U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: NEXT HIPSTER CITY BY 2020 PREDICTION "CULINARY SCENE,URBAN DEVELOPMENT ,MUSIC,DOWNTOWN FOOT TRA
CHATTANOOGA TN 29 36.25%
BIRMINGHAM 18 22.50%
RALEIGH NC 33 41.25%
Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-17-2015, 08:34 PM

27 posts, read 34,971 times

Advertisements

"But he's right about Birmingham. It is becoming Hipsterham.

All of a sudden Birmingham is infested with hipsters. All those giant lenses and Doc Martens and flannels. You can't walk a block downtown without tripping over a pair of skinny jeans.*

I don't really know whether the explosion of local beer brought the hipsters to Birmingham or if the hipsters started Birmingham's beer boom in the first place. But if you want to find them, just pop open a local IPA. And offer to pay.

But be careful. I have a theory – as yet unproven – that hipsters are like gremlins. Feed them craft beer after midnight they multiply." -AL.COM
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2015, 08:41 PM

275 posts, read 314,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambition 15 View Post
"But he's right about Birmingham. It is becoming Hipsterham.

All of a sudden Birmingham is infested with hipsters. All those giant lenses and Doc Martens and flannels. You can't walk a block downtown without tripping over a pair of skinny jeans.*

I don't really know whether the explosion of local beer brought the hipsters to Birmingham or if the hipsters started Birmingham's beer boom in the first place. But if you want to find them, just pop open a local IPA. And offer to pay.

But be careful. I have a theory – as yet unproven – that hipsters are like gremlins. Feed them craft beer after midnight they multiply." -AL.COM
I swear every small-town rag has written an article like that. In general, young people across are increasingly moving to the inner city, whether it's Cleveland, Omaha, or Birmingham. It's a nationwide trend.

Old 04-17-2015, 08:52 PM

1,541 posts, read 1,873,432 times
Quote:
I apologize I'm no troll. I'm a vestavia hills resident interested in the Birmingham metro economical devopment.speaking with positive optimism shouldn't have a person accused of being a troll.how does the forum not know you're not a troll? Considering this false accusation you made upon me. I just am one of many other's I see am talk to who see's Bham is on too something BIG that will continue to have its people who want admit it like you I imagine. No pun attended
First of all I apologize. It is great to have enthusiasm for ones locale, but to boost it to heights not even attained by cities of even much higher caliber, gets annoying. What does Birmingham really have going on, a few apartments going up, no highrise development, none expected. I can easily see Chattanooga winning this contest it has some amazing restaurants a world class aquarium stunning landscape, and a coll mix of people.
WTF is a dome needed for, do you realize how much a state of the art dome would cost? Well over 1 billion, and it would have to be this size to attract. Birmingham does NOT have that kind of money whatsoever. It has a declining city population, uber poverty, no real influx of people. It has one main drag (280), that is turning in to a horrendous mess of traffic and chain restaurants. Although Highlands Grill is very good. Sorry to burst your bubble, but their ain't much really happening in Birmingham that other cities didn't do 10 years ago. Sans for getting the World Games, good for you on that one, they really had no choice to give it to Birmingham with the list of cities they chose from. It is trying to play catch up, and at a slow rate as well. Come to Atlanta if you want to see an area that is exploding beyond belief. Not saying Atlanta is all that, we have major problems as well, but what Atlanta has going on right now makes Birmingham and cities of Birmingham's size pale in all forms of fashion.
No professional team will come to Birmingham, unless Nashville, or Atlanta get flattened by a tornado, then even those chances are questionable. Enjoy your college teams, that is as close to professional that you are going to see or get in your lifetime. BTW Alabama could beat many NFL teams by themselves. Ask yourself this, if the NFL came to Birmingham, I guarantee you most of the players would not want to live in Birmingham, just not big enough......

Old 04-17-2015, 11:25 PM

5,667 posts, read 8,714,794 times
Where are the amazing restaurants in Chattanooga? Not asking to be snarky, just genuinely want to know as a tourist.

I don't quite get the Chattanooga = hipster theme but then I haven't visited in 3 years. I assume you can have pop-up hipster meccas the same way you have pop - up restaurants & such.

My impression is there are some powerful and very rich people pulling the strings in Chattanooga and if they want hipsters around for entertainment then by golly they'll get them.

Old 04-17-2015, 11:55 PM

5,991 posts, read 8,288,188 times
Quote:
"If you look around the Southeast, many our sister cities have opted to be a host to a national sports franchise," he said, referencing Charlotte, Nashville, Atlanta and New Orleans. "Birmingham, for whatever reason, was close every year but never got a professional sports franchise."

If Birmingham did seek out a professional franchise, the city would be wise to go after an NFL team, he said, because the NFL splits its profits evenly among teams across the nation, no matter the size of the city.

"The NFL shares its revenue equally among all 31 teams. That means if you sell a Dallas Cowboy's t-shirt, every team gets 1/31 of those profits. Because of this, the teams in smaller cities have the ability to buy the players they need to go compete. Since we would be a smaller market, our greatest chance to compete with a professional sports team would be with the NFL," he said.

When and if Birmingham builds its dome, Hallman said he would advise building something that will "stand the test of time." He referenced the Memphis pyramid and the Georgia Dome as structures that turned obsolete too quickly.
wow! The NFL is not ready for Birmingham, I don't think. That's a great strategy and all, but that's like saying "I like how NYC has 8 million people, I think that's what we should do too to make our city entertaining".

You can't make this stuff up...

Old 04-18-2015, 12:00 AM

5,991 posts, read 8,288,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigstick View Post
BTW Alabama could beat many NFL teams by themselves. .

Old 04-18-2015, 12:51 AM

No problem bigstick , I accept your apology. BHAM in 2020 or by the time for the world games want be the BHAM you see today.

Old 04-18-2015, 12:54 AM

Bigstick people can question it all day " what's a dome needed for"? But they in one article I posted mentioned that the dome will be built regardless no vote needed of residents. Ask Atlanta what a dome for them meant , they wanted to grow as does BHAM. BHAM is fighting to merge as at least competition in the southeast within entertainment. The food scene / music scene is BOOMING .

Old 04-18-2015, 12:57 AM

A professional team will come to Birmingham , We as in The MAGIC CITY believe in BIRMINGHAM like never before. I think at least the NBA will come.city officials keep conversation with The NBA for expansion that has been in the works.sorry to bust your bubble

Old 04-18-2015, 07:35 AM

2,671 posts, read 2,349,682 times
Quote:
A professional team will come to Birmingham , We as in The MAGIC CITY believe in BIRMINGHAM like never before. I think at least the NBA will come.city officials keep conversation with The NBA for expansion that has been in the works.sorry to bust your bubble
please link to any article about NBA expansion to Birmingham that is "in the works".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City