U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2015, 04:27 AM

14,111 posts, read 22,704,684 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Miami does really well when it comes to global appeal and tourism, but it struggles when it comes to local economy and lucrative job market. Like someone said before, it's almost like a resort city. They called SF a "boutique city", but it's far more well rounded than your average touristy, resort city and has a real economy with real jobs.

I personally don't like Miami outside of the beach areas and neighborhoods, but then outside of those areas, what is Miami?

Chicago might underperform when it comes to global appeal and tourism, but it has real jobs. It has a real economy and it does not have a widespread underclass that's ignored and veiled by the appeal of beaches and nightlife and wealthy millionaires living in condos or owning a 2nd home. It's what I call a balanced city: It has enough appeal to be a tourist destination, while still being livable and corporate.
Yep, outside of South Beach, North Beach, Wynwood, Coconut Grove, Midtown, Downtown, Brickell, Design District, and Little Havana, what is Miami? Just a resort town, with not much else besides the beach. Outside Downtown, Midtown, Little Five Points, Sweet Auburn, Olympic Village, and Buckhead what is Atlanta?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2015, 06:33 AM

1,699 posts, read 1,590,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Yep, outside of South Beach, North Beach, Wynwood, Coconut Grove, Midtown, Downtown, Brickell, Design District, and Little Havana, what is Miami? Just a resort town, with not much else besides the beach. Outside Downtown, Midtown, Little Five Points, Sweet Auburn, Olympic Village, and Buckhead what is Atlanta?
Miami Beach/South Beach is the only 'resorty' portion of Miami. The rest are unique neighborhoods of Miami, from ethnic to artsy to upscale to boutique-y. Few cities in the USA have the scope of neighborhoods that Miami has. But they will reduce us to a resort city because Miami Beach shines so bright.

Old 04-17-2015, 07:41 AM

5,991 posts, read 8,291,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red John View Post
Location for starters.

There is no maybe about it. When it comes to their respective Hispanic populations, in every group, every facet, every socioeconomic tier -- Miami's Hispanic culture and population topples that of Chicago's.

The only group Chicago has in abundance that Miami lacks is a Mexican population; that also happens to be literally like the only group Chicago has too, with a bit of Puerto Rico, that is about it.

Sort of limited scope, no?
Ah, so we agree! Chicago, for being 1,000 miles or more from any Latin American country, does pretty well in attracting people from that region. Miami, for being less than 100 miles from the nearest Latin American country, also does pretty well at attracting people from that region. One is impressive, the other is a no-brainer.

Old 04-17-2015, 08:42 AM

14,792 posts, read 18,950,305 times
The US cities on the list are not surprising to me.

Old 04-17-2015, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
Ah, so we agree! Chicago, for being 1,000 miles or more from any Latin American country, does pretty well in attracting people from that region. Miami, for being less than 100 miles from the nearest Latin American country, also does pretty well at attracting people from that region. One is impressive, the other is a no-brainer.
Chicago get's latin americans (Mexicans) because of jobs, Miami because for Cubans it's often their first entry point into the USA. Who cares? neither are coming for the general appeal of the city.

This list however does measure the appeal of the cities to expats. So why isn't Chicago impressively representing there?

Old 04-17-2015, 09:45 AM

6,816 posts, read 6,927,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
An metropolitan area that has a robust economy, real jobs, and a sizable middle class that doesn't feel third world with a nice tree canopy. Atlanta may not attract the expats or global appeal that Miami does(not surprising, Miami is a beach resort city), but it's livable.

Old 04-17-2015, 09:50 AM

9,701 posts, read 7,215,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
I don't think relative distance has much to do with it, though. Minneapolis and Columbus are the leading cities for Somalians, yet there doesn't appear to be any geographic connection. NYC draws more Chinese than any other metro outside of Asia, yet couldn't be further from China.

Immigration rates are generally tied to economic and cultural factors. Miami/South Florida are attractive to Latins in part because of location, but also because the culture is the most heavily Latin of any U.S. metro, and because the weather/lifestyle is most similar. The Cubans originally came because, yes, Miami is the closest city to Havana, but most Miami Latins aren't Cuban (and in fact almost none of the huge number of recent arrivals are Cuban).

Old 04-17-2015, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
An metropolitan area that has a robust economy, real jobs, and a sizable middle class that doesn't feel third world with a nice tree canopy. Atlanta may not attract the expats or global appeal that Miami does(not surprising, Miami is a beach resort city), but it's livable.
So is Tampa/St Pete, so is San Diego.

What I read above is more akin to sour grapes, the reason Atlanta doesn't attract expats to nearly the numbers Miami does, is you're a far more boring city. The beach is a small factor in that.

Old 04-17-2015, 11:03 AM

1,324 posts, read 2,052,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Top 4 not really a surprise except I'm a litle surprised that NYC received 4 times more votes than the next closest. I wold have expected NYC to be "1 but I figured LA wouldn't be that far behind.
Agreed, expected NYC to be #1 for US, but not that far ahead of all other US cities.

Old 04-17-2015, 01:18 PM

6,623 posts, read 8,286,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steeps View Post
What is your PERSONAL ISSUE AS A EXPAT OF CHICAGO.
Nothing really. I haven't had a bad experience in Chicago.

I'm just a realist and see it for what it is. I don't think it is anywhere close to as nice, fun, great, or anything like that as what people on here want it to be like. I don't even think its architecture is as nice as people on here say it is, maybe for the United States I can see how it is top two in that but worldwide, honestly, most Chicago designs are not more pleasing to the eye than several other places of all sizes across Europe or Asia. I mean when I think of fun, I usually think of really large cities that are the absolute focal points to their country's culture, possibly social scene, and business center. You know a New York, a London, a Paris, a Tokyo, a Hong Kong. It doesn't even have to be those first tier cities either, it could be a Rome, a Seoul, a Moscow, a Amsterdam, a Tel-Aviv, a Los Angeles, a Buenos Aires, a Santiago, a Shanghai, or a Sydney too.

Chicago is a great city, one of the best cities on this side of the planet and one of the best (easily) in the United States. I would put it in a top five for the United States easily. It is a middling sort of place worldwide, I cant really tell what it has that is supposed to set it apart from anywhere else really.

So it's cheaper than New York? I guess there is that. Anything else?
Quote:
Originally Posted by steeps View Post
I even saw you come in the Chicago vs. Vancouver thread and make a make a post..... "my vote goes to Vancouver " LOL Showing you being a Disgruntled Chicagoan.
This little post with a one word answer has you so unnerved? Seriously?

http://www.city-data.com/forum/38882232-post33.html

Chicago, IL (vs) Vancouver, BC

Well if that unnerves you, then get used to it. I think as a rough estimate I like at least a good 20-25 places soundly more than Chicago and am not shy to voice that either, maybe another 10-20 others in addition to that, worldwide.

Back to expats from overseas. Chicago isn't on the list because it shouldn't be. The four cities that are on the list are the only ones that should be, maybe you can add 1-2 more but Chicago shouldn't be one of those two either.

Last edited by Trafalgar Law; 04-17-2015 at 01:40 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or