means might be a little harder to make new friends
Lack of public transportation

Austin
Pros:

Booming IT " Information Technology" Field for jobs
Lots of young adults
University of Texas Austin
SXSW
Safe compared to Houston neighborhoods

Cons:
Lack of black people " I read that as Austin is expanding the more blacks are leaving".
Lack of public transportation
Higher rent for apartments
Still a big "Small" city

Just from my research, Houston seems to be a city that is geared towards black people as acceptance. I read somewhere online where stickers in Austin seemed to say " keep Austin white". Now I don't want to move there strictly on behalf of race. I just would like to be accepted and have friends from all different races.

In Chicago I would have white people smirk at me, look at me weird and pull their purses away. I know what its like to be the only employee of color in an office of 40. It seems Asians and Hispanics have life made here in Chicago. Well I'm sick of it all. Texas is strong on the 2nd amendment and people actually like God there.

Houston has always been my top destination for Texas. The more I researched Texas I found Austin and Dallas as other suitable destinations. Houston from my research has many ethnic backgrounds. Many different languages, food, sports, etc. Houston has alot more affordable housing options than Austin seems to have. Houston seems to have a lot more things that I like such as museums and shopping centers that cater to my taste. The main thing I'm worried about in Houston is the crime. It seems to be similar to Chicago except without all the killing. More like petty vandalism and theft/ burglaries. I plan to bring my 2014 Charger to Texas and the last thing I need is for a broken window.

Austin on the other hand has a really strong IT presence there. I got a lot of jobs calling me back for applications there. The only problem is that since i'm not a "local" then I wouldn't get the job. As Austin grows, the amount of blacks that live there simmer down. I'd love to have friends that are white, Asian, Hispanic, etc. but how accepting would they be to blacks? Sure people will say "it doesn't matter what color you are" but until you have experienced racism or walked in my shoes, its hard to feel what I feel. I dress for the occasion and wear clothes that are fitted. Im open to doing new things as I am trying to exit my comfort zone. I'd like to be able to play tennis or go hiking.
I suppose what I'm really worried about is will i be accepted or will I feel " invisible" as other black people have stated about Austin.

My Questions for all the Texans who are willing to answer

Based on my post do you agree/ disagree with me on certain or all things/

Texas of all the states seem to have a lot of mixed races that date. What is the dating like for someone my age and ethnicity in these cities? I'd like to mix it up a bit.

Should I consider Dallas?

Which Job Market is better?

Suggestions or any comments are well appreciated. Thank you Guys
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2015, 08:43 AM

15,287 posts, read 16,839,007 times
I don't consider any part of Houston to have a feel similar to downtown Chicago.

Old 04-11-2015, 08:53 AM

2,038 posts, read 2,188,532 times
Ironic the liberals don't come out and bash OP like the other thread.

Black man asking to be with his people = OK.

White man asking to be with his people = redneck nazi.

OP, Dallas have a bigger technology industry than Houston after Austin. Depending on what type of IT you are, might want to found a job first before actually coming down here. It is not that cheap anymore to live down in Texas.

If you feel self-conscious about being with more people of your race, Houston is probably your best bet just because there are more blacks here. Austin is quite liberal but imo they are probably the worst closet racists out there.

Old 04-11-2015, 09:06 AM

3,467 posts, read 6,814,869 times
Dallas would be your best bet

Old 04-11-2015, 01:34 PM

642 posts, read 750,288 times
For a young single person, I would say Houston, so long as you live close in (or at least close to your job) and not spend all your free time commuting from the 'burbs.

I have lived in both cities, and love both.

Old 04-11-2015, 02:58 PM

633 posts, read 847,399 times
safety wise,I'd pick Austin.
I too am a black male in the IT industry thinking about moving to either Austin, SF or NYC.
Cons of Austin? Too spread out and... it's surrounded by Texas. I have a wife and kid so safety is my main concern so Houston definitely not!!!

Old 04-11-2015, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westbound and Down View Post
For a young single person, I would say Houston, so long as you live close in (or at least close to your job) and not spend all your free time commuting from the 'burbs.

I have lived in both cities, and love both.
Why would you say Houston? Can you provide any details?

Old 04-11-2015, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usc619 View Post
Dallas would be your best bet
any reason why?

Old 04-11-2015, 07:44 PM

18,211 posts, read 25,908,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfutrell1 View Post
any reason why?
Probably because it has a better IT industry than Houston. Lots of black Midwesterners like DFW more than Houston for some reason. However, dfw seems to attract families more than they do singles while Houston is the other way around. As for your post, Austin does have the better IT industry. The downtown is more active and the air is slightly drier than Houston. Black population not nearly as large but they are there. Houston does cater to more blacks easily than Austin. More shows, more bars, more clubs, etc. Socially, black Houston is seen as a better city than any city in the state. Lots of opportunities. They do have a crime problem though. I think Dallas would better for you as well myself.

Old 04-11-2015, 07:54 PM

4,925 posts, read 4,591,739 times
Austin, Houston and Dallas all are great cities. I was thinking of moving to Texas, I love the state but I had to get a job closer to family and my gf wanted to stay closer to home. You can't go wrong with either choice, Texas is fine for a black guy you will be able to fit in fine. Lot of blacks in Houston, Dallas and Austin. Texas is a very diverse state in general now with a lot of latino, Asians, blacks and whites all mixed in. Good job with your choices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City