U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Seattle or Boston?
Boston 59 40.14%
Seattle 88 59.86%
Voters: 147. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2015, 07:02 PM

6,628 posts, read 12,118,021 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRedTide View Post
Now I have seen the poll and read a few comments, i voted Seattle.Seattle seems to get more positive press these days Boston is like the Houston of the NorthEast, kinda just there. Hardly hear anything about it
Houston of the Northeast? WTF?? The two couldn't be more different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2015, 07:33 PM

650 posts, read 541,724 times
Seattle

Old 08-26-2015, 08:13 PM

1,672 posts, read 1,740,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRedTide View Post
Seattle seems to get more positive press these days
Seattle gets press? When and how?

I certainly haven't heared much about it recently, except maybe in conjunction with Washington's forest fires?

Old 08-26-2015, 08:33 PM

2,945 posts, read 3,598,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iAMtheVVALRUS View Post
Seattle gets press? When and how?

I certainly haven't heared much about it recently, except maybe in conjunction with Washington's forest fires?
Probably referring to posts on this forum (so not literally "press") but I suppose also the various articles that are published about "most livable US cities" or "best cities for careers" and what have you, where Seattle often ranks high.

Old 09-29-2015, 04:32 PM

366 posts, read 274,150 times
I like both but Boston for being a more interesting place.

Old 09-29-2015, 05:05 PM

4,265 posts, read 7,192,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatsbyGatz View Post
Probably referring to posts on this forum (so not literally "press") but I suppose also the various articles that are published about "most livable US cities" or "best cities for careers" and what have you, where Seattle often ranks high.
We all know those are nothing more than fluff pieces; each city's "livability" and propensity for career opportunities is based on each individual person. Of course, click-bait articles will never acknowledge that those types of measures have a lot of gray area.

I also think press is relative. At least from an East Coast perspective, the last two national news articles that I recall regarding Seattle is that terrible Duck Boat accident and the inevitable likelihood of an epic earthquake striking the city. Not exactly super positive.

Seattle looks like a really interesting, beautiful and modern city, but it's just simply not on the same level as Boston. I recognize that it's growing at quite a quick clip and has broad appeal, but for those who prefer more traditionally urban cities with more ingrained history found across the East Coast, it's just not the same.

I also get the sense that Seattle's quick growth is lending to a LOT of class tensions, particularly regarding affordable housing to the extent that it's becoming Bay Area-lite. It really needs to keep that in check if it's going to achieve sustainable growth in the long-run.

Old 09-30-2015, 12:00 AM

6,153 posts, read 4,370,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyroninja42 View Post
New Yorkers think it's cute to watch either one play "big city".
The first settlers of Seattle originally named it "New York Alki", with Alki meaning "by and by" in the Chinook trading jargon. The U District, across Lake Union from downtown Seattle, was originally named Brooklyn. Capitol Hill's main drag is Broadway.

I don't think current residents have any interest in Seattle becoming another New York. It would destroy what makes Seattle special.

Old 09-30-2015, 12:14 AM

6,153 posts, read 4,370,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red John View Post
Seattlities have a neutral standard American accent, you can be roughly from anywhere in America or world and more or less your pronunciations, accents, and manner of speech will be uniform with the people that live there. Its easy to integrate into Seattle, even on just a trip.
That should be Seattleites...

Urban Dictionary: Seattleite

Old 09-30-2015, 09:57 PM

5,620 posts, read 13,306,784 times
PNW weather sucks. People from Seattle can be cold. Boston has better public transit. I prefer the older neighborhoods of Boston. Boston is closer to more major cities to visit basically from Montreal/Toronto down to DC. It's actually possible to swim in the ocean near Boston. I prefer the east coast/Italian/Jewish/Irish cultures of Boston over the hipster/pretentious/Asian cultures of Seattle. Seattle is a close drive to visit basically just Vancouver and Portland.

Old 10-01-2015, 02:01 AM

103 posts, read 110,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
PNW weather sucks. People from Seattle can be cold. Boston has better public transit. I prefer the older neighborhoods of Boston. Boston is closer to more major cities to visit basically from Montreal/Toronto down to DC. It's actually possible to swim in the ocean near Boston. I prefer the east coast/Italian/Jewish/Irish cultures of Boston over the hipster/pretentious/Asian cultures of Seattle. Seattle is a close drive to visit basically just Vancouver and Portland.
Please xare to explain how Seattle weather sucks more than boston
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or