U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-17-2015, 08:06 PM
 
Location: St. Louis
2,480 posts, read 2,227,289 times
Reputation: 2353

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Wrong and wrong. You have serious trouble with reading comprehension.

You claimed that you didn't care about the relative size of a city, or the relative size of anything or anyplace. To you, everyplace was the same, as long as there are cars and houses and people. So why are you in Chicago? You would be just as happy in rural Mississippi, because it's all the same, according to you.
No, I claimed that I didn't care if NYC had 100x more water tanks than Chicago. Here's my statement:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerseusVeil View Post
As for water tower tanks and garbage disposals, who honestly even notices such things when they're visiting? I know there are some in the neighborhood that I live in in Chicago, but I don't care about them, nor was I on the lookout for them in NYC. Whether New York has 100x more of them than Chicago makes little difference to me, and most likely to the vast majority of tourists.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
And you still lack reading comprehension, or logical reasoning. You claimed that NYC smelled unique (while strangely trying to argue NYC isn't unique), and that is obviously absurd
I said flat about bad. I never once talked about the "unique" smell of NYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerseusVeil View Post
The alley thing was honestly my biggest issue with NYC. Oh dear Lord does Manhattan smell awful in the middle of July.
Should I have prefaced it "not all of Manhattan, but parts?" Sure. But the fact is that it certainly smelled worse than what I'm used.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Where in the world are there no "piles of garbage". Please name me one city, please. Chicago has the exact same piles of garbage as in NYC. It may even be worse, as Chicago tends to have more small buildings, so the garbage is thrown right outside, rather than enclosed like in major buildings in NYC.

Apparently you're unaware of this, but "dumpsters and cans" are used around the globe, including NYC. I have never heard of a city that doesn't use garbage cans.
I have been in NYC in the middle of winter with thrown out Christmas trees lining the streets in residential parts of Manhattan, and it was the same in July with piles of garbage bags. If you honestly haven't seen this then the only one blind here is you.

Chicago does not pile trash bags on its sidewalks by streets in nice parts of town like it's no big deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Yet you now refuse to reveal the location of this mythical apartment with parking, you refuse to reveal the location of the alcohol-free bodega, and you claim there are no garbage cans in NYC. No, you're lying.
Let me go text my friend his cross street so I can post it on an internet while I argue with a troll. Yep, let me get right on that. He lived off the N and the Q about 2-3 stops before it goes into Manhattan. That's all you're getting.

Here's my quote on the bodega:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerseusVeil View Post
As for the bodegas, my only experience with them was that I found it annoying that the ones in Harlem didn't bother to sell much alcohol, if any at all. If they did it was going to be beer, so you literally had to trek to find some place that sold hard alcohol.
Maybe I shouldn't have said if any at all, but all I was finding was beer, which I did not want. You haven't proven me wrong on that either, and that was off 125th not terribly far from that H&M. No idea what the cross was anymore, and I frankly don't care.

I also never said no one uses cans anywhere in NYC, but when there's bags of garbage on the sidewalks right off streets of Manhattan, they could use more of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Your point is that you are personally ignorant about NYC, and personally completely ignorant about all cities on earth having cars and traffic, so NYC isn't different in terms of driving because you personally didn't know better? Pretty ridiculous argument.
I personally said my experience with NYC with limited, that I only stayed in 3 places, and spent most of my time in Manhattan. You went off the deep end because I didn't think NYC was un-American enough. My mind still isn't changed, even though you've been nothing but petulant and insufferable.

Last edited by PerseusVeil; 04-17-2015 at 08:45 PM.. Reason: Moved reply
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-17-2015, 08:08 PM
 
Location: St. Louis
2,480 posts, read 2,227,289 times
Reputation: 2353
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanCheetah View Post
Geez guys . Lame you guys are arguing this on a lovely Friday evening.
I intend to meet up with people in an hour, so that was my final reply for the night.

Edit: Actually I fibbed a little. I came back because I wanted to post stuff about the trash before I go. I'm talking about stuff mentioned here:
http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/top-...-in-nyc-206001

And what looks like this:
http://assets.dnainfo.com/generated/...JPG/larger.jpg
https://cbsnewyork.files.wordpress.c...bags.jpg?w=420

Last edited by PerseusVeil; 04-17-2015 at 08:24 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-17-2015, 08:34 PM
 
1,462 posts, read 1,602,225 times
Reputation: 1019
The 'Bay Area' apparently has 20 Walmarts, in between ~12 miles and ~37 miles from SF, mostly in the East Bay and the Outer Bay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-17-2015, 08:49 PM
 
275 posts, read 315,594 times
Reputation: 302
The problem with this thread is that the U.S. is a nation of immigrants. Most people are picking cities with a lot of ethnic diversity, but IMO that's as American as you can get.

I'd pick cities that have areas that look like war zones...Detroit, St. Louis, and Camden are three good candidates.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-17-2015, 08:53 PM
 
Location: Nashville TN
4,925 posts, read 4,919,120 times
Reputation: 4778
Quote:
Originally Posted by qwerty124 View Post
Lots of parts in LA make me feel like I'm in Mexico.
Jay Leno used to say all the time on his show that California was just Nothern Mexico lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-17-2015, 10:40 PM
 
3,751 posts, read 3,720,699 times
Reputation: 3526
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadicalAtheist View Post
The 'Bay Area' apparently has 20 Walmarts, in between ~12 miles and ~37 miles from SF, mostly in the East Bay and the Outer Bay.
Per capita Walmart still isn't particularly successful in California though. I'm pretty sure Target actually outsells Walmart in California.

Last edited by Mini-apple-less; 04-17-2015 at 10:49 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-17-2015, 11:03 PM
 
Location: Atlanta
5,297 posts, read 3,513,713 times
Reputation: 4466
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerseusVeil View Post
I personally said my experience with NYC with limited, that I only stayed in 3 places, and spent most of my time in Manhattan. You went off the deep end because I didn't think NYC was un-American enough. My mind still isn't changed, even though you've been nothing but petulant and insufferable.
It's because you're dealing with someone that allows where they live to define who they are.

To not acknowledge that their city should be bowed down to and worshiped in every possible way is taken as a personal insult. They will never back down, and can't be reasoned with.

Last edited by JMatl; 04-18-2015 at 12:08 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-17-2015, 11:19 PM
 
6,968 posts, read 14,100,231 times
Reputation: 4553
New Orleans
Honolulu
Miami
Does San Juan, PR count?
I've never been, but maybe Baltimore, especially in the older parts with the cobblestone streets and row homes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-18-2015, 03:47 AM
 
Location: East Coast of the United States
17,257 posts, read 19,555,335 times
Reputation: 13026
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Bones View Post
The problem with this thread is that the U.S. is a nation of immigrants. Most people are picking cities with a lot of ethnic diversity, but IMO that's as American as you can get.
Bingo.

There is no U.S. city that feels even as foreign as Montreal. And even that has many typical North American aspects.

I'd like to see someone find a public university in the U.S. that has overall curricula not in English. Somewhere in Miami? San Diego? Hmm...

Last edited by BigCityDreamer; 04-18-2015 at 04:12 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-18-2015, 04:55 AM
 
Location: Pasadena, CA
9,832 posts, read 7,679,999 times
Reputation: 6288
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlando-calrissian View Post
Yeah, the people saying NYC...I don't get it. It's different than your typical Sunbelt city, but there's nothing un-American about it. In fact, NYC is probably the most American city there is. I mean, it's in tons of movies, TV shows, songs, etc.
Agreed 100%. People are seriously arguing that density and transit make NYC feel un-American? Pretty funny.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top