U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 04-24-2015, 11:10 AM
 
Location: Philadelphia, PA
8,702 posts, read 11,348,848 times
Reputation: 3539

Advertisements

I understand man... geez haha. It was just a simple quick mock-up. Why don't you make a mock up on Google Maps of what you think the Downtown area would be?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-24-2015, 11:13 AM
 
Location: Philadelphia, PA
8,702 posts, read 11,348,848 times
Reputation: 3539
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
By the definition we're now using of Center City Philly, you could include like most of Brooklyn for NYC.
What definition is that? I'm including Spring Garden to South St, River to River. And the "Downtown" definition could include University City as well to 40th Street and Powelton Ave to the North.

I would consider Brooklyn to be a secondary Downtown Node, since it is separated by the extremely wide East River and not really a contingent of Manhattan. Does it matter however? What I already included as "Downtown NYC" in Manhattan is nearly 16 square miles. It is by far and large the largest "Downtown" area in the United States.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-24-2015, 11:17 AM
 
9,588 posts, read 10,921,611 times
Reputation: 2119
Quote:
Originally Posted by RightonWalnut View Post
Can't include all of the city man, lol. What would Downtown DC look like to you? It's just a rough mock-up which I made. It doesn't mean this is the 100% definitive definition of Downtown DC.



Is this a joke? Probably because they're separated by the massive East River. I would consider these separate "Downtown Nodes," but they are definitely not a part of the cohesive Downtown of NYC.

I don't use streets to define downtown's. I use development intensity and style. In D.C., Downtown D.C. would include the following neighborhoods because they are all a mix of high rise's with a few row houses mixed in and will ultimately be completely developed as such at full build out.

Downtown D.C. Neighborhoods:

Dupont Circle
Logan Circle
Foggy Bottom
Mt. Vernon Triangle
Golden Triangle
West End
Midtown
Penn Quarter
Northwest One
NOMA
Union Market
SW Eco District
The Wharf
Waterfront Station
Capital Riverfront
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-24-2015, 11:27 AM
 
9,588 posts, read 10,921,611 times
Reputation: 2119
Quote:
Originally Posted by RightonWalnut View Post
I understand man... geez haha. It was just a simple quick mock-up. Why don't you make a mock up on Google Maps of what you think the Downtown area would be?
Ok, I'll see what I can do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-24-2015, 11:29 AM
 
9,701 posts, read 6,676,246 times
Reputation: 9776
Quote:
Originally Posted by RightonWalnut View Post

Is this a joke? Probably because they're separated by the massive East River. I would consider these separate "Downtown Nodes," but they are definitely not a part of the cohesive Downtown of NYC.
I don't see why a river would mean it isn't "downtown". That seems to be totally arbitrary.

No it isn't ''downtown" in the NYC sense, but that has nothing to with what we're discussing, which seems to be "city cores". If the Italian Market and U City are "downtown" Philly then most of NYC is "downtown".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-24-2015, 11:32 AM
 
9,588 posts, read 10,921,611 times
Reputation: 2119
Quote:
Originally Posted by RightonWalnut View Post
What definition is that? I'm including Spring Garden to South St, River to River. And the "Downtown" definition could include University City as well to 40th Street and Powelton Ave to the North.

I would consider Brooklyn to be a secondary Downtown Node, since it is separated by the extremely wide East River and not really a contingent of Manhattan. Does it matter however? What I already included as "Downtown NYC" in Manhattan is nearly 16 square miles. It is by far and large the largest "Downtown" area in the United States.

This is the development zone for downtown D.C. Massive high-rise buildings are being built in this footprint.


Bing Maps - Driving Directions, Traffic and Road Conditions
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-24-2015, 11:44 AM
 
Location: Philadelphia, PA
8,702 posts, read 11,348,848 times
Reputation: 3539
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
I don't see why a river would mean it isn't "downtown". That seems to be totally arbitrary.

No it isn't ''downtown" in the NYC sense, but that has nothing to with what we're discussing, which seems to be "city cores". If the Italian Market and U City are "downtown" Philly then most of NYC is "downtown".
The Italian Market is not Downtown at all. That is South Philly. Did you not see what I considered to be "Downtown Philadelphia"?
https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?m...U.kygLBzfP-a0s


And yes, a river usually wouldn't be a divider if it was a small river, like the Schuylkill in Philadelphia or the Chicago River. However, the East River is massive, and definitely acts as more of a divider instead of a small "event" - as Cesar Peli describes it when comparing the Schuylkill to the Le Seine in Paris.

The East River is massively wide. It definitely acts as a dividing point instead of a simple minute or two walk across a 300 foot long bridge. Manhattan and Downtown Brooklyn are definitely two separate Downtowns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-24-2015, 11:47 AM
 
Location: Philadelphia, PA
8,702 posts, read 11,348,848 times
Reputation: 3539
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
This is the development zone for downtown D.C. Massive high-rise buildings are being built in this footprint.


Bing Maps - Driving Directions, Traffic and Road Conditions
I gotcha. This makes sense too considering current development trends. Either way DC definitely has the second largest Downtown square mileage wise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-24-2015, 12:07 PM
 
Location: Crooklyn, New York
27,613 posts, read 24,808,715 times
Reputation: 11185
Quote:
Originally Posted by RightonWalnut View Post
I would consider Brooklyn to be a secondary Downtown Node, since it is separated by the extremely wide East River and not really a contingent of Manhattan.
So it's a secondary node similar University City and not considered "downtown."

Defining Downtown » Read the Report

Center City District and the Central Philadelphia Development Corporation exclude University City from their definition of "downtown." They call it a secondary employment node.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-24-2015, 12:11 PM
 
Location: Crooklyn, New York
27,613 posts, read 24,808,715 times
Reputation: 11185
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
I don't see why a river would mean it isn't "downtown". That seems to be totally arbitrary.
It is arbitrary. I see no reason why Downtown BK can't be considered "Greater Manhattan" or at least part of the city's core/CBD. What panel of experts convened and decided how wide or narrow a river has to be in order for a business district to be considered part of the "downtown."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top