U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2015, 09:29 AM

5 posts, read 7,456 times

Advertisements

Hey guys,

I'm a new poster but have been reading the site for quite some time and decided to finally ask a question.

My fiancé and I are both RN's and she is a new grad so we're looking to relocate from Michigan to somewhere with better quality of life. We live in Ann Arbor which is a great college town, so we like to keep the same feel for our next city. Fort Collins and Madison both caught our eyes, and I was hoping to get some input from you all about how they compare or differ?

Weather: How bad are the winters at either place? Snowfall?

Economy: Both of us being RN's we like to be around a diverse healthcare economy, or atleast have options. As well, I'd like to know overall how things are going. One of the reasons we don't love Ann Arbor is the university controls 90% of the cities economy, and that is a little scary.

Outdoors/Healthy Lifestyle: We're big outdoorsy people and love having access to nature. Also we like to be in a place that encourages biking, eating healthy, etc.

Safety/Quality of life: One day we'll have kids and I wonder how safe and how nice of a place to raise a family each one is. How are the schools?

I would probably be attending University of Wisconsin if I were to move there as well, is that a pretty good school overall, does anyone know?

Thanks for any input guys. This is such a hard decision and I'd appreciate any feedback.

Thanks
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2015, 07:57 PM

21 posts, read 26,247 times
Been to Colorado (not Fort Collins), and been to Madison many times. Lived in IL and MI my whole life.

Weather: Neither place will compare to Ann Arbor in terms of snowfall, but Madison is COLD. It doesn't get any moderation from the lake like cities in Michigan do, so you get winter from late October through early April. You get bitter cold from Nov-Feb. It's 5 degrees colder on average than Ann Arbor. Denver (can't speak to Ft Collins) is much more moderate, winters are mild, not as much precipitation.

Economy: They're both small cities, so the job market will be somewhat limited compared to nearby cities like Denver and Milwaukee, respectively. That said, both cities seem to have healthy economies.

Outdoors: Expect to be indoors half the year or more if you choose Madison. It's hard to enjoy the winter weather (they do have some skiing in WI) when it's -20 degrees out. Fort Collins has 4 seasons, but isn't as brutally cold. If you like skiing, you could potentially spend every month of the year outdoors.

Safety: Both cities are safer than the national average, if that says anything.

Can't speak to schools or much else.

Old 04-12-2015, 08:23 AM

84,989 posts, read 98,847,978 times
Compare and contrast:

Both are college/university communities
Both are just a short ways away from a large city (Denver, Milwaukee)

Madison has the flagship university in Wisconsin, Ft. Collins has a lesser-ranked uni. (Think-UM vs MSU.)
Madison is also the state capital of Wisconsin, has a lot of government jobs. Ft. Collins is more of a university community period.
The U of W has a big teaching hospital, a medical school, nursing school, etc. Ft. Collins has a vet school, no people medical/nursing degrees or teaching hospitals.

The previous poster covered the weather pretty well. Ft. Collins' weather is similar to Denver, as is every city on the Front Range. You can also look at weather websites, OP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or