Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2015, 01:38 PM

7,736 posts, read 5,514,664 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
Why are you making this response to my post? I made observations about Philly's growth that the study posted by the OP reveals. I never made any reference to Chicago - neither its comparable rate of growth (nor of decline).

Therefore, since you are interested in a different topic, why don't you try searching for "growth rates/raw numbers" of downtowns?
My mistake, the wording of the comment seemed like you were implying something else (there has been a lot of bickering back and forth). Sorry Pine to Vine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2015, 02:10 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,255,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
My mistake, the wording of the comment seemed like you were implying something else (there has been a lot of bickering back and forth). Sorry Pine to Vine.
Thanks and yes about the bickering. It's the nature of these things. It seems folks share the view one city's accomplishments can only come at the expense of another city.

I haven't been to Chicago for about 10 years, but FWIW, I feel pretty sure Chicago still has the larger downtown (at least what I consider to be downtown). The report posted by the OP signals a lot of continued promise for Philly, but I think they are stretching the boundaries of downtown well beyond most locals would consider them to be.

Philly is great. We don't need to declare far-flung neighborhoods as Center City to prove it.

Old 04-23-2015, 02:47 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,910,924 times
Thought these are interesting based on miles from center

Peaks, valleys, and donuts: a great new way to see American cities | City Observatory

and the data for cities

The Changing Shape of American Cities | StatChat

Old 04-23-2015, 06:59 PM

2,535 posts, read 3,279,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
Thanks and yes about the bickering. It's the nature of these things. It seems folks share the view one city's accomplishments can only come at the expense of another city.
I haven't been to Chicago for about 10 years, but FWIW, I feel pretty sure Chicago still has the larger downtown (at least what I consider to be downtown). The report posted by the OP signals a lot of continued promise for Philly, but I think they are stretching the boundaries of downtown well beyond most locals would consider them to be.
Philly is great. We don't need to declare far-flung neighborhoods as Center City to prove it.
YES I agree Philly's downtown is in robust mode and we applaud all our cities improvements and advancements.

Early in the thread was boasting that ADDED Chicago in decline and falling behind. That started the bickering and defense for Chicago. Especially by
It's clear it is NOT.
Others posted Sights with statistical numbers and how the US census defines the scope of a Downtown. 2-miles from its City Hall, and for some.... a additional mile buffer zone.

I just noted and others previously. Chicago looses a 1/3 of that mile. To Grant Park and into Lake Michigan.
I noted how Chicago's Loop downtown originally alone. Had virtually NO RESIDENTIAL UNITS TILL LATE 70S 80S. IT SKYROCKETED 95% by 2000 DESPITE LOSING TO PARKLAND AND WATER.......... NOTICE THE %'s CHANGES BEING HUGE ��

Commercial Downtown Population 2000-2010 %changes Within 1/2 mile % change.. Within 1 mile% change

Center City - Philadelphia PA ..............57,239 ....16.3% ...........107,853 ...16.2% ..........170,467 ...8.9%
Downtown Chicago, IL .................... ...53,832...(95.6%) ......... 101,885..(45.5%) .........144,051.(46.0%)

with extended 1 mile buffer zone Circle that HAS CHICAGO'S GRANT PARK AND HARBOR IN.
Defining Downtown » Read the Report

Again Chicago SHOULD Add its GOLD COAST NEXT TO ITS OFFICIAL DOWNTOWN, AND A AREA SOUTH OF THE LOOP
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_curious_urbanist View Post
It will be better to ignore jealous Chicagoans. Chicago wishes it is as exciting, robust, and classy as Philly and they can't hide their insecurities about being a declining Midwestern city.
LOL I DO NOT THINK CHICAGOANS NEED TO SEE THEIR CITY IN DECLINE WITH THIS AWESOME DOWNTOWN AND NUMBERS OF GROWTH DOWNTOWN. THIS PICTURE IS FOR YOU AND ALL DECLARE DECLINE??? AND THIS ▶▶▶▶ : smack: smack #¤&&%#@@

