U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What city would you want to live in the most?
Holland, MI 4 2.38%
Fort Collins, CO 3 1.79%
Provo, UT 3 1.79%
Honolulu, HI 29 17.26%
Sioux Falls, SD 0 0%
Des Moines, IA 1 0.60%
Barnstable, MA 1 0.60%
Portland, ME 3 1.79%
San Luis Obispo, CA 18 10.71%
Boulder, CO 12 7.14%
Madison, WI 10 5.95%
Lincoln, NE 1 0.60%
Lancaster, PA 3 1.79%
Boise, ID 2 1.19%
Charlottesville, VA 11 6.55%
Odgen, UT 1 0.60%
Naples, FL 9 5.36%
Billings, MT 3 1.79%
Minneapolis, MN 26 15.48%
Davenport, IA 1 0.60%
None 27 16.07%
Voters: 168. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2015, 12:26 PM

2,563 posts, read 1,729,915 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleHaze1100 View Post
This is from off the top of my head. East Cleveland, East St.Louis, Richmond VA, Camden NJ, Chester PA, Newark NJ, Morgantown WV, North Philly, East & West Baltimore, Southside Chicago, Oakland CA, Charleston WV,Albuquerque NM, Detroit, Salt Lake City, Greenville SC, Scranton PA, Grand Rapids MI, Wilmington DE, Boise Idaho, Kansas City, Espanola NM, Charleston SC, Missoula MT, Milwaukee
You have Salt Lake City, Missoula MT and Morgantown WV In the same category as Detroit and East St. Louis.

Are those typos or am I misreading your post?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2015, 12:39 PM

6,479 posts, read 7,708,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iAMtheVVALRUS View Post
I'm curious to know what towns in particular gave you such a hard time.
Springfield, MA; Holyoke, MA; Enfield, CT; Hadley, MA.

Old 04-20-2015, 01:24 PM

104 posts, read 91,129 times
The poll doesn't align with the thread title and it's confusing.

Old 04-20-2015, 04:18 PM

2,545 posts, read 4,854,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red John View Post
Neither Springfield or Holyoke are typical New England 'smalltowns' which you claim to hate so much.

Springfield has a population of nearly 160k and Holyoke is at 40k. Although neither have very large Asian populations, both have very Latino populations (Springfield 40% and Holyoke 60%).

Old 04-20-2015, 06:02 PM

1,743 posts, read 898,123 times
I've never heard of most of these cities being dangerous. As for the poll, I would live in Minneapolis, Billings, Boise, Lincoln, Madison, Portland, Sioux Falls and Honolulu. I also am not intimidated by Iowa but would not like living there.

Old 04-20-2015, 09:48 PM

1,671 posts, read 1,737,714 times
Quote:
While I'm truly sorry that you had such an awful experience in my home state, I also want to point out that judging the entire region of New England after a single bad experience in Holyoke, MA is like judging the entire state of California after a bad experience in San Bernardino: it's not very fair.

Old 04-23-2015, 12:17 PM

6,479 posts, read 7,708,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iAMtheVVALRUS View Post
While I'm truly sorry that you had such an awful experience in my home state, I also want to point out that judging the entire region of New England after a single bad experience in Holyoke, MA is like judging the entire state of California after a bad experience in San Bernardino: it's not very fair.
Well Walrus, you don't know me and I have had bad experiences in other places before and haven't taken it to disliking those places either. I have a 5 inch long scar on my right leg, grew up with breathing issues (due to concrete dust in my lungs), and had several damaged bones in my knee from the 1993 Bombay Bombings, which directly impacted my mum, myself, and my father when we lived there and were at the train station. To actually be closeby to suicide bombers running into train cars with their bomb vests and seeing concrete from the wall/pillers at the station chip, break, and fly and hurt people. Yet I still don't hate Mumbai. When I played sports while younger, I had limitations before my right knee would begin feeling excessive pain, only when I reached my teenage years did it dissipate. I had breathing issues and scars on my right shoulder, wasn't until I was older that the breathing issues tempered. No issues anymore. Yet I still don't hate the place.

I've also been robbed by a guy with a switch blade in San Francisco. Yet I don't hate San Francisco or California.

I just outright don't like New England, at all, outside of the Greater Boston area. I don't like your food, I don't like your culture, I just don't like anything about it at all. If it was just the racism, I don't think I would hate the place, I can take a jab or two, especially since the people referred to racist terms that doesn't even apply to me. However I cant pretend to like something that I just don't like. That's fine, we all have places in the world we don't like, for me, that would be New England (and Sydney, Delhi, Cairo). Don't know what it is for you but I don't really care.

So stop responding to me trying to convince me anything about New England. All you're doing is wasting your post count away for nothing.

Last edited by Facts Kill Rhetoric; 04-23-2015 at 12:34 PM..

Old 04-23-2015, 02:41 PM

2,545 posts, read 4,854,748 times
Quote:
Well Walrus, you don't know me and I have had bad experiences in other places before and haven't taken it to disliking those places either. I have a 5 inch long scar on my right leg, grew up with breathing issues (due to concrete dust in my lungs), and had several damaged bones in my knee from the 1993 Bombay Bombings, which directly impacted my mum, myself, and my father when we lived there and were at the train station. To actually be closeby to suicide bombers running into train cars with their bomb vests and seeing concrete from the wall/pillers at the station chip, break, and fly and hurt people. Yet I still don't hate Mumbai. When I played sports while younger, I had limitations before my right knee would begin feeling excessive pain, only when I reached my teenage years did it dissipate. I had breathing issues and scars on my right shoulder, wasn't until I was older that the breathing issues tempered. No issues anymore. Yet I still don't hate the place.

I've also been robbed by a guy with a switch blade in San Francisco. Yet I don't hate San Francisco or California.

I just outright don't like New England, at all, outside of the Greater Boston area. I don't like your food, I don't like your culture, I just don't like anything about it at all. If it was just the racism, I don't think I would hate the place, I can take a jab or two, especially since the people referred to racist terms that doesn't even apply to me. However I cant pretend to like something that I just don't like. That's fine, we all have places in the world we don't like, for me, that would be New England (and Sydney, Delhi, Cairo). Don't know what it is for you but I don't really care.

So stop responding to me trying to convince me anything about New England. All you're doing is wasting your post count away for nothing.
When you come out and say
Quote:
I don't like New Englanders nor their culture.
you have to expect a few responses from New Englanders.

Old 04-23-2015, 10:04 PM

1,671 posts, read 1,737,714 times
Quote:
Where in New England have you visited outside of Holyoke and Boston?

Have you been to Burlington, VT? Portland, ME? Portsmouth, NH? Providence, RI? New Haven, CT? Northampton, MA? Provincetown, MA? If so, is it safe to assume that you found all of those places to be absolute hellholes?

I think you misunderstand my intentions: I'm not trying to convince you of anything with regards to New England. I know now that trying to do so would be a waste of my time.

I'm trying to show all the people who might be reading through this thread that you don't have much experience with the region as a whole and that your harsh judgements of the region and its people are, for the most part, bizarre and unreasonable, especially in the context of this thread.

The title of this thread is "Cities Where Americans Are Pretty Much Afraid to Live". I can assure you that there are plenty of people in the country and in the world that find New England to be a nice place, with a number of wonderful cities even outside of Boston and Cambridge. Just because you hate the place with a passion, Red John, doesn't mean that all Americans are afraid to live here.

Old 04-28-2015, 08:47 AM

144 posts, read 146,463 times
Furgeson and Baltimore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or