U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What city would you want to live in the most?
Holland, MI 4 2.38%
Fort Collins, CO 3 1.79%
Provo, UT 3 1.79%
Honolulu, HI 29 17.26%
Sioux Falls, SD 0 0%
Des Moines, IA 1 0.60%
Barnstable, MA 1 0.60%
Portland, ME 3 1.79%
San Luis Obispo, CA 18 10.71%
Boulder, CO 12 7.14%
Madison, WI 10 5.95%
Lincoln, NE 1 0.60%
Lancaster, PA 3 1.79%
Boise, ID 2 1.19%
Charlottesville, VA 11 6.55%
Odgen, UT 1 0.60%
Naples, FL 9 5.36%
Billings, MT 3 1.79%
Minneapolis, MN 26 15.48%
Davenport, IA 1 0.60%
None 27 16.07%
Voters: 168. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2015, 01:46 PM

252 posts, read 196,922 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirGreenDown View Post
Baltimore..
While it's true that "most Americans" are "terrified" to live in Baltimore because of the Wire and Freddie Gray, there are plenty of nice areas in Baltimore. Plenty of bad ones too but there's so many places that are almost all "bad" that I wouldn't include Baltimore
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2015, 01:48 PM

6,497 posts, read 7,797,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
And New Orleans isn't terrifying to him? That makes no sense.
I don't really give a damn.

You couldn't ever pay me to live in New England. I'd rather go and donate a kidney today than live there. I just really don't like it.

Last edited by Facts Kill Rhetoric; 07-31-2015 at 02:52 PM..

Old 07-31-2015, 01:49 PM

6,611 posts, read 6,594,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red John View Post
I don't really give a damn.

You couldn't ever pay me to live in New England. I just flat out don't like the place. I'd rather go and donate a kidney today than live there. I just really don't like it.
Okay, you don't like the place...I wouldn't want to live there either, but it certainly doesn't terrify me. Does it really terrify you or do you just not like it? I think that was why the comment was questioned. Don't get mad.

There are only a few places in the world that are truly terrifying to think about living in...a lot of the Middle East is one of them. But there is nowhere in the U.S. that is really all that scary unless you break it down into particular neighborhoods. There are some that are pretty dangerous.

Old 07-31-2015, 01:56 PM

Quote:
The overwhelming White culture that persists there isn't to my liking.

Not because its White but because in entire states and communities out there that's all those people even know. I don't give a (insert) about a place like that. Not like I've had pleasant encounters out in the small towns there as it is.
So I'm guessing the overwhelming white culture outside of central London must scare you too...

It's funny for anyone to make assumptions that people in a certain area are so confined that they don't know anything about other cultures outside their own. I would never want to assume something like that - it may be true, but there is no way to know for sure. I'm sure many people in those states and communities travel quite often, and if they don't there is modern media/communications that make the world a much smaller place.

I don't want to argue, but your comments seem a little odd and narrow minded - seemingly the exact things you're accusing New Englanders of being. Anyway...have a nice day.

Old 07-31-2015, 02:01 PM

6,497 posts, read 7,797,450 times
Quote:
So I'm guessing the overwhelming white culture outside of central London must scare you too...
Not at all actually.

Central London is one of the most cosmopolitan places on the face of the Earth, New England to that extent, is not. Boston, to that extent, is not. Greater Boston MSA or CSA, to that extent, is not. Central London has been a magnet for immigrants from around the world (particularly its former Colonies) for over a century. In fact there is more pure diversity in Central London than all of New England put together, certainly far more foreign born. This is because London itself is nearly as populous as the Boston CSA and much more foreign born and international than all of New England. I don't have an issue with a place being White, by the way, but I am not keen on places where a group of people are the overwhelming majority in what really feels like every facet of life, whether that group is White, Black, Asian, or Latino. I view New England in that regard for Whites the way I view the Rio Grande Valley in Texas for Mexican people. Its great and all, if you're someone that fits into that group or if you're not in that group but assimilate to the regional culture. I am not of that sort.

