Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: DOES DC HAVE MORE IN COMMON WITH NYC OR ATLANTA
NYC 38 36.89%
ATLANTA 65 63.11%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2015, 12:16 PM

366 posts, read 404,152 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Demographically, Atlanta. Built environment, none of them. Culture, none of them except maybe the Black culture which is similar to Atlanta.

That's why I said Atlanta. It's nothing like NYC, but it shares a couple of traits with Atlanta. Still, it's a bizarre comparison.
The dominant culture of Washington DC is "northern" now in almost every traditional sense. So I would put it closer to NYC in that sense, despite hardly being anything alike.

Old 04-22-2015, 12:32 PM

32,084 posts, read 34,672,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Demographically, Atlanta. Built environment, none of them. Culture, none of them except maybe the Black culture which is similar to Atlanta.

That's why I said Atlanta. It's nothing like NYC, but it shares a couple of traits with Atlanta. Still, it's a bizarre comparison.
There are some parallels that can be drawn between DC and Brownstone Brooklyn as far as the built environment is concerned. There is also some similarity in their relative degrees of SWPLness; gentrified Atlanta is not far off in that regard these days either.

In a broad and general sense, they are strikingly similar in that they are the Meccas of Black aristocracy and higher education in the U.S. It's been a while since I've glanced at Our Kind of People but I'm sure DC and ATL fill up more pages in that book than any other cities.

So built environment/"lifestyle" wise, I'd say NYC. Culturally and demographically, I'd say Atlanta. Putting all the issues about Atlanta's Southerness aside, those two metros are more similar to each other than they are to the NYC metro where the vast majority of White people are Jewish, Italian or Irish. They are basically the "old guard" here whereas it's African Americans in ATL and DC.

Old 04-24-2015, 05:04 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,027,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
There are some parallels that can be drawn between DC and Brownstone Brooklyn as far as the built environment is concerned. There is also some similarity in their relative degrees of SWPLness; gentrified Atlanta is not far off in that regard these days either.

In a broad and general sense, they are strikingly similar in that they are the Meccas of Black aristocracy and higher education in the U.S. It's been a while since I've glanced at Our Kind of People but I'm sure DC and ATL fill up more pages in that book than any other cities.

So built environment/"lifestyle" wise, I'd say NYC. Culturally and demographically, I'd say Atlanta. Putting all the issues about Atlanta's Southerness aside, those two metros are more similar to each other than they are to the NYC metro where the vast majority of White people are Jewish, Italian or Irish. They are basically the "old guard" here whereas it's African Americans in ATL and DC.
The majority of the population of Atlanta is still white...Atlanta is 32% black, on a similar scale to D.C.

I would think that Atlanta and D.C. have more in common simply due to their similar size and a couple of other similarities, but D.C. is a very unique American city and not really like any other.

Old 04-24-2015, 10:08 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,204,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
The majority of the population of Atlanta is still white...Atlanta is 32% black, on a similar scale to D.C.

I would think that Atlanta and D.C. have more in common simply due to their similar size and a couple of other similarities, but D.C. is a very unique American city and not really like any other.
Are you talking about city limits or metro area?

Old 04-24-2015, 10:46 PM

20,512 posts, read 33,510,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcave360 View Post
Are you talking about city limits or metro area?
He's talking about the metro.

Old 04-25-2015, 01:03 AM

6,208 posts, read 9,204,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
He's talking about the metro.
Oh okay, nearly threw me for a loop at first lol.

Old 04-25-2015, 05:34 AM

1,291 posts, read 1,522,213 times
There's really nothing like NYC. And there's nowhere like DC in the USA either. One city is the iconic USA city known around the world by culturalists, historians, etc etc, DC is the nations capital, Atlanta is a pretty stereotypical USA city (especially for the south). How do you begin to compare any of these?

Old 04-25-2015, 10:54 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,890,328 times
Atlanta isn't as culturally and historically unique as NOLA but I certainly wouldn't call it a stereotypical Southern city at all.

Old 04-25-2015, 11:18 AM

1,291 posts, read 1,522,213 times
If Atlanta isn't a stereotypical southern city, what is?

Old 04-25-2015, 11:58 AM

562 posts, read 1,125,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwahfromtheheart View Post
If Atlanta isn't a stereotypical southern city, what is?
More like Savannah, Charleston, Mobile, Montgomery.

IMHO, the District itself is more overall similar to NY than it is to Atlanta, even though both the central cores of DC and Atlanta do have neighborhoods that are similar to each other.

As far as the suburbs are concerned, Metro DC and Atlanta are for the most part, mirror images of each other, and are more similar to each other than Suburban DC is to NY!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.