U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2015, 06:29 AM

9,701 posts, read 6,669,821 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
Agreed 100%. People are seriously arguing that density and transit make NYC feel un-American? Pretty funny.
Considering that no other U.S. city has even remotely comparable density and transit, it would be "pretty funny" to argue otherwise. I mean, when every city is at basically 0, and one city is at 2 million when it comes to extreme density, if that isn't a difference, I don't know what is. If every city has 75%+ auto ownership, and only one city has half that of everyone else, if that isn't a difference, I don't know what is.

This thread has basically devolved to a bunch of butt-hurt forumers from cities with inferiority complexes (ahem, Chicago) taking offense to any list of five different cities, because any list will offend their delicate sensibilities.

Given that there's no list possible where some ignorant forumer won't declare "New Orleans? Heck no! I had a po-boy in Topeka once!" I don't see the point of this thread. I guarantee that some forumer would argue that Venice, Italy is the exact same as Houston. "Hey, they both have buildings and people and plumbing and stuff, they're the same, really!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2015, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerseusVeil View Post
No, I claimed that I didn't care if NYC had 100x more water tanks than Chicago. Here's my statement:
That's exactly my point. You're making you claim based on your complete ignorance. Why, exactly? The fact that you are personally ignorant of NYC and cities in the U.S. doesn't mean that there are no such differences.
Quote:
I said flat about bad. I never once talked about the "unique" smell of NYC
Then what is your point? If Chicago and every single city in the U.S. has the exact same "bad" smell as NYC, then what exactly are you attempting to argue?
Quote:
Should I have prefaced it "not all of Manhattan, but parts?" Sure. But the fact is that it certainly smelled worse than what I'm used.
You just claimed NYC smells the same as everywhere else, now you claim it smells worse. You're arguing with yourself. Let me know how that one turns out!
Quote:
I have been in NYC in the middle of winter with thrown out Christmas trees lining the streets in residential parts of Manhattan, and it was the same in July with piles of garbage bags. If you honestly haven't seen this then the only one blind here is you.
And I have seen the exact same thing in Chicago and every other city on earth. There is no difference, whatsoever.
Quote:
Chicago does not pile trash bags on its sidewalks by streets in nice parts of town like it's no big deal.
Yes, Chicago does the exact same thing. You seem to be as ignorant of Chicago as you are of NYC. I have lived in Chicago, and we put our garbage outside, exactly the same as everywhere else on earth.

You think there is no garbage pickup in Chicago? In fact, it's probably more common in Chicago, since there are more small buildings, so there is no central storage facility like in highrises in NYC. How do you think garbage is picked up around the world if the garbage isn't put outside for pickup?

And what do you mean by "nice parts of town"? You are claiming there is no sanitation pickup in the "nice parts of town"? Huh?? I lived in Lincoln Park and Lakeview, very nice parts of town, and we put the garbage outside for sanitation pickup. Garbage in Illinois didn't seem to smell different than garbage in other states.
Quote:
Let me go text my friend his cross street so I can post it on an internet while I argue with a troll. Yep, let me get right on that. He lived off the N and the Q about 2-3 stops before it goes into Manhattan. That's all you're getting.
So now you admit you lied about parking in Manhattan. Previously you claimed that buildings in Manhattan had parking, and were no different than anywhere else in the U.S. Now you claim that buildings in Queens can have parking, which is kind of blindingly obvious to anyone. No one would ever claim that there isn't a single parking space in an entire city or metro area. What sort of standard is that? Hong Kong has parking, so it's the exact same as Schaumburg, IL?

The point is that NYC is the one city in the U.S. where parking is the exception, not the norm. You seem to ignore the point by playing "Where's Waldo" with parking spaces, in some wack-a-mole "gotcha" game. Even Venice, Italy has parking spaces. Doesn't mean Venice is the same as Sprawlburbia, USA.
Quote:
Maybe I shouldn't have said if any at all, but all I was finding was beer, which I did not want. You haven't proven me wrong on that either, and that was off 125th not terribly far from that H&M. No idea what the cross was anymore, and I frankly don't care.
Newsflash: beer is alcohol. You lied about this too, as you claimed there was no alcohol in bodegas.
Quote:
I also never said no one uses cans anywhere in NYC, but when there's bags of garbage on the sidewalks right off streets of Manhattan, they could use more of them.
Which is the exact same thing as every place on earth. There are bags of garbage in Chicago and in every other city. How could garbage be stored if not in garbage bags?

