U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 04-22-2015, 03:27 PM
 
Location: Vineland, NJ
8,386 posts, read 9,975,645 times
Reputation: 5230

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForYourLungsOnly View Post
..
That's basically the reaction of most posters who can't accept the fact that Philly's downtown area is actually more populated than Chicago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-22-2015, 03:28 PM
 
Location: The City
21,966 posts, read 30,873,769 times
Reputation: 7495
The release is PR game that is better served for Entertainment tonight or potentially CD CvC
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-22-2015, 03:29 PM
 
Location: Chicago (from pittsburgh)
3,678 posts, read 4,360,334 times
Reputation: 2852
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
That's basically the reaction of most posters who can't accept the fact that Philly's downtown area is actually more populated than Chicago.
really? or is it the reaction of posters who are interested in threads using accurate words? "Philadelphia surpasses Chicago as 2nd most populous downtown" would be a whole lot more accurate, man. And again, since when is this recent news?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-22-2015, 03:32 PM
 
Location: Crooklyn, New York
27,640 posts, read 24,871,872 times
Reputation: 11205
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
Keep in mind Philly is still going to rank very high as University City is not included in the downtown stats. University city+ Center City are connected and seamless, absolutely should be considered part of downtown Philly.
University City is not Downtown Philadelphia and shouldn't be considered as such. Our OP even stated this in a prior thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
All I'm saying is that University City and Templetown are not part of the downtown area of Philly. Center City alone rivals anything urban in the entire DC city proper.
Someone made the analogy a while back (it may have been kidphilly) between University City and Center City and Kendall Square and Downtown Boston. I thought that was a good analogy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-22-2015, 03:46 PM
 
Location: Vineland, NJ
8,386 posts, read 9,975,645 times
Reputation: 5230
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
University City is not Downtown Philadelphia and shouldn't be considered as such. Our OP even stated this in a prior thread.



Someone made the analogy a while back between University City and Center City and Kendall Square and Downtown Boston. I thought that was a good analogy.
Picking a post that I said almost 2 years ago before I provided the updated 2015 information and before I found out or had any awareness at that time about Philly expanding its downtown borders with "Greater Center City". As people on Worldstarhiphop would say, "Hold this L".

On a side note: I'm a little surprised that you would actually take time to go through about two years of my posting history just to find some random post to fit your argument.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-22-2015, 03:54 PM
 
Location: Crooklyn, New York
27,640 posts, read 24,871,872 times
Reputation: 11205
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
Picking a post that I said almost 2 years ago before I provided the updated 2015 information and before I found out or had any awareness at that time about Philly expanding its downtown borders with "Greater Center City". As people on Worldstarhiphop would say, "Hold this L".

On a side note: I'm a little surprised that you would actually take time to go through about two years of my posting history just to find some random post to fit your argument.
Right...because I'm sure the idea that 1.6 million people have about where their "downtown" is is dictated by marketing material.

I didn't even have to go through your posts. I just remember you making the opposite argument not long ago and it stood out ("No! University City is not Downtown Philadelphia!!!!")

Just give it up already, man. Your statements were misleading. Even people in the Philly forum say it's misleading. Now you're just making all other Philly posters look bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-22-2015, 04:09 PM
 
Location: Vineland, NJ
8,386 posts, read 9,975,645 times
Reputation: 5230
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Right...because I'm sure the idea that 1.6 million people have about where their "downtown" is is dictated by marketing material.
Individual people have downtown definitions that could vary greatly depending on the person. I'll leave it up to the professionals(Center City District Organization) to decide the boundaries of downtown Philly. What exactly is considered "Uptown" is even debatable depending on what random person you ask on the street.

Quote:
I didn't even have to go through your posts. I just remember you making the opposite argument not long ago and it stood out ("No! University City is not Downtown Philadelphia!!!!")
Right..

Quote:
Just give it up already, man. Your statements were misleading.
What's so misleading about it? Philly's downtown area is more populated than Downtown Chicago. Are you still confused?

Quote:
Even people in the Philly forum say it's misleading. Now you're just making all other Philly posters look bad.
I don't represent all Philly area posters. I just represent myself. That's how it's always been.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-22-2015, 04:21 PM
 
Location: Crooklyn, New York
27,640 posts, read 24,871,872 times
Reputation: 11205
This.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FamousBlueRaincoat View Post
The idea of such a thing as Greater Center City has some merits, particularly for real estate interests, or just in terms of speaking about the trend of gentrification.

But in claiming the 2nd largest downtown in America, it is completely bogus (or rather, the boundaries of Tasker to Girard, river to river, are bogus). Particularly since without such wild fabrications, Philadelphia would still be one of the largest downtowns in the country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-22-2015, 04:27 PM
 
1,324 posts, read 2,003,121 times
Reputation: 1037
I enjoyed reading this report and I like progress Philly is making. However, the report does use different regions and metrics to help emphasize the progress; right or wrong its important to note that if they inconsistantly vary the regions that makeup their stats, then im not convinved they objective used similar regions to other areas for comparison.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-22-2015, 04:27 PM
 
Location: Vineland, NJ
8,386 posts, read 9,975,645 times
Reputation: 5230
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
This.
Cities in this country expand all the time but when Philly does it in regards to its downtown area, now all of a sudden it's a problem?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top