Oh and no, London doesn't really "scare" me.

Last edited by Facts Kill Rhetoric; 07-31-2015 at 03:20 PM..

Old 07-31-2015, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Not at all actually.

Central London is one of the most cosmopolitan places on the face of the Earth, New England to that extent, is not. Boston, to that extent, is not. Greater Boston MSA or CSA, to that extent, is not. Central London has been a magnet for immigrants from around the world (particularly its former Colonies) for over a century. In fact there is more pure diversity in Central London than all of New England put together, certainly far more foreign born. This is because London itself is nearly as populous as the Boston CSA and much more foreign born and international than all of New England. I don't have an issue with a place being White, by the way, but I am not keen on places where a group of people are the overwhelming majority in what really feels like every facet of life, whether that group is White, Black, Asian, or Latino. I view New England in that regard for Whites the way I view the Rio Grande Valley in Texas for Mexican people. Its great and all, if you're someone that fits into that group or if you're not in that group but assimilate to the regional culture. I am not of that sort.

Oh and no, London doesn't really "scare" me.
I said "outside of Central London"...I totally understand London - I lived there for a year and know intimately about its diversity. Outside of it is a different story when it comes to racial diversity. You should check out places like New Haven CT: 42% white, 34% black, and 27% Latino. Other CT cities are similar. Providence RI is 49% white, 16% black, and 38% Latino. Springfield MA is 51% white, 22% black, and 38% Latino. Even Boston is 24% black. Surprising diversity, or at least I'm surprised by it. New England is not as white as one might think. Maybe you don't want to stick to this "all white" theory after all.

I don't think London should scare you, but it's just odd that New England does...sorry but it's true. I've never ever heard anyone say such a thing - I would have the same reaction if someone claimed that London scared them. I've also never heard anyone try to claim that Boston isn't a cosmopolitan city. I honestly think the vast majority of people would disagree.

Old 08-01-2015, 09:16 PM

13 posts, read 16,956 times
Minneapolis. But Hawaii sounds pretty cool

Old 08-01-2015, 10:27 PM

11,847 posts, read 9,806,832 times
I don't understand this thread at all. Every metro has safe places to live. Now there are definitely cities where people are terrified to live, whether justified or not.

Old 08-01-2015, 10:52 PM

6,212 posts, read 7,086,307 times
I can definitely picture myself living in Minneapolis, only thing I won't like about it is most likely its winters (one of the worst in the Midwest and nation I believe). Other than that, it seems like a pretty cool city. Wouldn't mind paying it a visit one day.

Old 08-01-2015, 11:39 PM

1,586 posts, read 1,427,191 times
Quote:
I said "outside of Central London"...I totally understand London - I lived there for a year and know intimately about its diversity. Outside of it is a different story when it comes to racial diversity. You should check out places like New Haven CT: 42% white, 34% black, and 27% Latino. Other CT cities are similar. Providence RI is 49% white, 16% black, and 38% Latino. Springfield MA is 51% white, 22% black, and 38% Latino. Even Boston is 24% black. Surprising diversity, or at least I'm surprised by it. New England is not as white as one might think. Maybe you don't want to stick to this "all white" theory after all.
This is true; New England is quite a diverse place. I wonder if the issue here is Southern New England vs. Northern New England. Southern New England (Connecticut, Rhode Island, Massachusetts) has great diversity. Northern New England (Vermont, New Hampshire, Maine), not so much.

While the northern states are among the whitest in the country -- in fact, they're the three very whitest, with New Hampshire essentially tied with West Virginia for third place -- the southern states are all less white than states such as Ohio (home to several cities with large black populations), Pennsylvania (ditto), Missouri (home to St. Louis, which is about half black) and Wisconsin (largest city Milwaukee, which is more black than white and has a ballooning Hispanic population).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or