Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is more fun and better to live in? Chicago, Illinois or New York City, New York?
Chicago, Illinois 35 37.63%
New York City, New York 58 62.37%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2015, 08:22 PM

90 posts, read 147,535 times

Advertisements

Based on:

Affordability

Fun for young adults ages 20-25

Plenty of single straight women ages 20-25

Great public transportation

Good paying jobs (more than $90,000 a year)

Good city to start a business of being an Internet Service Provider (I'd try to get the funds through Kickstarter, since it cost millions of dollars to start, that's a goal though)

I'll never live in a rural area by choice, it's lonely, depressing, and less jobs if any are available. And the Internet? The best available is HughesNet! It's slow, limited data, and overpriced! Mifi is even more expensive since you have to pay by the gb. Also, I hate the lifestyle, so much wasted land, just miles of grass and no stores/businesses, not even houses, no fast food, no convenience stores, not even gas stations!

I'd rather live in a small studio apartment in a big city than a big house out in the country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2015, 08:19 AM

1,098 posts, read 1,545,060 times
Kickstarter? For an ISP? Why don't you try traditional sources of investment first, like angel investors and venture capitalists?

Old 04-22-2015, 09:04 AM

366 posts, read 404,152 times
From what I have seen people have an unusually massive heart on in this forum for Chicago and Seattle, almost totally unlike real life and most places in general. I have a feeling it's going to win the poll here just because of that.

Chicago does have the lead in the affordability criteria in your list though, but it's the only one. However, I definitely disagree about affordability having anything to do with being better and especially more fun.

Yes, what things cost does affect your life but some people don't mind paying more for a higher quality of life. That's an arbitrary criteria just like weather, or being cosmopolitan.

To a lot of people, those things just doesn't matter if the quality is higher or better.

Last edited by KaneKane; 04-22-2015 at 09:41 AM..

Old 04-22-2015, 09:50 AM

728 posts, read 973,800 times
NYC. I just don't think CHI has the "IT" factor that NYC does, besides for affordability.

As far as -Fun for young adults ages 20-25 - Plenty of single straight women ages 20-25 - Great public transportation - Good paying jobs (more than $90,000 a year)

It's got to be NYC, with a large gap. Miami and LA might be the only ones that can compete for the Fun for Young adults and amounts of young women as well. As someone in your age range, NYC would be the place to be. However, if you want to start a business and be "Big Fish" per se, than Chicago wins.

Old 04-22-2015, 09:58 AM

366 posts, read 404,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassNative2891 View Post
NYC. I just don't think CHI has the "IT" factor that NYC does, besides for affordability.

As far as -Fun for young adults ages 20-25 - Plenty of single straight women ages 20-25 - Great public transportation - Good paying jobs (more than $90,000 a year)

It's got to be NYC, with a large gap. Miami and LA might be the only ones that can compete for the Fun for Young adults and amounts of young women as well. As someone in your age range, NYC would be the place to be. However, if you want to start a business and be "Big Fish" per se, than Chicago wins.
Depends on what business you are talking about. Small time business? Competition for that is pretty high is Chicago as well.

So many people want to move to cities and start a business.

Old 04-22-2015, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaneKane View Post
Depends on what business you are talking about. Small time business? Competition for that is pretty high is Chicago as well.

So many people want to move to cities and start a business.
The business I want to start is being an Internet Service Provider. The United States has been reported to need more broadband competition.

Old 04-22-2015, 10:58 AM

2,535 posts, read 3,277,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGuyWithNoName View Post
The business I want to start is being an Internet Service Provider. The United States has been reported to need more broadband competition.
If you are LEGITIMATELY interested in Chicago prospects for a internet business? Post the question in the Chicago thread... Most here are just choosing the city with most of everything? So NYC being the World's City surely will win.

Old 04-22-2015, 11:09 AM

2,995 posts, read 3,098,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaneKane View Post
Chicago does have the lead in the affordability criteria in your list though, but it's the only one. However, I definitely disagree about affordability having anything to do with being better and especially more fun.
I agree. There are so many cool things for people of all ages to do for free or little to nothing in New York.

Old 04-22-2015, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentallect View Post
I agree. There are so many cool things for people of all ages to do for free or little to nothing in New York.
New York City is EXTREMELY expensive, the basic necessities cost a lot more than other places. Is a higher cost of living worth living there? Yes. But it also has to be financially possible.

Old 04-22-2015, 01:37 PM

3,278 posts, read 5,385,334 times
I gotta say Chicago. NY is just too big and crowded to actually live IN. Most people live outside and commute in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City