U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2015, 06:42 PM

555 posts, read 452,004 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Without the beaches, Miami wouldn't be what it is today. But to the same token, why folks visit Miami, goes far beyond just the physical beach it's self, and entails the urban amenities on the island Miami Beach. The beach has always been there, yet tourism was stagnant for various periods(1960's-1970's). Tourism in Miami was never as big as it is today. What changed?
Wealthier Latin American countries with more stable governments than the 60s and 70s. This means more tourism from those countries (Argentina, Brazil, Chile, etc) than ever before. And foreign tourism makes up 70% of Miami's tourism revenue.

Foreigners do 70% of tourist spending - Miami Today
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2015, 06:56 PM

9,701 posts, read 6,666,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paris-on-ponce View Post
Wealthier Latin American countries with more stable governments than the 60s and 70s. This means more tourism from those countries (Argentina, Brazil, Chile, etc) than ever before. And foreign tourism makes up 70% of Miami's tourism revenue.

Foreigners do 70% of tourist spending - Miami Today
And the beaches in Brazil are like 1000x better than in Miami. Clearly the beaches are not the main draw.

Old 04-17-2015, 07:00 PM

555 posts, read 452,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
And the beaches in Brazil are like 1000x better than in Miami. Clearly the beaches are not the main draw.
Exactly. It has more to do with nightlife, dining, and luxury retail that can't be readily found back home.

Old 04-17-2015, 08:07 PM

2,539 posts, read 2,309,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post
Most does Chicago "Most American" mean? What the hell is most American even mean, that makes no sense. Probably one of the dumbest things in an article I have ever read.
An urbanist's guide to Chicago: An urbanist's guide to Chicago: ‘the most American of American cities’

Old 04-17-2015, 08:19 PM

2,539 posts, read 2,309,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red John View Post
Nothing really. I haven't had a bad experience in Chicago.

I'm just a realist and see it for what it is. I don't think it is anywhere close to as nice, fun, great, or anything like that as what people on here want it to be like. I don't even think its architecture is as nice as people on here say it is, maybe for the United States I can see how it is top two in that but worldwide, honestly, most Chicago designs are not more pleasing to the eye than several other places of all sizes across Europe or Asia. I mean when I think of fun, I usually think of really large cities that are the absolute focal points to their country's culture, possibly social scene, and business center. You know a New York, a London, a Paris, a Tokyo, a Hong Kong. It doesn't even have to be those first tier cities either, it could be a Rome, a Seoul, a Moscow, a Amsterdam, a Tel-Aviv, a Los Angeles, a Buenos Aires, a Santiago, a Shanghai, or a Sydney too.

Chicago is a great city, one of the best cities on this side of the planet and one of the best (easily) in the United States. I would put it in a top five for the United States easily. It is a middling sort of place worldwide, I cant really tell what it has that is supposed to set it apart from anywhere else really.

So it's cheaper than New York? I guess there is that. Anything else?

This little post with a one word answer has you so unnerved? Seriously?

http://www.city-data.com/forum/38882232-post33.html

Chicago, IL (vs) Vancouver, BC

Well if that unnerves you, then get used to it. I think as a rough estimate I like at least a good 20-25 places soundly more than Chicago and am not shy to voice that either, maybe another 10-20 others in addition to that, worldwide.

Back to expats from overseas. Chicago isn't on the list because it shouldn't be. The four cities that are on the list are the only ones that should be, maybe you can add 1-2 more but Chicago shouldn't be one of those two either.
AGAIN YOU BRING CHICAGO IN THE LESSEN IT. YOU CREATE THREADS THAT IF OTHERS MENTION CHICAGO.... BAM YOU ARE THERE TO INSIST CHICAGO ISN'T.... SHOULDN'T BE... OR NO LONGER IS? JUST SO MANY THEADS YOU POST.....IT IS A PATTERN.

I mentioned the Vancouver vs. Chicago thread because... it was a prime example... Short and sweet ...you say "my vote is for Vancouver " it is a much smaller city and others noted it shouldn't be compared on a same level. Of course we compare many cities... but again..... THE PATTERN IS WHAT IT IS..YOU HAVE CHICAGO ISSUES. YOU POST CHICAGO IS A GREAT CITY...? PASSIVE-AGRESSIVE... BUT YOU STILL GIVE IT IN THREADS... NO PRAISE... BUT THE OPPOSITE.

