Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2015, 05:07 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,923,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDPMiami View Post
That's fair but it's due to me posting an article on Miami and people acting indignant how Miami, this Latin American city in the USA, can get such a high mark.

Miami was bashed here before I made an account, and I don't even see any boosters (besides me). Polo is very mild, almost concedes every point made not to be argumentative.

Anyways, an example of the Miami hate in this forum, was the recent walk score thread (Walk Score/ Transit Score/ Bike Score 2015)

Miami did very well, getting a 5th position, right behind Philadelphia and besting Chicago. And sure enough there was people complaining. The first post to mention Miami was

And the explanation?

That same 'complaint' can be used to discredit San Francisco as well, which by land area is only a bit bigger than Miami.

And on, Miami cannot do well on this forum, people on CD are incredulous to it.
You're right. I am one of the more mild Miami boosters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2015, 06:49 PM

183 posts, read 220,370 times
For some reason, Philadelphia gets left out of the list. There are plenty of international people here and I hear other languages more often than I hear English being spoken.

Old 04-15-2015, 06:57 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,327,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_curious_urbanist View Post
For some reason, Philadelphia gets left out of the list. There are plenty of international people here and I hear other languages more often than I hear English being spoken.
If you "hear other languages more often than you hear English" then we can only assume you are either lying or never leave your home (which apparently happens to be non-English speaking).

Even in Miami, the vast majority of people speak English. In Philly, probably 95%+ speak English. Even most immigrants speak English.

Old 04-15-2015, 08:50 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,128,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red John View Post
Your expectations were to see Chicago on this list?

The same Chicago with declining immigration numbers, almost ALL of its Hispanic population being from one single country (Mexico), and a hypersegregated socioeconomic environment? That same Chicago?

It is easy to see why Chicago didn't make the list, why should it be on the list? Chicago is a middling place for expats from another country, it is middle of the pack among major places with the foreign born population (as a percentage) and well below its weight in raw numbers. Not the best, not the worst, nothing to write home about at all.

For the third largest city/metropolis in the United States, it finishes a lowly 9th or 10th in international tourism. Well below its weight and its capabilities (given the airport it has).
Damn, you're always dishing out on Chicago.

Old 04-16-2015, 09:13 AM

2,535 posts, read 3,278,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
LOL That's for sure... He is a Disgruntled expat himself. It's his Hometown too. He is talking about himself, with his post below... LOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red John View Post
Your expectations were to see Chicago on this list?
The same Chicago with declining immigration numbers, almost ALL of its Hispanic population being from one single country (Mexico), and a hypersegregated socioeconomic environment? That same Chicago?

It is easy to see why Chicago didn't make the list, why should it be on the list? Chicago is a middling place for expats from another country, it is middle of the pack among major places with the foreign born population (as a percentage) and well below its weight in raw numbers. Not the best, not the worst, nothing to write home about at all.

For the third largest city/metropolis in the United States, it finishes a lowly 9th or 10th in international tourism. Well below its weight and its capabilities (given the airport it has).
Note the cities before Chicago. Chicago always had Mighty New York to gain most Foreign tourist. Many whom will make one trip in their lives to the US. LA on the West Coast gets a lot of Asian tourist too along with others who have Mighty Hollywood and California dreaming as choice to see. I would probably too if outside the US. Other cities then fall on other visits if the are wealthy enough? NYC takes a full 1/3 of the Foreign tourist

Apparently totals of ALL TOURIST DON'T COUNT FOR YOU FOR CHICAGO RISING? - Chicago posts big tourism numbers

09 FEB 2015: Chicago officials say for the first time the city had more than 50 million visitors in 2014. City officials made the announcement last week, saying Chicago hosted about 50.2 million visitors last year. That's a 3.5 percent increase over 2013.
However, they say international visitors continue to increase, too

Chicago makes Lonely Planet's world's Top 10 list - Lonely Planet's Best in Travel 2014 - top 10 cities - Lonely Planet

Readers rank Chicago over New York City as best travel city in United States
Conde Nast Ranks Chicago Over NYC in Top Tourist Destinations | NBC Chicago

Cities are graded on six categories, which include culture, atmosphere and shopping. Chicago had solid numbers in all of them except for a low 68 on the friendliness scale.
Chicago fell behind Charleston, Sante Fe, San Francisco and Honolulu. However, it beat New York City, which was number eight on the list

International visitors numbers Mighty NYC takes 1/3 CHICAGO JUST HAS NYC AS A "WORLDS CITY NOW" like London and Paris. Has it take 1st choice. CHICAGO HAS TO COMPETE WITH NYC. IT DOES NOT COMPETE WITH ...RESORTCITIES ....FOR TOURIST. EXCEPT FOR CONVENTIONS.
Top U.S. States and Cities Visited by Overseas Travelers, 2013
1.New York 9.58 million ............Capitol of the World
2.Miami,4.01 million .................Resort
3.Los Angeles 3.78 million .........Hollywood
4.Orlando 3.71 million ...............Resort
5.San Francisco 3.00 million .......Boutique city
6.Las Vegas 2.85 million ............Resort
7.Honolulu 2.56 ........................Resort
8.Washington, DC 1.70 million ...Capitol of a Nation
9.Chicago 1.38 ......................"Most American City"
10.Boston 1.28 million................Top University city

Most cities above Chicago are TOTAL RESORT CITIES like Honolulu, Las Vegas, Orlando, and Miami. NYC is Just a Icon on its own. LA has Hollywood the world loves and SF has become a Boutique City with large Asian tourist AND CALIFORNIA DREAMING IS STILL ALIVE IN THE WORLD.
Washington DC is our Nations Capital. Most Capital cities are other nations top cities.

