U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Seattle or Boston?
Boston 59 40.14%
Seattle 88 59.86%
Voters: 147. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2015, 02:22 PM

15,371 posts, read 8,040,349 times

Advertisements

Seattle...people from Boston talk funny.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2015, 02:26 PM

2,680 posts, read 4,461,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini-apple-less View Post
Seattle is not that much warmer than somewhere like Washington, DC in the winter. In Seattle you're talking 35-47F during a typical winter with overcast skies and rain, DC is about 28 to 43F and gets mostly rain not snow. Considering that DC winters are far sunnier and you get certain days that are actually warm (65-70F+, never happens in Seattle) I'd argue their winters are overall more pleasant. Plus late October, November, March, and April, and often September, May and June have winter-like weather in Seattle. Hell, December in Bellingham is actually colder on average than December in DC.

I would take a brisk sunny 43F day over a wet and miserable 47F day easily. Again, you CANNOT assume this year with the bitter cold back east and the extreme mildness out west is TYPICAL of either region.
You can't just look at averages. Places like DC have far more wild swings in weather. So in Seattle when you see that the normal high is 47 or 48 in the winter months, that means it is almost always very near that temperature during the day, with the low almost always staying near the normal low (which in winter would be upper 30's). In a place like DC, you will see wild swings where it's really warm for a while then really cold for a while, often feeling similar to places much further north for parts of the winter. Seattle has very little of that kind of swing in weather- so if someone spent a couple winters in each place they would easily say that Seattle's winters are much more mild than DC's. That is why the grass remains green in Seattle all winter, many deciduous bushes keep their leaves, and people are able to have some flowering plants in winter. It's because we don't have the frequent/regular swings to bitter cold type of weather (or even sub freezing weather) that would damage plants/grass.

And then there are the summers. Summer days are almost completely in the 70's with sunshine in Seattle- very little to no rain in the summer months, very little cloud cover in those months, and only a few occasional heat waves each summer getting into the 80's or above 90. Combine that with low humidity and you have some of the most comfortable summer weather in the entire country.

I don't say this as a homer- I say this from experience after having moved here a few years ago from back east.

Old 04-26-2015, 03:29 PM

35 posts, read 43,684 times
[quote=Pyroninja42;39235908]New Yorkers think it's cute to watch either one play "big city".[/quotaint nobidy talking about ny... ny is trashy...

I would rather live n Seattle ,

The weather the people, vibe.. yea

Old 04-26-2015, 03:36 PM

24,139 posts, read 38,906,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dapper23 View Post
What is the more desirable city in 2015?
Boston or Seattle are not my more desirable cities in 2015. But if I had to pick one I would have to go with Seattle, assuming equal pay adjusted to COLA. Better weather (including winters) and closer to places I would like to escape to. But I have not been to either recently...

Old 04-26-2015, 03:59 PM

1,567 posts, read 1,308,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
Boston or Seattle are not my more desirable cities in 2015. But if I had to pick one I would have to go with Seattle, assuming equal pay adjusted to COLA. Better weather (including winters) and closer to places I would like to escape to. But I have not been to either recently...
Is there a way to delete your own post entirely? I know you can edit. But I tried to delete my post before and had no luck.

Old 08-26-2015, 11:29 AM

309 posts, read 389,211 times
this is really close. can't decide

Old 08-26-2015, 11:46 AM

602 posts, read 556,840 times
Mmmm.....without looking at the poll first or reading the comment's I'm gonna go with Seattle as the more Disreable one

Old 08-26-2015, 11:47 AM

678 posts, read 640,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheseGoTo11 View Post

But I agree with earlier posts about Philadelphia. Philly is the most important city in world history and has 10 million metro jobs, or at least it would if the census cuts reflected the reality that Manhattan west of 6th Avenue is really part of the Philly region.
All-time post

Old 08-26-2015, 11:51 AM

602 posts, read 556,840 times
Now I have seen the poll and read a few comments, i voted Seattle.Seattle seems to get more positive press these days Boston is like the Houston of the NorthEast, kinda just there. Hardly hear anything about it

Old 08-26-2015, 12:23 PM

987 posts, read 832,920 times
Seattle; legal stuff....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or