It's illegal to put residential garbage in public street garbage cans. It's illegal in NYC, and Chicago. You put your household waste in streetcorner garbage bins?

And I don't know what you mean by "they could use more of them". Previously you were offended by garbage, now you claim you want more garbage.
Quote:
I personally said my experience with NYC with limited, that I only stayed in 3 places, and spent most of my time in Manhattan. You went off the deep end because I didn't think NYC was un-American enough. My mind still isn't changed, even though you've been nothing but petulant and insufferable.
No, you haven't given one good reason why my original list was wrong. All you did was admit you were totally ignorant about things in NYC, then you made up stuff that you later admitted wasn't true, and refused to give us a list of five cities that were more different.

So, once again, what's your list? Please give us a list of five more un-American major U.S. cities. We're all waiting! I would love to see this list!

Old 04-18-2015, 11:35 AM

5,373 posts, read 7,659,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Considering that no other U.S. city has even remotely comparable density and transit, it would be "pretty funny" to argue otherwise. I mean, when every city is at basically 0, and one city is at 2 million when it comes to extreme density, if that isn't a difference, I don't know what is. If every city has 75%+ auto ownership, and only one city has half that of everyone else, if that isn't a difference, I don't know what is.

This thread has basically devolved to a bunch of butt-hurt forumers from cities with inferiority complexes (ahem, Chicago) taking offense to any list of five different cities, because any list will offend their delicate sensibilities.

Given that there's no list possible where some ignorant forumer won't declare "New Orleans? Heck no! I had a po-boy in Topeka once!" I don't see the point of this thread. I guarantee that some forumer would argue that Venice, Italy is the exact same as Houston. "Hey, they both have buildings and people and plumbing and stuff, they're the same, really!"
The thing is that even though there aren't any cities as densely populated as NYC, that doesn't mean there aren't any really densely populated cities in the U.S. That look similar. NYC is unique solely because it's so huge. It doesn't feel like Non-American imo.

Old 04-18-2015, 12:56 PM

15,404 posts, read 24,380,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Which is the exact same thing as every place on earth. There are bags of garbage in Chicago and in every other city. How could garbage be stored if not in garbage bags?

It's illegal to put residential garbage in public street garbage cans. It's illegal in NYC, and Chicago. You put your household waste in streetcorner garbage bins?
I don't know why you have such trouble comprehending what people area talking about here as I've seen you not get it before. People are not talking about public trash bins, they are referencing private residential trash bins provided by the sanitation company that people keep in alleys, garages, etc.. Like this: https://www.wm.com/location/californ...ges/3carts.gif

You talk about how NYC has no alleys like other Chicago cities, well don't you think that makes a big difference in how trash is stored and collected?

They way Manhattan and other parts of NYC put trash on the street for pickup is pretty unique actually. Even most NYers seem to realize that.

Putting trash bags on sidewalks should be ILLEGAL

http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/20...e-expert/?_r=0
scroll down to "Topic: A number of questioners asked why New Yorkers put garbage on the sidewalks in plastic bags, waiting for “overnight” collection trucks, where they are unsightly, accessible to rats, and a source of objectionable odors."

Old 04-18-2015, 12:59 PM

15,404 posts, read 24,380,612 times
If some of these cities feel like you're in another country then what country would that be? That is what I don't get. I get how some cities feel very unique and different but many, like NYC, still feel American despite how different they are from your "typical" American city.

Old 04-18-2015, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
The thing is that even though there aren't any cities as densely populated as NYC, that doesn't mean there aren't any really densely populated cities in the U.S.
Actually, no, that is exactly my point. There aren't any other densely population cities in the U.S.

