U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2015, 02:32 PM

10,087 posts, read 12,567,366 times

Advertisements

RE: Chicago vs. Miami, how many Will Smith songs are there about Chicago?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wiYBM0Sgfw

/Thread.

EDIT: You know what would be more interesting? A list of American cities found most appalling by foreigners.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2015, 03:15 PM

1,632 posts, read 1,479,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deluusions View Post
grow up, so childish.
Asking a question and then complimenting someone, is 'childish' by your perception. Yeah, seems totally logical.

Old 04-16-2015, 03:23 PM

6,479 posts, read 7,714,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steeps View Post
Apparently totals of ALL TOURIST DON'T COUNT FOR YOU FOR CHICAGO RISING?
No.
Quote:
Originally Posted by steeps View Post
LOL That's for sure... He is a Disgruntled expat himself. It's his Hometown too. He is talking about himself, with his post below... LOL
First, Chicago was a second home to me, first one in the United States so in a way is my hometown here in America. In actuality though, Chicago is not my hometown, Singapore, where I was born and hold the passport for, is my hometown.

Second, again, I don't hate Chicago. Quite love the actual city; lots of fun times there (especially when I was a kid). I just criticize it though. Don't mind me, I plan to always criticize Chicago. It is a city that definitely wastes a lot of its potential and that is frustrating to see (constantly).

Other than that and what I call the 4C's of Chicago (crime, corruption, cold, and Cubs), I don't have any beef with Chicago at all.

Old 04-16-2015, 03:28 PM

6,206 posts, read 8,359,727 times
Trying to boost Miami by saying it's number 15 in the world isn't doing it many favors. Was this thread moved FROM the Miami Forum? Wouldn't be surprised...

Old 04-16-2015, 04:13 PM

25 posts, read 26,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
If you "hear other languages more often than you hear English" then we can only assume you are either lying or never leave your home (which apparently happens to be non-English speaking).

Even in Miami, the vast majority of people speak English. In Philly, probably 95%+ speak English. Even most immigrants speak English.
Quote:
According to the Census, 58.5 percent of the Miami-Dade county's 2.4 million residents speak Spanish _ and half of those say they don't speak English well. English-only speakers make up 27.2 percent of the county's residents.
Miami's Spanish-Speaking Population Outnumber English Speakers

Old 04-16-2015, 04:14 PM

589 posts, read 583,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
RE: Chicago vs. Miami, how many Will Smith songs are there about Chicago?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wiYBM0Sgfw

/Thread.

EDIT: You know what would be more interesting? A list of American cities found most appalling by foreigners.
How many Frank Sinatra songs are there about Miami?

Old 04-16-2015, 04:20 PM

6,795 posts, read 6,591,740 times
Miami does really well when it comes to global appeal and tourism, but it struggles when it comes to local economy and lucrative job market. Like someone said before, it's almost like a resort city. They called SF a "boutique city", but it's far more well rounded than your average touristy, resort city and has a real economy with real jobs.

I personally don't like Miami outside of the beach areas and neighborhoods, but then outside of those areas, what is Miami?

Chicago might underperform when it comes to global appeal and tourism, but it has real jobs. It has a real economy and it does not have a widespread underclass that's ignored and veiled by the appeal of beaches and nightlife and wealthy millionaires living in condos or owning a 2nd home. It's what I call a balanced city: It has enough appeal to be a tourist destination, while still being livable and corporate.

Old 04-16-2015, 04:52 PM

1,699 posts, read 1,480,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Miami does really well when it comes to global appeal and tourism, but it struggles when it comes to local economy and lucrative job market. Like someone said before, it's almost like a resort city. They called SF a "boutique city", but it's far more well rounded than your average touristy, resort city and has a real economy with real jobs.

I personally don't like Miami outside of the beach areas and neighborhoods, but then outside of those areas, what is Miami?

Chicago might underperform when it comes to global appeal and tourism, but it has real jobs. It has a real economy and it does not have a widespread underclass that's ignored and veiled by the appeal of beaches and nightlife and wealthy millionaires living in condos or owning a 2nd home. It's what I call a balanced city: It has enough appeal to be a tourist destination, while still being livable and corporate.
Jobs are tough here, lucky for me that's not an issue for me.