Old 04-16-2015, 09:24 AM

1,699 posts, read 2,150,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Chicago posters come in, whine Chicago is not on list, say it's embarrassing to be behind Miami, a third world resort City.

Red John comes in, asks why Chicago should be on list. Very mild and factual defense.

You come in and say, damn you're always ragging on Chicago. Let me guess, you're from Chicago

Old 04-16-2015, 10:11 AM

145 posts, read 347,047 times
I feel like there's a difference between want and feasible.

I "want" to live in SF because of it's combination of big city amenities and natural beauty. However, I don't think it's "feasible" for me to commute over an hour each way from my shack of a home because I can't afford to pay sky high rent on top of the crazy taxes there. If I had all the money in the world, I'd move there in a heartbeat, but I don't and alas, I can't live there.

It's akin to asking a teenage guy what his dream car is. I highly doubt he'll say "Honda Accord" or "Toyota Camry" and would likely say he dreams of owning a Beamer or Benz. However, most likely, he will also been seen in the former because owning the dream isn't worth all the extra headaches that come with it. It's the same thing with cities.

Old 04-16-2015, 10:24 AM

2,770 posts, read 2,601,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLake View Post
Sorry, is there an ignore feature on this site? You're really a very aggravating poster with seemingly mean intent.
^^^Desires to ignore someone, then goes on to post a reply to said person. . .

Old 04-16-2015, 10:28 AM

2,770 posts, read 2,601,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steeps View Post
It wasn't Miami HATE? That heated other threads. It was YOU BLASTING AND DEMEANING others comments on other cities. If they did not place Miami, as the center of the Universe? Miami is called the "Capitol of Latin America" especially its Rich to play and have a condo downtown or city of Miami Beach you live and poorer immigrants But IS NOT FOR THE REST OF THE WORLD. Miami Beach is a Resort city. As that, it gets plenty of wealthy tourist.

The rest of us have the rest of Florida's whole coast, of beaches and other attractions to boast about our enjoyment in Florida.

Miami the city suffers as many others from a high % of Poor. Il's not ALL.... a Miami Beach and Palm Springs. Many times it is the way we disagree with others? That STIRS A THREAD UP. If so many others you anger in your replies? Is it really all them and Miami Hate? Many other threads with Miami I saw. Were you against All the rest. I too have to watch how I post if I get heated too.

Someone else gave a similar assessment of how YOU Post. STIRS things up... and in not just Miami vs. threads.
Is English your first language?

Old 04-16-2015, 10:39 AM

2,535 posts, read 3,278,040 times
Quote:
Chicago posters come in, whine Chicago is not on list, say it's embarrassing to be behind Miami, a third world resort City.

Red John comes in, asks why Chicago should be on list. Very mild and factual defense.

You come in and say, damn you're always ragging on Chicago. Let me guess, you're from Chicago
I'm from and on PA now. I did live in Chicago in the 80s and visit yearly. It's "Red John" who is a Disgruntled Chicago expat.

Again.... No one is commenting on why is NOT on the list? IT IS. We are commenting on YOUR MAKING SURE YOU NOTE CHICAGO IS LESSER. If You didn't specifically pick on Chicago all the time ? Noting it in threads YOU even create....SPPACIFICALLY. We wouldn't start our opinions in defense of Chicago. Then we have "Red John" and as a expat of Chicago has hometown issues that he demeans Chicago in threads. He votes against Chicago in every pole thread.
Quote:
It's to be expected, expats don't know much about Chicago. It's kind of a city in the middle of nowhere, with cold winters and no 'sex' appeal. So on a survey, why would anyone declare they want to live there?
Now when the chips fall on the table, and they realize that the lucrative job will be in Chicago, or something like this, they will move there and give it a shot.
You again always BRING CHICAGO IN IN YOUR COMMENTS AND "YOU CRY WE HATE MIAMI". If we defend Chicago and others who question Miami on list or for all you boast it for? Of court.... weather is a drawback for Chicago. If it was on the Coast in the sunbelt. It would be the size of NYC.

So there you go....OH and Chicago DID MAKE THE INTERNATIONAL LIST⤵
Top U.S. States and Cities Visited by Overseas Travelers, 2013
1.New York 9.58 million ............Capitol of the World
2.Miami,4.01 million .................Resort
3.Los Angeles 3.78 million .........Hollywood California dreaming
4.Orlando 3.71 million ...............Resort
5.San Francisco 3.00 million .......Boutique city
6.Las Vegas 2.85 million ............Resort
7.Honolulu 2.56 ........................Resort
8.Washington, DC 1.70 million ...Capitol of a Nation
9.Chicago 1.38 ......................"Most American City"
10.Boston 1.28 million................Top University city

LET'S END THIS BACK AND FORTH ARGUEING.... BEFORE Moderators delete post or close the thread.
BOAST MIAMI WITHOUT DEMEANING AND BRINGING OTHER CITIES LIKE SF AND CHICAGO IN YOUR COMMENTS. But others will continue to have their own opinions still to yours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City