U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: DOES DC HAVE MORE IN COMMON WITH NYC OR ATLANTA
NYC 38 36.89%
ATLANTA 65 63.11%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2015, 03:44 PM

6,797 posts, read 6,625,315 times

Advertisements

And DC posters are crying because Atlanta got more votes than NYC so they started bashing Atlanta thinking that's going to switch votes over.

Old 04-29-2015, 03:44 PM

2,037 posts, read 2,150,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80s_kid View Post
LOL. This is a weird comparison. Atlanta's only comparisons with DC is that is that they dominate their region and they are top notch cities for Blacks....The city of DC is more like NYC and the suburbs are more like ATL. Culturally, DC isn't like either to me, it's Mid-Atlantic.
Exactly. To be honest, comparing DC to Atlanta in any capacity is and remains an insult. Anybody who makes this comparison, really does not know DC very well.

In terms of atlanta being walkable, it is NOT EVEN CLOSE to DC.

Atlanta, GA Walkscore 46 Car Dependent
DC Walkscore 74 Very Walkable

So please spare me the "Atlanta is walkable" BS. It's not. I can comfortably Walk from the Mall, all the way to my house in NW without a single highway obstruction, entirely sidewalks, entirely walkable communities. South to North. It's a six mile walk, but in reality, I can stop along the way, visit a park, get some beer. How do I know this, because I have done it. Good luck trying something similar with the entirety of Atlanta.

These two cities cannot be further apart.

In addition when DC was developing it took much of it's colonial styling like Boston, Baltimore, and other cities in the Northeaster Corridor did.

Comparing DC and Altlanta is about as Apples and Oranges as it gets.

Also with the DC and SF thing, DC is far closer to SF than it is to Atlanta and the walk score is pretty clear proof of that as well. 76 is much closer to SF 84.

Last edited by DistrictSonic; 04-29-2015 at 04:29 PM..

Old 04-29-2015, 03:47 PM

1,937 posts, read 3,251,309 times
Suburban DC looks much more like Suburban Atlanta than Suburban NY, southern brick architecture, and lots of new sprawling suburbs. But DT DC is like neither. It's more like Boston in terms of educated people, density and rowhouse neighborhoods.

Old 04-29-2015, 03:50 PM

6,797 posts, read 6,625,315 times
I hope people keep voting Atlanta en masse so that the D.C. posters can continue to whine and complain. They act like having rowhouses is something unique to only the Northeast...

Savannah, Charleston, NOLA, St Louis, Chicago, Cinncinati, Cleveland, I can go on and on...that does NOT mean you're like NYC.

Old 04-29-2015, 03:59 PM

6,212 posts, read 7,069,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
And DC posters are crying because Atlanta got more votes than NYC so they started bashing Atlanta thinking that's going to switch votes over.
I couldn't care less about what a "scientific" poll on C-D results in. There could be a poll thread stating on whether or not that ATL is a country town compared to Chicago, but if the majority say yes then that's on them. Despite its somewhat moderate density (by American standards) and built environment, I'm sure ATL has a good number of urban neighborhoods that are vibrant and colorful. They certainly seem like the most urban neighborhoods in the South outside of New Orleans, Richmond, etc.

Old 04-29-2015, 04:00 PM

6,212 posts, read 7,069,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheseGoTo11 View Post
Suburban DC looks much more like Suburban Atlanta than Suburban NY, southern brick architecture, and lots of new sprawling suburbs. But DT DC is like neither. It's more like Boston in terms of educated people, density and rowhouse neighborhoods.
I see some Boston but mostly Chicago and Philly as far as DC in its entirety is concerned, not just Downtown.

Old 04-29-2015, 04:10 PM

9,086 posts, read 12,901,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcave360 View Post
Apparently some of the ATL posters aren't understanding this concept for whatever reason. Look, we all know DC isn't New York (and a lot of us in the DMV prefer it that way tbh) but it's definitely "closer" in the built environment, street layout (more like Chicago tho), and density department to New York than ATL is (I know Atlanta must be a pretty cool city itself). I don't see what's debatable about that assessment, it is what it is like I said. It's really not that serious lol.
I don't understand what I said in response to another post that was so inacurrate.
I never made any statements detailing how Atlanta was jUST like D.C.
If you all would read these comments in order of the conversation instead of just going with a statement without context,you would understand more.

Old 04-29-2015, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcave360 View Post
Exactly. Quite a sizeable chunk of Atlanta would be considered the 'burbs up here, especially when taking into account its geographic size.
Why are you guys threatened because I responded to a poster that said "Atlanta has no walkable communities"?
What does me posting pictures of two neighborhoods dispelling that statement seem to somehow make you defensive and having the urge to tell me how much more urban D.C. is?As if a blind man didnt know that.
NOTHING I said should have made you feel you needed to respond in that manner unless you feel threatened

You D.C. boosters are ridiculous.

Old 04-29-2015, 04:30 PM

2,037 posts, read 2,150,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Why are you guys threatened because I responded to a poster that said "Atlanta has no walkable communities"?
What does me posting pictures of two neighborhoods dispelling that statement seem to somehow make you defensive and having the urge to tell me how much more urban D.C. is?As if a blind man didnt know that.
NOTHING I said should have made you feel you needed to respond in that manner unless you feel threatened

You D.C. boosters are ridiculous.
Quit comparing DC to Atlanta, the cities are nothing alike, if you bothered to compare it to a city that was comparible, it would make more sense. Like how does DC compare to Portland, Philly, Boston, or Seattle, etc. You know cities which it share commonality with and are also significantly more walkable and transit friendly where they are actually apples to apples comparisons. Rather than apples to oranges, or in the case of georgia, peaches.

DC's commonality with Atlanta is basically pretty non-existant at this point in DC history.

Old 04-29-2015, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DistrictSonic View Post
Quit comparing DC to Atlanta, the cities are nothing alike, if you bothered to compare it to a city that was comparible, it would make more sense. Like how does DC compare to Portland, Philly, Boston, or Seattle, etc. You know cities which it share commonality with and are also significantly more walkable and transit friendly where they are actually apples to apples comparisons. Rather than apples to oranges, or in the case of georgia, peaches.

DC's commonality with Atlanta is basically pretty non-existant at this point in DC history.
What are you talking about?Atlanta and D.C. are JUST a like!Our MARTA is better than METRO by far and Atlanta is SOOO much more walkable than D.C.
In fact D.C. doesnt even have a streetcar like Atlanta!!
D.C. is more similar to Charlotte and Atlanta is more closer to New York.

Are you not able to understand how this forum works?The OP asked a question.If may be a flawed question but I answered it .
Dont be mad at me because most of the people in the poll voted Atlanta.

the fact that you wish to argue a non subject regarding how DC is not like Atlanta shows some serious insecurities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or