Old 04-17-2015, 08:39 PM

14,006 posts, read 21,953,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paris-on-ponce View Post
Exactly. It has more to do with nightlife, dining, and luxury retail that can't be readily found back home.
Exactly. A combination of these urban amenities is part of the draw, rather than "just the beach" it's self, which happens to be the main draw for TRUE resort cities. Miami isn't merely a true resort city in that respect. I think at this point in the game, Miami has reached beyond resort town, status. There's an actual economy in Miami that's built on the fact of Miami being the nexus between America and Latin America. There's an economy built of foreign real estate investment, and construction, rather than just fun-in-the-sun, like Cancun.

Last edited by polo89; 04-17-2015 at 08:47 PM..

Old 04-17-2015, 11:49 PM

5,991 posts, read 7,914,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steeps View Post
AGAIN YOU BRING CHICAGO IN THE LESSEN IT. YOU CREATE THREADS THAT IF OTHERS MENTION CHICAGO.... BAM YOU ARE THERE TO INSIST CHICAGO ISN'T.... SHOULDN'T BE... OR NO LONGER IS? JUST SO MANY THEADS YOU POST.....IT IS A PATTERN.

I mentioned the Vancouver vs. Chicago thread because... it was a prime example... Short and sweet ...you say "my vote is for Vancouver " it is a much smaller city and others noted it shouldn't be compared on a same level. Of course we compare many cities... but again..... THE PATTERN IS WHAT IT IS..YOU HAVE CHICAGO ISSUES. YOU POST CHICAGO IS A GREAT CITY...? PASSIVE-AGRESSIVE... BUT YOU STILL GIVE IT IN THREADS... NO PRAISE... BUT THE OPPOSITE.
Take it easy....I think he knows how to push your buttons. You don't have to explain yourself to these nuts.

Old 04-18-2015, 09:06 AM

589 posts, read 583,206 times
Who cares about what this guy thinks about Chicago. First of all Chicago should not have even been in this discussion at all, Let alone be one of the main discussions, due to its absence on this list.

Is this thread closed yet?

Old 04-18-2015, 11:19 AM

1,632 posts, read 1,477,758 times
Quote:

I'm starting to think the Chicago boosters are foaming at the mouth, more so than the Atlanta ones.

Did you not read his post? He said Chicago is one of the best cities, this side of the planet and in the top 5. You have a pattern as well and its beginning to look like blatant trolling. You said 'NO PRAISE' was given, well I just gave you two examples. Not only do you post almost unreadable, incoherent walls of text, you don't even read what people say. Hey, I'm just giving you some constructive criticism. You know like what you said to SDPMiami? Can you deal with it?

Old 04-18-2015, 03:42 PM

6,479 posts, read 7,708,485 times
Quote:
YOU CREATE THREADS THAT IF OTHERS MENTION CHICAGO....
I haven't made a thread before, to my memory, to bash Chicago. That is some sort of nonsense.
Quote:
I mentioned the Vancouver vs. Chicago thread because... it was a prime example... Short and sweet ...you say "my vote is for Vancouver " it is a much smaller city and others noted it shouldn't be compared on a same level.
Again, I only said one word and that was "Vancouver."

http://www.city-data.com/forum/38882232-post33.html

I don't even get what is so unnerving about that. I love Chicago but I like Vancouver infinitely more. I would choose Vancouver to Chicago 9 out of 10 times and the 1 scenario where I would pick Chicago to Vancouver would be an aberration (probably under intoxicating substances).

If I knew that my one word post would leave you almost completely psychologically raped/discombobulated nearly 4 weeks later on then I wouldn't have made the post.

What, former Chicago residents cant like somewhere else better than Chicago? I like Chicago just fine, as an urban environment I only like New York more than it in the United States. Yeah I wouldn't live there ever again and prefer at least a good 20-40 places worldwide to it as a living option at this point but it is what it is, I prefer 20-40 places to San Francisco, Washington DC, and Toronto too but no one from those three complain about it (and I think of Chicago similarly to these three, in likability, to me personally all four are the same league in regards to how much they "appeal" to me). I know a lot of people in Chicago and always have fun. I don't ever think to myself that any of my friends there are living in an inferior city or a crappy place. I don't. They live in a pretty great world class city that few places could match on this side of the world.

I'm also not changing any opinion on the expats to the United States bypassing Chicago for New York, Los Angeles, or Miami either. Doesn't make Chicago a bad city by the way, it is still a cosmopolitan place, just absolutely less so than those three cities. In comparison to those three, honestly, Chicago should not be mentioned because there is definitely a noticeable drop from them to Chicago.

Last edited by Facts Kill Rhetoric; 04-18-2015 at 05:10 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or