U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2015, 08:40 AM

9,701 posts, read 7,217,323 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
You're listing qualities New York City has that are unique among American cities. If this were a thread about the 5 most unique cities, you're list would be persuasive.
Thank you. So you agree, finally. That's exactly what this thread is about.
Quote:
Unfortunately, none of those qualities make NYC feel like you're not in the US. How could they?
OK, and? That's not what we're talking about. This thread has nothing to do with "you're not in the U.S.", It's the five major cities that feel the least like they're in the U.S. Considering you haven't mentioned one such city outside of NYC, you don't seem to have any argument.
Quote:
We're talking about a former US Capital, fer chrissakes.
And this has nothing to do with anything. Berlin is the current capital of Germany, and is definitely the least German-feeling city in Germany.
Quote:
Manhattan practically symbolizes America's economic and cultural might, and the Statue of Liberty is right over there. It's 100% 'Murican.
Also has nothing to do with the thread topic.
Quote:
Honolulu is probably the only US city that feels like you're on foreign soil.
Honolulu is not a major city, you still need to provide four more, and I can make the exact same arguments for Honolulu that you made for NYC.

Honolulu is a capital, so all-American, Honolulu had Pearl Harbor, so all-American, Honolulu is a huge U.S. military center, so all-American, Honolulu has lots of highrises and sprawl and shoppping malls, and cars, and wide streets, and poor transit, and newer single family homes, so all-American.

See how silly that sounds? Using your criteria, you can't even name one such city, much less five. No American city will meet your ridiculous criteria of "cannot have anything remotely to do with America".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2015, 08:45 AM

9,701 posts, read 7,217,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Okay, I haven't been to Honolulu. But if I scan through radio stations there, are the majority of the broadcasts going to be in a language other than English?

In what language is the standard curriculum in the public schools?
English, of course. Honolulu has fewer non-native English speakers than the major U.S. cities.

Honolulu also has a significantly lower proportion of foreign born population than other major U.S. cities. LA feels much more foreign than Honolulu going by language/immigrant/ethnicity criteria.

Old 04-19-2015, 11:04 AM

4,155 posts, read 4,472,779 times
For the love of all that's holy.

Old 04-19-2015, 03:14 PM

9,832 posts, read 7,656,265 times
Quote:
Using your criteria, you can't even name one such city, much less five. No American city will meet your ridiculous criteria*
You're right, I can't name one, because it doesn't exist. I could name a few neighborhoods, but whole cities? Nah.

It's laughable to think density, transit and attached housing makes NYC feel Un-American. I'm baffled by this argument.

Quote:
Honolulu is a capital, so all-American, Honolulu had Pearl Harbor, so all-American, Honolulu is a huge U.S. military center, so all-American, Honolulu has lots of highrises and sprawl and shoppping malls, and cars, and wide streets, and poor transit, and newer single family homes, so all-American.
I really hope you're joking. Hawaii only became a state in 1959. You seriously want to argue that New York City (part of the original 13 colonies) feels less American?

Old 04-19-2015, 05:06 PM

15,429 posts, read 25,340,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
No, you are the one who doesn't have a clue. NYC has the exact same private sanitation companies as in every other city. There is no difference whatsoever.
You, not surprisingly, completely missed the point. Yes NYC has a sanitation company/service like every other city. The difference is that you don't see the the plastic residential bins like you see in pretty much every city. AGAIN, do you see these in NYC or Manhattan: https://www.wm.com/location/californ...ges/3carts.gif

Quote:
Of course it makes no difference Alleys are public streets. In every city, trash is put on public streets for trash pickup. Why would a city smell different if you put trash on one side of a building as opposed to the other side of a building? That makes no sense whatsoever.

Would a really suburban city smell different too, because often trash pickup isn't on the front or the back, but on the driveway side?
Oh ok, so alleys are basically the same thing as 5th ave to you? Alleys are typically used for utility purposes such as to where people keep their trash bins, have access to their garage parking, sometimes put power lines back there, etc.. NYC doesn't have the luxury of having alleys to keep trashbins in like other cities.

I never said anything about how cities smell so I don't know what you're talking about.

Quote:
No, it isn't unique. It's the norm throughout the world. But in suburban-oriented U.S., some cities have alleys. But alleys are the exception, not the rule, throughout the world. NYC is only unusual in the U.S. because it's the only really dense city in the U.S. (which was the whole point in the first place). The U.S. is the outlier, not NYC.

The only point you're making is that no other city in the U.S. is particularly urban (which, again, goes to the thread topic).
Quote:
This is simply a lie. Not one New Yorker living in an apartment building "puts garbage on the sidewalks". That would be illegal. When you live in an apartment building in NYC, you put your garbage in a trash bin in the sanitation room, or in an exterior bin, same as in every other apartment building on earth. There's no difference.
oh ok, so basically everyone including the NYC Times expert on the history of NYC trash are lying and making all of this up? So if no one in NYC puts trash on the sidewalks then what the hell are all those piles of black garbage bags doing laying on the street every night in Manhattan?

Old 04-22-2015, 01:13 PM

1,576 posts, read 2,529,211 times
1. Miami
2. El Paso
3. Los Angeles

And then a large drop to

4. New Orleans
5. Burkington, VT

LA should be on this list. Im guessing most of the forum have never been to Koreatown, Westlake, a large part of South LA, Pacoima, East LA etc. These places feel like you're outside of the US. A foriegn language dominates most.of the area. And most people are culturally UnAmerican.

Old 04-22-2015, 02:07 PM

4,155 posts, read 4,472,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hipcat View Post
1. Miami
2. El Paso
3. Los Angeles

And then a large drop to

4. New Orleans
5. Burkington, VT

LA should be on this list. Im guessing most of the forum have never been to Koreatown, Westlake, a large part of South LA, Pacoima, East LA etc. These places feel like you're outside of the US. A foriegn language dominates most.of the area. And most people are culturally UnAmerican.
What's interesting is the one of the more common criticisms of Los Angeles is that large swaths of the city feel foreign and are described in a way that usually carries a negative connotation. But when the question is asked with a positive connotation, as seen in this thread, that same place rarely gets offered.

Old 04-22-2015, 06:48 PM

2,377 posts, read 2,597,857 times
I have no interest to live in "america" which is why I live in philly.

Old 04-22-2015, 07:45 PM

6,933 posts, read 14,052,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNigh View Post
I have no interest to live in "america" which is why I live in philly.
That's why I wanna move to Miami or San Juan, PR. IF I can't make it to Madrid, Sao Paulo, BA, or DF.

Old 04-22-2015, 07:58 PM

1,423 posts, read 1,981,082 times
El Paso
Albuquerque

*Demographics, architecture, culture and climate make these two cities stand out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or