U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2015, 03:07 PM

2,250 posts, read 2,114,845 times

Advertisements

What are 5 major cities in the U.S. that when you visit or live in you don't feel like you are in the country? Give your reasons why!

1. Honolulu - While you don't feel like you are in Asia, there is just something that is so rare about it. Add in the tropical flavor, which with the exception of #2 on this list, you don't find anywhere else in the U.S.

2. Miami - Feels more like a Latin American city (it kind of is), with the amenities and comfort of the U.S. Aside from the common tongue being Spanish on the street, the fact that there are so many international tourists from all over Europe, meaning when you go to South Beach there are probably more foreigners than there are Americans, or even Miamians. Just like #1 the tropical flavor it has can only be in this city or Honolulu.

3. New Orleans - While the architecture and cuisine and culture feel unlike anything in the U.S. the people tend bring you back to the fact that you are in the U.S.

4. NYC - While the most famous American city it is so international like cities like London, that falls more in the category of mega global city than American city. While at the heart it's American, it's own world at the same time.

5. Seattle - This city is more Canadian than anything else IMO!

Interesting that on my list with the exception of NYC, all the others are at extreme points geographically or close to a international border.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2015, 03:30 PM

26 posts, read 25,776 times
Lots of parts in LA make me feel like I'm in Mexico.

Old 04-11-2015, 03:41 PM

1,775 posts, read 2,497,025 times
The only time I really felt like I was not in the US was when I was visiting Brighton Beach, Brooklyn. Everybody was speaking Russian and walking around in fur coasts with fur hats. All the signs were in Russian. I had lunch at an Uzbek restaurant where the wait staff spoke Uzbek and Russian, but not English. While I've never been to Russia, the architecture and general "vibe" reminded me a lot of Turkey, which is nearby.

Some of the older parts of Philly look like how I imagine London. But as I've never been to the UK, I can't say for sure.

Old 04-11-2015, 04:24 PM

2,250 posts, read 2,114,845 times
I'm talking more so cities as a whole. Chicago has plenty of hoods like that as do LA, Houston, Boston, Philly, etc.

Old 04-11-2015, 04:44 PM

10,411 posts, read 12,350,422 times
Anchorage, Alaska
Santa Fe, New Mexico
El Paso, Texas
Portland, Maine

Old 04-11-2015, 09:50 PM
JJG

13,228 posts, read 19,116,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
Anchorage, Alaska
Santa Fe, New Mexico
El Paso, Texas
Portland, Maine
It doesn't even feel like you're still in Texas when you go to El Paso.

Old 04-11-2015, 10:10 PM

1,775 posts, read 2,497,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanCheetah View Post
I'm talking more so cities as a whole. Chicago has plenty of hoods like that as do LA, Houston, Boston, Philly, etc.
I lived in Chicago for eight years, and I cant think of one part of the city that remotely feels un-American. There are plenty of immigrant communities, but those parts don't feel at all foreign in anyway.

I know LA well, and likewise, it all feels like the USA to me. I've never been to Houston, but from what I know I'd be shocked if any part of town felt un-American.

I've been all over the country, and really Brighton Beach, Brooklyn is the only place I've been that really made me feel like I was out of the country.

Old 04-11-2015, 10:13 PM
PDF

11,386 posts, read 10,462,544 times
NYC
Miami
Minneapolis
Honolulu
San Francisco

Old 04-12-2015, 06:09 AM

1,291 posts, read 1,187,728 times
Honolulu
Downtown New Orleans (What we call downtown) - but the rest of the city feels like a time machine.
Limited parts of San Antonio
Manhattan

That's all I got but I haven't seen the west coast. Honolulu is just an obvious guess.

Old 04-12-2015, 06:12 AM

1,541 posts, read 1,871,047 times
Duluth, GA is all Korean..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or