U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is more fun and better to live in? Chicago, Illinois or New York City, New York?
Chicago, Illinois 35 37.63%
New York City, New York 58 62.37%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2015, 09:48 AM

3,280 posts, read 3,559,409 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDPMiami View Post
Gas is one of the few things that isn't the same nationally.

Groceries, eh, they're about the same.
I meant to say it was more expensive in NYC. Consumables and services cost more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2015, 09:55 AM

9,701 posts, read 6,698,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandalorian View Post
I meant to say it was more expensive in NYC. Consumables and services cost more.
That isn't true. It costs the same in NYC.

I lived in NYC, and everything costs the same as anywhere else in the U.S., except for rent.

NYC has huge numbers of poor immigrants. How do you think they thrive if everything is so expensive? Why don't the poor immigrants all move to Ohio or somewhere?

In reality, NYC is not more expensive than living in other areas, because only apartments cost more, and people adapt by living in small apartments and ditching cars. People who have lived there "get it". You don't "save money" by moving to Indiana or something. It's just a different lifestyle.

Old 04-24-2015, 11:04 AM

886 posts, read 587,988 times
Quote:
I thought Manhattan was more expensive for some reason, but 3-4k a month for a 1-bedroom is doable for everyone with a normal job. So I stand corrected.

Also half a mil for a home is expensive? Since when? Most middle class people can afford that.
3-4k a month for a 1 bedroom is outrageously expensive for the average American with a normal job. If the OP can pay 3-4k a month for a 1 bedroom, he/ she needs to remove affordability from the criteria. As I said before, NYC has expensive housing but if you know where to go, other things might actually be cheaper in NYC.
As for the question in the OP, if you want NYC...go to NYC...nothing else will compare if you are in NY state of mind

Old 04-24-2015, 11:07 AM

4,925 posts, read 4,605,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Not true. Why do outsiders always say this about NYC? Is it to rationalize living in Bumblefunk, Arkansas or something?

The only thing more expensive in NYC is real estate. Everything else costs the same as everywhere else in the U.S. You really think an apple or blue jeans or a bike or a shovel have varying prices based on locality? It's all the same currency. Home Depot or Macys or Target don't vary their prices by location.
I agree with you on that. Only in NYC thing that is more expensive is the housing but housing takes a large part of your salary if you don't own. I actually thought you could find a lot of good bargains in NYC compared to other cities on food, clothing anything really they have an underground market for everything in NYC.

Old 04-24-2015, 11:07 AM

1,699 posts, read 1,484,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogoesthere View Post
3-4k a month for a 1 bedroom is outrageously expensive for the average American with a normal job. If the OP can pay 3-4k a month for a 1 bedroom, he/ she needs to remove affordability from the criteria. As I said before, NYC has expensive housing but if you know where to go, other things might actually be cheaper in NYC.
As for the question in the OP, if you want NYC...go to NYC...nothing else will compare if you are in NY state of mind
I paid about 5k a month in rent in ATLANTA just to get a corporate place (furnished, maid comes and cleans kind of place). I know that 3-4k won't come with these perks, but it's NYC we're talking about. I'm not sure what kind of normal job wouldn't support him, if he's a waiter, school teacher, but if he's white collar and single he can afford it.

Old 04-24-2015, 11:12 AM

9,701 posts, read 6,698,955 times
3k is not that much in other parts of the U.S. My brother has a 3k monthly mortgage and he is in suburban Detroit. I don't think Michigan is particularly expensive, and his house is nice, but hardly a mansion.

Old 04-24-2015, 11:20 AM

1,699 posts, read 1,484,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
3k is not that much in other parts of the U.S. My brother has a 3k monthly mortgage and he is in suburban Detroit. I don't think Michigan is particularly expensive, and his house is nice, but hardly a mansion.
In suburban Detroit, in the nicer suburbs, the median price for a home is about 300-400k. Not too far off that half a mil in Queens. And that's Michigan, that's metro Detroit. Far less desirable places to live, for a plethora of reasons than NYC.

Really people make a big deal about NYC being expensive, it's more expensive than some other locals but not by a whole lot.

Old 04-24-2015, 11:25 AM

11,831 posts, read 9,856,146 times
For what you get-no NYC is not ridiculously overpriced. Expensive, yes!

Would I pay 3k a month in rent? Hell no! But I did manage to live in NYC as a poor college student working at restaurants and paying ~$500/month rent in a nice neighborhood in the Bronx.

Boston and DC, which are close in costs to NYC, on the other hand I feel are very overpriced.

Old 04-24-2015, 11:27 AM

7,256 posts, read 3,299,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGuyWithNoName View Post
The business I want to start is being an Internet Service Provider. The United States has been reported to need more broadband competition.
You will need to have several million dollars just to get started. Broadband infrastructure isn't cheap. If you want to run an ISP, your best bet is to do a fixed wireless system on the outskirts of a major city or in a small town in an area that isn't serviced by a cable or DSL provider. People will gladly drop Hughesnet if another option is available. You won't be able to go up against the likes of Comcast in a major metropolitan area unless you are Google.

Old 04-24-2015, 01:34 PM

282 posts, read 257,831 times
Quote:
I thought Manhattan was more expensive for some reason, but 3-4k a month for a 1-bedroom is doable for everyone with a normal job. So I stand corrected.

Also half a mil for a home is expensive? Since when? Most middle class people can afford that.
Most middle-class people can't afford that. Upper-Middle class, yes, but as we know, most Americans aren't white collar professionals earning $150k+. Median wage per worker in the United States is around $40k.

Yes, Manhattan is obviously the most expensive place in America but that doesn't mean Queens and Brooklyn are inexpensive. If middle-class people bought $600k homes, the median sales price for a home in the United States wouldn't be only $178,400.

And Brooklyn and Queens are both 3x more expensive than Miami and 2x more expensive than Miami Beach on average. Median sales price in Miami is $220k, Miami Beach: $335k. So go ask your neighbors why they aren't living in $600k+ homes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or