At extreme high densities, there is no city with even 1/20 the population of NYC at extreme high density.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
That look similar. NYC is unique solely because it's so huge. It doesn't feel like Non-American imo.
No, NYC isn't "so huge". It's population is pretty similar to that of LA. 23 million compared to 18 million. There are many larger cities around the world; one nearly twice the size.

The difference in NYC isn't the size; it's the built form. The gap between the #1 and #2 city in terms of high density is bigger than the gap between the #2 city and the North Pole. It's like 2 million people living in extreme high density in NYC, 100,000 in the next city.

You are arguing the subjective, I am arguing facts. The fact that you personally are unaware of such differences is not really a logical response.

The density gap between NYC and Boston/SF/Chicago/DC/Philly is much bigger than the gap between those cities and the surface of the moon. So unless you think SF has the same population density as the moon, and looks about the same as the moon, then you don't really have an argument.

Old 04-18-2015, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
I don't know why you have such trouble comprehending what people area talking about here as I've seen you not get it before. People are not talking about public trash bins, they are referencing private residential trash bins provided by the sanitation company that people keep in alleys, garages, etc.. Like this: https://www.wm.com/location/californ...ges/3carts.gif
No, you are the one who doesn't have a clue. NYC has the exact same private sanitation companies as in every other city. There is no difference whatsoever.
Quote:
You talk about how NYC has no alleys like other Chicago cities, well don't you think that makes a big difference in how trash is stored and collected?
Of course it makes no difference Alleys are public streets. In every city, trash is put on public streets for trash pickup. Why would a city smell different if you put trash on one side of a building as opposed to the other side of a building? That makes no sense whatsoever.

Would a really suburban city smell different too, because often trash pickup isn't on the front or the back, but on the driveway side?
Quote:
They way Manhattan and other parts of NYC put trash on the street for pickup is pretty unique actually. Even most NYers seem to realize that.
No, it isn't unique. It's the norm throughout the world. But in suburban-oriented U.S., some cities have alleys. But alleys are the exception, not the rule, throughout the world. NYC is only unusual in the U.S. because it's the only really dense city in the U.S. (which was the whole point in the first place). The U.S. is the outlier, not NYC.

The only point you're making is that no other city in the U.S. is particularly urban (which, again, goes to the thread topic).
Quote:
A number of questioners asked why New Yorkers put garbage on the sidewalks in plastic bags, waiting for “overnight” collection trucks, where they are unsightly, accessible to rats, and a source of objectionable odors."
This is simply a lie. Not one New Yorker living in an apartment building "puts garbage on the sidewalks". That would be illegal. When you live in an apartment building in NYC, you put your garbage in a trash bin in the sanitation room, or in an exterior bin, same as in every other apartment building on earth. There's no difference.

Old 04-18-2015, 09:58 PM

9,832 posts, read 7,320,985 times
New York City is as American as apple pie. Who cares if it's an outlier in terms of density?

Old 04-18-2015, 10:21 PM

25 posts, read 26,508 times
New York City is magnificent city, but it feels very American to me. If you go overseas, New York City is the first city that pops into everyone's mind when you tell them you're from America. New York is filled with the same chain stores you see in the major U.S. cities. New York is filled with steel skyscrapers. It doesn't get more American than the skyscrapers. New York is home to our financial markets and media for crying out loud. You certainly get the strongest sense of that corporate America feeling when you walk around Manhattan. More so than any other city.

New York just feels like a cool, trendy, grand, busy, lively, American city, but make no doubt about it, New York is very American.

Sorry to break it to you, NOLA.

Last edited by Margiela; 04-18-2015 at 10:36 PM..

Old 04-18-2015, 11:14 PM

IMO, the only way this thread makes sense is that, if people disagree with any of the previously mentioned "five major cities that feel least American" then they have to offer five cities of their own.

There are only a few dozen major American cities, and obviously every city will have characteristics resembling other cities, so the only way we will avoid idiotic "yeah but my city has a subway too, so there!" comments would be if the respondents tell us which cities are actually MORE different than the cities being mentioned.

So if you don't think NYC, or NOLA, or SF, or Miami, or wherever, is different, then let us know which cities are actually different, and why. Otherwise it's just mindless trolling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or