U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is more fun and better to live in? Chicago, Illinois or New York City, New York?
Chicago, Illinois 35 37.63%
New York City, New York 58 62.37%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-28-2015, 11:06 AM

3,453 posts, read 2,975,710 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
CL isn't really a proxy for rents, though. Half of the NYC apartment stock consists of rent-regulated apartments, and those never reach CL or other public venues.

I would say there are plenty of $1600 2 bedrooms in Bed Stuy. Heck, there are even $200 2 bedrooms in prime Manhattan. You'll just never see them listed (they're in NYCHA).

I have a friend that lives in Hell's Kitchen and pays 1700 for his 1 bedroom. There are deals and steals all over Manhattan and the boroughs
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2015, 11:10 AM

1,699 posts, read 1,482,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UAE50 View Post
Tell me where Miami ranks in terms of billionaire residents. Go on, I'm waiting...

It's so low, it doesn't even register on the lists..
Just about every billionaire in the USA has a residence in Miami, their primary residence is due to restrictions placed on them if they're CEOs. After NYC, Miami has the highest valued luxury properties, and that's because every billionaire wants a place here.

Now as for you, my friend why do you live in such a boring city? For fun?

Old 04-28-2015, 11:12 AM

3,453 posts, read 2,975,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
You mean you live in a 2 bedroom in Bed-Stuy on Nostrand Ave for $1600?

I'd have to say that's extremely unusual. In fact, CL doesn't have any listings for a two bedroom in Bed-Stuy for under $1600.

$1600 to $2000: 19 listings (avg $1805)
$2000 to $2400: 24 listings (avg $2145)
$2400 to $2800: 22 listings (avg $2535)
I live right next too the Bedford nordstrand Train station. Literally when I get off at that station my apartment is right there. That's why I say I live at Bedford norstrand

Old 04-28-2015, 11:24 AM

282 posts, read 257,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDPMiami View Post
Just about every billionaire in the USA has a residence in Miami, their primary residence is due to restrictions placed on them if they're CEOs. After NYC, Miami has the highest valued luxury properties, and that's because every billionaire wants a place here.

Now as for you, my friend why do you live in such a boring city? For fun?
Why don't they actually live in Miami? If every billionaire thought fondly of Miami, surely they would move their jobs over, no? If Miami was so lovely, corporations would be flocking there and they would get their $$$ count up to at least Dallas level but no. But in year 2015, there is hardly two corporations in Miami, the UHWNI and billionaire levels are low, the per capita income levels are third-world low, there aren't any white collar jobs. Interesting.

Look what they did to Monaco. The place is fabulous and rich, unlike Miami Beach.

Old 04-28-2015, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Why don't they actually live in Miami? If every billionaire thought fondly of Miami, surely they would move their jobs over, no? If Miami was so lovely, corporations would be flocking there and they would get their $$$ count up to at least Dallas level but no.
Because to be a CEO of a corporation your primary residence has to be in the state of their headquarters. But the important question is why Dallas is so wealthy your luxury property is so far behind ours? We have so much luxurious condominiums being built, like the Porsche towers. Where rent is 80,000 USD monthly. Where is your equivalent in Dallas? Why did Miami make number 6 on the Knight Frank study, and Dallas didn't make the list at all?

Think about it some, and look where you live.

Old 04-28-2015, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Because to be a CEO of a corporation your primary residence has to be in the state of their headquarters. But the important question is why Dallas is so wealthy your luxury property is so far behind ours? We have so much luxurious condominiums being built, like the Porsche towers. Where rent is 80,000 USD monthly. Where is your equivalent in Dallas? Why did Miami make number 6 on the Knight Frank study, and Dallas didn't make the list at all?

CEOs can freely move corporations. It happens all the time. Again, if all of those rich people thought Miami was the place to live, there would be at least 1 Miami Beach (or Palm Beach) hedge fund ranked in Barron's top 200 hedge funds in America. But there isn't a single one. Not a one. It's so easy to move hedge funds in particular. Even after Miami and Palm Beach have been doing their hardest, poor things, to promote Palm Beach or Miami Beach as this place hedge funders are "moving to", actual data tells us that the puff pieces aren't enough to sway these people from actually opening shop in that area. Even with the low cost of living and no state income tax (especially versus the oppressive taxes and cost of NYC), they still say no.

LOL.

Old 04-28-2015, 11:33 AM

Quote:
CEOs can freely move corporations. It happens all the time. Again, if all of those rich people thought Miami was the place to live, there would be at least 1 Miami Beach hedge fund ranked in Barron's top 200 hedge funds in America. But there isn't a single one. Not a one. Even after Miami and Palm Beach did their hardest, poor things, to promote Palm Beach or Miami Beach as this place hedge funders are "moving to".

LOL.
MmmHmmm, that's why Miami is ranked 6 on the list of most important places to UHNWI and Dallas is, where?

Where are Dallas' luxury properties worth 50 million? Where are Dallas' luxury condominiums capable of charging almost 100k in monthly rent?

Crickets Chirping, crickets chirping.

Old 04-28-2015, 11:36 AM

1,227 posts, read 1,119,356 times
To answer the OP before it got off topic (and it always goes off-topic), cities aren't boring, people are boring.

Find good people to be around, and time will just fly.

Old 04-28-2015, 11:37 AM

Quote:
MmmHmmm, that's why Miami is ranked 6 on the list of most important places to UHNWI and Dallas is, where?

Where are Dallas' luxury properties worth 50 million? Where are Dallas' luxury condominiums capable of charging almost 100k in monthly rent?

Crickets Chirping, crickets chirping.
Hmmmm, where is Miami ranked in the top 50 cities for UHWNI individuals?

Hmmmm, where is Miami ranked in the top 50 billionaire cities.

I can't find it.

Old 04-28-2015, 12:08 PM

589 posts, read 584,261 times
Quote:

the only reason Miami is so "Important" to the Wealthies, is because of Vacationing. Miami is a resort city. not a respectable rounded city like Philly, Chicago, Dallas, New York or most other American cities with stable levels of industry, buisness, and rounded population of high, mid and low incomes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or