Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is more fun and better to live in? Chicago, Illinois or New York City, New York?
Chicago, Illinois 35 37.63%
New York City, New York 58 62.37%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2015, 08:46 PM

3,278 posts, read 5,342,073 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Not true. Why do outsiders always say this about NYC? Is it to rationalize living in Bumblefunk, Arkansas or something?

The only thing more expensive in NYC is real estate. Everything else costs the same as everywhere else in the U.S. You really think an apple or blue jeans or a bike or a shovel have varying prices based on locality? It's all the same currency. Home Depot or Macys or Target don't vary their prices by location.
No, things are more expensive. Taxes are higher than in most places. Food/groceries are certainly more expensive. Sure, something like an iPod or pair of Levi's is the same nationally. Also gas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2015, 09:21 PM

183 posts, read 218,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Chicago does not have the second best system in the U.S. That would be DC.

Chicago has a top five transit system in the U.S., but it doesn't matter. The difference in transit quality between #1 and #2 is bigger than the difference in transit quality between #2 and #100.
The 2nd best transit system is Philadelphia. Chicago maybe #4. New York is better than Chicago because it's growing and not stagnating and you have more options and connections to big names, if you're looking to advance your career. Plus, New York is less than 100 miles from America's finest city and cultural Mecca.

Old 04-23-2015, 09:29 PM

1,699 posts, read 2,135,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandalorian View Post
No, things are more expensive. Taxes are higher than in most places. Food/groceries are certainly more expensive. Sure, something like an iPod or pair of Levi's is the same nationally. Also gas.
Gas is one of the few things that isn't the same nationally.

Groceries, eh, they're about the same.

Old 04-23-2015, 10:09 PM

282 posts, read 348,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDPMiami View Post
Not every place in NYC is Manhattan, I wouldn't consider Brooklyn expensive if you're a renter, and the rest of the boroughs are even cheaper than Brooklyn.

But ofc transplants don't move to NYC to end up living in Queens or god forbid, Staten Island. They do it to live in Manhattan or at the very least Brooklyn, so many live beyond their means for a short time and then move back to wherever they came from and get to say they lived in NYC.

Personally, I would never rent anymore. I buy, and then when finished, I sell, usually to a big profit. That's a way of safeguarding your wealth even if you move around a lot. If you buy in high demand areas, like Manhattan, selling will never be a problem.
Brooklyn and Queens are expensive.

Even to buy

Old 04-24-2015, 12:33 AM

366 posts, read 400,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Personmanthing View Post
Affordability?

Chicago hands down not even close.

Whats the point of NYC if the vast majority don't have access to most offerings/can't afford it?

Its the perfect example of this work-obsessed American culture. 70 hour work weeks just to make rent! But I live in NYC, so its totally worth it!
I love it when people post as if Chicago is cheap, it's quite funny.

It's like calling a 350 pound dude skinny because a 400 pound dude is more fat.

Last edited by KaneKane; 04-24-2015 at 12:43 AM..

Old 04-24-2015, 12:48 AM

366 posts, read 400,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDPMiami View Post
Not every place in NYC is Manhattan, I wouldn't consider Brooklyn expensive if you're a renter, and the rest of the boroughs are even cheaper than Brooklyn.

But ofc transplants don't move to NYC to end up living in Queens or god forbid, Staten Island. They do it to live in Manhattan or at the very least Brooklyn, so many live beyond their means for a short time and then move back to wherever they came from and get to say they lived in NYC.

Personally, I would never rent anymore. I buy, and then when finished, I sell, usually to a big profit. That's a way of safeguarding your wealth even if you move around a lot. If you buy in high demand areas, like Manhattan, selling will never be a problem.
That isn't even close to being true. There are lots of Asians who would probably only live in Queens.

Old 04-24-2015, 07:11 AM

728 posts, read 965,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaneKane View Post
That isn't even close to being true. There are lots of Asians who would probably only live in Queens.
Not only Asians! I would move to Queens too. It's probably my favorite borough.

Old 04-24-2015, 08:24 AM

1,699 posts, read 2,135,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UAE50 View Post
Brooklyn and Queens are expensive.
I thought Manhattan was more expensive for some reason, but 3-4k a month for a 1-bedroom is doable for everyone with a normal job. So I stand corrected.

Also half a mil for a home is expensive? Since when? Most middle class people can afford that.

Old 04-24-2015, 08:46 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,234,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaneKane View Post
And much of western Queens is full of yuppie transplants. Long Island City, Astoria, Sunnyside and the like have basically the same demographics as Manhattan or Brownstone Brooklyn.

Old 04-24-2015, 08:48 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,234,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Personmanthing View Post
Whats the point of NYC if the vast majority don't have access to most offerings/can't afford it?
That's true in any city. What's the point of "enter any random city" if most people can't access the best of their respective cities? It isn't like the average person in Omaha can access the best of Omaha either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City