This 10 Year old Picture shows Downtown and A potion of the Gold Coast on the Right.
DOWNTOWN OFFICIALLY ENDS AT THE BEND IN LAKE SHORE DR. AT THE BEACH AND ACROSS THE MIDDLE HERE⤵⤵

THIS PICTURE SHOWS SOUTH OF THE LOOP . DOWNTOWN ENDS AT THE FIRST MAIN STREET NEAR THE MIDDLE OF THE PICTURE. THOSE SKYSCRAPERS ON THE LEFT RESIDENTIAL. ARE NOT INCLUDE
MIDDLE OF PICTURE IS NEW TOWNHOUSE DEVELOPMENTS ⤵

Old 04-23-2015, 07:08 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,335,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steeps View Post
I gave Chicago's downtowns numbers.... Chicago's # 1 mocker in threads. got to do it ... despite you being a female
No, you didn't. There is no such thing as Census-based downtown population numbers. The fact is that Chicago has the worst population numbers of any major city in the U.S., per the Census. In fact Illinois also has the worst population numbers of any state. Cook County (Chicago and inner suburbs) is actually losing population.

I have no idea what "Chicago's #1 mocker...got to do it...despite you being a female" means. Can anyone translate that to English, please? Who is named "mocker", who is the referenced "female", and wtf does this have to do with the thread?

Old 04-23-2015, 07:17 PM

2,535 posts, read 3,279,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
No, you didn't. There is no such thing as Census-based downtown population numbers. The fact is that Chicago has the worst population numbers of any major city in the U.S., per the Census. In fact Illinois also has the worst population numbers of any state. Cook County (Chicago and inner suburbs) is actually losing population.

I have no idea what "Chicago's #1 mocker...got to do it...despite you being a female" means. Can anyone translate that to English, please? Who is named "mocker", who is the referenced "female", and wtf does this have to do with the thread?
look through your post for the last few months. See how many others noted it??? You stirred up many a threads. The ONLY THREAD I SAW YOU DEFEND CHICAGO. WAS AGAINST TORONTO... LOL I MERELY NOTED YOU ARE FEMALE. GETTING A smack unsmiley for your slight. YOUR COMMENT SAYING NOTHING IN PHILLY'S FAVOR? ONLY MENTIONING CHICAGO... SAYS IT ALL.

Old 04-23-2015, 07:33 PM

1,325 posts, read 2,365,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skbl17 View Post
Great news for Philly! Now, does anyone care outside of C-D regulars and the Philadelphia Chamber of Commerce?

I'm not hating on Philadelphia, but I don't think anyone is making the decision to move to Philadelphia solely on the basis that its downtown population is slightly larger in population than Chicago's. It's like claiming Chicago is better than Philadelphia because its grass is shorter, or that Miami is better than Houston because its name has fewer letters; it may seem like a win for the homers (and they'll certainly play it up that way), but everyday Americans could seriously care less.

What about Chicago and Philly in reasonable metrics that people actually care about, like modes of transportation, school systems, entertainment, and the health of the economy?

- skbl17
No need to compare Chicago and Philly again. It was done already, and Chicago was the clear winner

Chicago vs. Philadelphia

Old 04-23-2015, 07:34 PM

2,598 posts, read 4,924,801 times
NOLA, your posts do say it all. You are not a fan of Chicago, and it shows....over and over and over. Doesn't matter, though, because every city has a detractor, or two. After a while, it's not hard to figure out who they are.

Old 04-23-2015, 09:08 PM

306 posts, read 479,932 times
Dumbest thread I have ever read. I hardly ever chat on the city vs city site and this thread is a major reason why.

Old 04-23-2015, 09:15 PM

8,632 posts, read 12,996,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westburbsil View Post
Dumbest thread I have ever read. I hardly ever chat on the city vs city site and this thread is a major reason why.
A thread so dumb yet you can't even dispute my argument. So the only thing you have left is ad hominem. No offense but you sound like a bitter Chicagoland homer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City