U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Seattle or Boston?
Boston 59 40.14%
Seattle 88 59.86%
Voters: 147. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2015, 08:39 AM

206 posts, read 266,356 times

Advertisements

there are dozens of projects of all sizes U/C in boston/cambridge for hotel, lab, office, housing. the tallest currently U/C i believe are the millennium tower DT at 685', nashua st residences near north station at 450', and four seasons tower in the back bay at 700'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2015, 09:05 AM

1,675 posts, read 1,740,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferntride View Post
I prefer Seattles skyline and the urban fabric is improving quickly:
I prefer Bostons urban fabric and the skyline is improving quickly:

Boston Skyline by theglobalpanorama, on Flickr

Good Morning Boston! by Seven Twenty, on Flickr

Old 04-20-2015, 09:50 AM

6,795 posts, read 6,593,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatsbyGatz View Post
And I swear every one of your posts is a complaint about Seattle. Buzz off.
Not really. I really don't talk about Seattle at all on these forums. Stop crying.

Old 04-20-2015, 06:46 PM

1,809 posts, read 2,893,923 times
I like the historical feel and historical architecture of Boston and NE more. But Seattle is a prettier nature city with the Evergreens, lakes, snow capped peak views. NE has way cooler quaint small towns than WA State (for getaways). I actually like the summer rains in NE, it keeps it greener and lusher than Seattle which is very dry and grass turns brown in summer. Seattle is really booming beyond belief and getting very dense and adding more light rail. I think Seattle has a cleaner, safer feel. I like both cities a lot but overall would probably go with Seattle. Boston winter are too long and bitter cold. People are nicer overall in Seattle.

Old 04-21-2015, 11:44 AM

104 posts, read 91,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctr88 View Post
NE has way cooler quaint small towns than WA State (for getaways).
WA State has many great quaint small town getaways - La Conner, Leavenworth, Walla Walla, Winthrop, Port Townsend, Sequim, Forks, Roslyn, Langley (Whidbey Island), Friday Harbor (San Juan Island), Snohomish (the town not the county), Bow, Edison, and many more. Not to mention, there are several great small town getaways in Northern Oregon (easily accessible for a weekend), like Astoria or Cannon Beach.

So I'd say Seattle has some pretty great options for small town weekend (or day trip) getaways.

Old 04-21-2015, 12:29 PM

4,367 posts, read 6,250,401 times
I spent a semester living in Boston and grew up in the Pacific Northwest and have a brother in Seattle.

I voted for Boston. I mean, I could live either place and be happy (although I love living in Chicago), but overall I picked Boston because it has more history, more culture, better proximity to more cities of interest, and better transit.

Old 04-21-2015, 12:41 PM

4,367 posts, read 6,250,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigstick View Post
Boston is a hell hole. After the 12 feet of snow they had this year, forget it. Plus, people are very rude and snobbish even when they are blue collar.
This being my 20th year since I first moved to Chicago and having grown up in a small West Coast town of 560 people, I have to say this:

People often feel that city people, from any urban city, are rude. I think when they think this, they are running into two things.

First, city people are busy and often at least a little harried. They don't want to waste time with questions that should be easy to answer without involving a stranger. As such, they don't cotton to people who ask dumb questions, or who expect them to participate in wide-eyed wonder that many people from outside real cities have when encountering real cities. And Boston, while smaller than some cities, is a real city (unlike Phoenix, etc).

Second, city people tend to be blunt. They're not being rude, they're just being honest and direct because being honest and direct saves time (see first point above).

Despite the fact that I grew up in a town of 560 people, I've never come away from ANY city thinking that the people there were rude or snobbish, but I'm fiercely independent and only ask people for help when I've exhausted all other options, and I did travel a little when I was younger so by the time I moved to Chicago I'd been to LA and Moscow and St. Petersburg and Seattle and Paris and Helsinki, so while it was impressive I wasn't blown away the way I was with the first couple of big cities I saw (L.A. and Moscow).

If anything, I think Boston is quite friendly and kinda quaint due to its smaller size compared to Chicago.

Old 04-22-2015, 11:34 AM

1,809 posts, read 2,893,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DANNNY__ View Post
WA State has many great quaint small town getaways - La Conner, Leavenworth, Walla Walla, Winthrop, Port Townsend, Sequim, Forks, Roslyn, Langley (Whidbey Island), Friday Harbor (San Juan Island), Snohomish (the town not the county), Bow, Edison, and many more. Not to mention, there are several great small town getaways in Northern Oregon (easily accessible for a weekend), like Astoria or Cannon Beach.

So I'd say Seattle has some pretty great options for small town weekend (or day trip) getaways.
I've been to most of those towns and some are OK but sorry they don't hold a candle in terms of quaintness and historic architecture to the small towns in NE founded in the 1600-1700's. There are tons of them in VT, NH, ME, MA, RI. Leavenworth is tacky touristy kitsch faux Bavarian.

Old 04-22-2015, 05:35 PM

104 posts, read 91,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctr88 View Post
I've been to most of those towns and some are OK but sorry they don't hold a candle in terms of quaintness and historic architecture to the small towns in NE founded in the 1600-1700's. There are tons of them in VT, NH, ME, MA, RI. Leavenworth is tacky touristy kitsch faux Bavarian.
Obviously they don't hold a candle to NE town in terms of historic architecture, but I think most of them are very quaint and walkable - with distinct and charming features - and make for a great weekend getaway.

Old 04-23-2015, 02:17 PM

2,680 posts, read 4,461,168 times
Seattle by a long shot. Seattle has milder weather in both summer and winter, and is in an absolutely gorgeous natural setting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or