But if you can swing a good job, what is there practically to do in Chicago than in Miami or any other city (besides the mega cities of NYC and LA).

This 3pm I went to the beach, and basked in green, warm, clear water. Tonight I will go to a poolside party on some rooftop overlooking the atlantic. And I will eat at restaurants from literally everywhere.

What would be the day to day life of someone in an other city that includes more than what life is in Miami Beach?

Old 04-16-2015, 05:36 PM

6,206 posts, read 8,359,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post

Very true. Miami has more appeal as a resort city and vacation destination and Chicago has the more deeply rooted and self sustaining economy, in which it is a global player.

Old 04-16-2015, 06:05 PM

2,539 posts, read 2,311,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red John View Post
So explain this concept to me, since you get it; what is there to be proud of with this list?
In your world do you look at this list and just like it because Chicago managed to crack the top ten? When I look at it all I see is the third largest city/metropolis in America finishing six spots lower at ninth.
What is your PERSONAL ISSUE AS A EXPAT OF CHICAGO. You even create threads to see Chicago in a lower light. You can't wait to downplay anyone who TRIES TO PROMOTE AND DEFEND CHICAGO? I even saw you come in the Chicago vs. Vancouver thread and make a make a post..... "my vote goes to Vancouver " LOL Showing you being a Disgruntled Chicagoan.
I merely defend comments that IN PARTICULAR .... SINGLE OUT CHICAGO TO SAY AND CLAIM TO SHOW HOW IT IS BESTED????? LIKE YOU and others like The Miami guy. NOLA and that guy with Chicago in his ID.
Why shouldn't I ..... it is still my favorite Big city. Though I'm away from it for 20-some years. I did adopt it as my second hometown

As I noted NYC is the WORLDS CITY LA has the world wanting to see Hollywood and California, SF has become a BOUTIQUE CITY extremely touristy, Miami has the RESORT of MIAMI BEACH NEXT DOOR and Orlando, Las Vegas and Honolulu. Are TOTAL TOURIST TOWNS. Washington DC being the Nations Capitol has many come for business and POLITICAL REASONS. It also has NATIONAL FREE MUSEUMS.

I defend Chicago when those wanting lessen its value, worth and claim its declining in this that and other reason????
I post POSITIVE SIGHTS THAT DON'T SHOW DECLINE AND LOWERING PRESTIGE. YOU WANT TO SHOW? WHY FOR CHICAGO WHY? "Red John" ....

AT LEAST CHICAGO CAN BOAST HIGHER DOMESTIC VISITORS THEN MIGHTY NYC?

Chicago tourism hits record with more than 50M visitors in 2014 | WGN-TV

CHICAGO — Chicago has hit a new milestone in tourism and is launching an ad campaign to keep the momentum going.
The city had more than 50 million visitors last year, 2014 a 3 1/2% increase over 2013.

Chicago had more than 48.5 million domestic visitors last year, (((((topping New York by more than four million.))))) .
Chicago still lags behind other major U.S. cities in drawing international visitors.
So Chicago tourism officials are unveiling a new marketing campaign called “Chicago Epic.”
It will feature Chicago scenes that paint the city in a more modern light.
The television and digital campaign will kick off in the spring.

Apparently totals of ALL TOURIST DON'T COUNT FOR YOU FOR CHICAGO RISING? - Chicago posts big tourism numbers

09 FEB 2015: Chicago officials say for the first time the city had more than 50 million visitors in 2014. City officials made the announcement last week, saying Chicago hosted about 50.2 million visitors last year. That's a 3.5 percent increase over 2013.
However, they say international visitors continue to increase, too

Chicago makes Lonely Planet's world's Top 10 list - Lonely Planet's Best in Travel 2014 - top 10 cities - Lonely Planet

Readers rank Chicago over New York City as best travel city in United States
Conde Nast Ranks Chicago Over NYC in Top Tourist Destinations | NBC Chicago
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or