U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What city is more dangerous?
Detroit 52 64.20%
New Orleans 29 35.80%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2015, 08:02 PM

4,559 posts, read 2,518,803 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonsence View Post
IMO I feel like denser cities with high crime rates like Baltimore and Philadelphia are more dangerous. Detroit can feel like a ghost town, zombie like. New Orleans gets it in too but I feel like the violence stays kept in the hood.
You know what the 3 cities with the highest violent crime rates in the country have in common? They are all about half the population they once were at there peak so I don't really agree with your statement. New Orleans isn't some outlier either, nearly every major city has its concentrated areas. We hail NYC as some giant safe place, but try telling that to the residents of the 75th precinct who see just as many homicides as any other ghetto.

More so then population and density, the thing that all these cities have in common is an incredible amount of low income residents. Camden is right now the most dangerous city in the country and is also far and away the poorest city in the country with a population of over 65,000 residents.

Anyway, I just responded because I think it is unfair to lump Philly in with the other cities in this day and age because there is somewhat of a gap. In Detroit the chances of being a victim is 1 in 47. Baltimore 1 in 70. Philadelphia 1 in 91. With nearly every other city seeing rises in crime, philly is still seeing the same year over year -5% drop in violent crimes (already at a 60 year low), along with programs like The Promise Zone from the Federal Government and a real refocus on public education in the city for the first time in a very long time, I wouldn't be surprised and fully expect for philly to fall out of the top 100 most dangerous cities in a few years. Slow and steady.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2015, 08:45 PM

1,291 posts, read 1,116,813 times
I agree with the philosophy that it's really not about locale, it's about a huge variety of factors that are just pinned to we as people haven't found ways to deal with this certain phenomenon of crime in our country. However, Michigan and Louisiana are historically *bad* at having high rates of violent crime. We in Louisiana have very harsh drug laws with very little to no attention to addicts or mental health facilities, I wonder if Michigan has that in common with us?

The incarceration rates in Louisiana are mind blowing, we blow the entire world away.

Old 04-12-2015, 08:49 PM

1,567 posts, read 1,306,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwahfromtheheart View Post
I agree with the philosophy that it's really not about locale, it's about a huge variety of factors that are just pinned to we as people haven't found ways to deal with this certain phenomenon of crime in our country. However, Michigan and Louisiana are historically *bad* at having high rates of violent crime. We in Louisiana have very harsh drug laws with very little to no attention to addicts or mental health facilities, I wonder if Michigan has that in common with us?

The incarceration rates in Louisiana are mind blowing, we blow the entire world away.
I believe Texas has the highest incarnation rate followed by Louisiana. Either way hopefully new Orleans gets better.

Old 04-12-2015, 08:55 PM

1,291 posts, read 1,116,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfoe View Post
I believe Texas has the highest incarnation rate followed by Louisiana. Either way hopefully new Orleans gets better.
Louisiana incarcerates more of a percentage of its population than any other state, and we lead #2 (Mississippi) by 25%. Most of the other tops in the country are relatively close to each other. It's maddening to look at. We have an extremely corrupt system where sheriffs owning private prisons with ties to law enforcement, DA agencies, and judges are very interconnected and lobby to make sure we stay very repressive. And we are stupid enough to turn a blind eye because crime is always terrible here.

Old 04-12-2015, 08:58 PM

1,567 posts, read 1,306,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwahfromtheheart View Post
Louisiana incarcerates more of a percentage of its population than any other state, and we lead #2 (Mississippi) by 25%. Most of the other tops in the country are relatively close to each other. It's maddening to look at. We have an extremely corrupt system where sheriffs owning private prisons with ties to law enforcement, DA agencies, and judges are very interconnected and lobby to make sure we stay very repressive. And we are stupid enough to turn a blind eye because crime is always terrible here.
I know the call new Orleans chopper city for a reason. Its the ak 47 capital.

Old 04-13-2015, 09:06 AM

11,015 posts, read 21,564,064 times
I've never personally felt unsafe at all in Detroit, been many times. It's more just quiet than scary or uneasy.

Old 04-13-2015, 10:51 AM

1,699 posts, read 1,479,278 times
Detroit has been battling with high crime rates for 40+ years. Since the 1970s, Detroit has been in newspapers as one of the worst in the USA, and the world.

As for New Orleans, I'm not sure how long they have been battling with their crime problem. But I don't remember hearing about New Orleans until the 2000s, so maybe 10-20 years?

Anyways, all the numbers you see out of Detroit are crooked. Even the murder rate, as high as it is, is probably a lot higher because officials deliberately mislabel homicide cases as 'undetermined' so they won't need to investigate. There was some study some years back that identified as many as 80 homicides in one particular year mislabeled as non-homicides. When we talk about a place with 400 or so homicides a year, that makes a big difference in the rate.

Maybe things are different now with an emergency manager, maybe not. But Detroit is in hopeless decay. Basically everyone has given up on the murder problem in that city. The police are only investigating murders in certain neighborhoods, that bring the city money, so the city has a vested interest in keeping them safe enough to keep the people with money.

Old 04-13-2015, 11:31 AM

640 posts, read 640,144 times
It hurts me to say this about my beloved city of New Orleans but the murder rate is RIDICULOUS. According to the FBI statistics out of the last 21 years NOLA has been #1 murder capital 12 times and the other 9 times they've been #2 or #3. Just flat out horrible. With that being said though, New Orleans is still not as dangerous as it was in the 90's trust me, that was my era and I can recall waking up to go to school almost every morning and watching the news to hear some one was murdered the night before and alot of times it was multiple murders. You think people are weary now people's heads were literally on a swivel back then. I pray to GOD it never gets that bad AGAIN.

Old 04-13-2015, 11:42 AM

1,399 posts, read 2,154,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDPMiami View Post
Detroit has been battling with high crime rates for 40+ years. Since the 1970s, Detroit has been in newspapers as one of the worst in the USA, and the world.

As for New Orleans, I'm not sure how long they have been battling with their crime problem. But I don't remember hearing about New Orleans until the 2000s, so maybe 10-20 years?

Anyways, all the numbers you see out of Detroit are crooked. Even the murder rate, as high as it is, is probably a lot higher because officials deliberately mislabel homicide cases as 'undetermined' so they won't need to investigate. There was some study some years back that identified as many as 80 homicides in one particular year mislabeled as non-homicides. When we talk about a place with 400 or so homicides a year, that makes a big difference in the rate.

Maybe things are different now with an emergency manager, maybe not. But Detroit is in hopeless decay. Basically everyone has given up on the murder problem in that city. The police are only investigating murders in certain neighborhoods, that bring the city money, so the city has a vested interest in keeping them safe enough to keep the people with money.

Yeah...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Tf5_uVUv48

Old 04-13-2015, 12:01 PM

640 posts, read 640,144 times
Also too, historically Detroit has been just as bad as New Orleans. Unfortunately to for Detroit it was named the #1 for murders per capita n the U.S. in 2014. Just like New Orleans I pray for better days for the D. Its one of those cities I'm rooting for just like my hometown to get its act together. PEACE to the D.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or