U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Scottsdale or Austin (for less traffic, better nightlife)
Scottsdale, AZ 21 48.84%
Austin, TX 22 51.16%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-23-2015, 10:55 AM

1,333 posts, read 1,152,469 times

Advertisements

I have been to both cities and have an IT background, so I am well versed in your situation.

Anyone who thinks Scottsdale has bad traffic has never been to Austin.... there is no comparison.

Austin has one freeway system that is unable to handle growth. Scottsdale has a few slow areas around freeway interchanges, but as far as gridlock its nothing. Go on Google maps around 5:30 local time for each area, it has live traffic and is fairly accurate.

The emerging tech scene in Arizona appears to be more so in Chandler than in Scottsdale, although Scottsdale holds it own and has a lot of startups and established companies.

Employees will be different. Austin has too many hipsters and is full of people that got IT degrees in their old cities and couldn't find jobs and were told to go to Austin. Scottsdale\Chandler has a lot of middle eastern and Indian IT workers, many who were brought over and started at Intel, but they also have the Austin types as well.

IT Employees in Austin tend to command more money, for some reason they all want six figures and think they are worth a lot more then they actually are. Overall, not shortage of qualified people in either location.

I know I am going to get a lot of flack for this, but I though Austins night life was overrated. It was a little one dimensional because all the places had the same kind of vibe. In the Phoenix area, if you are in your twenties you go to Tempe (which borders Scottsdale). Once you hit about 27-28 it seems you go to Scottsdale. Austins night life is more comparable to Tempe because it centers around the college crowd.

Beyond bars, I think the Phoenix are offers more. Theres an abundance of lakes, hiking trails, vegas and CA are a very short drive.

Overall though, you can't go wrong with either city. Both are great markets for tech startups!
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2015, 04:58 PM

430 posts, read 642,652 times
Thank you ajonesaz, very helpful info! I think my mind is made up on Scottsdale or possibly Chandler. Now I just have to put in the work to get there.

Old 04-23-2015, 07:01 PM

1,047 posts, read 994,291 times
Austen's traffic may be horrific. Scottsdales is bad, perhaps the lesser of 2 evils but bad. People saying otherwise are either lying to you or ignorant. The 101 gridlocks at rush hours the whole length of Scottsdale and some (from Chandler on to the 17. Almost every road becomes a parking lot. Hayden, Scottsdale Rd, McKellips, McDowell, Thomas, Indian school, chaparral, Indian bend, via de Ventura, Shea, cactus, tbird, frank Lloyd wright. Almost every MAJOR road.

Old 04-24-2015, 02:12 PM

1,567 posts, read 1,306,664 times
Lol Austin vs scottadale. Can't be serious.

Old 04-24-2015, 02:45 PM

556 posts, read 578,765 times
Scottsdale has traffic? I havent seen it yet. Nothing compared to Chicago.

Old 05-01-2015, 09:40 AM

93 posts, read 64,680 times
You should go with south Scottsdale it is less traffic then north. And the airport & Tempe are closer. They even built a new skysong ASU with lovely new apartments. I would go south Scottsdale and most likely it would be cheaper taxes etc. Easy drive to North Scottsdale as well as Tempe both 30 age group. Driving in Scottsdale is straight roads,(unless you go out in the mountains)...where in Austin you get winding roads..both have traffic I would not go by the traffic so much as to the location. JIMHO

Old 05-01-2015, 10:36 AM

5,602 posts, read 3,464,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SK115 View Post
Through my eyes, Scottsdale (and really most of the Phoenix metro) seemed so unnecessarily pretentious. It just seemed like a typical upscale American suburb, except that the people there thought of it as some world class destination. It was so generic and boring, with everything being some shade of brown or beige.
Scottsdale is a world class destination. Do you know how many people vacation here for the hiking, spas, world class resorts, hot air balloon rides, desert off-road tours, art galleries, and world class golf courses? Scottsdale is a HUGE draw for tourists from all over the world.

Old 05-01-2015, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcajones View Post
Austen's traffic may be horrific. Scottsdales is bad, perhaps the lesser of 2 evils but bad. People saying otherwise are either lying to you or ignorant. The 101 gridlocks at rush hours the whole length of Scottsdale and some (from Chandler on to the 17. Almost every road becomes a parking lot. Hayden, Scottsdale Rd, McKellips, McDowell, Thomas, Indian school, chaparral, Indian bend, via de Ventura, Shea, cactus, tbird, frank Lloyd wright. Almost every MAJOR road.
Scottsdales traffic isnt that bad, dude. I travel ALL of those roads during rush hour, and its not as bad as you make it out to be. Of all the roads you listed, the worst is Shea, but only really heading westbound between 64th St and Tatum. After that spot it clears up nicely. Eastbound in that section is not congested at all. Thats just a small stretch. Scottsdale Road is congested, but mainly due to all the lights. The only area I would consider bad on Scottsdale Rd is near Old Town, but they give you those nifty bypass routes around the congestion. Hayden isnt bad, especially from Indian School north. Thomas isnt bad. Chaparral isnt bad. Indian Bend is a breeze, except for a tiny bit of congestion right off the 101 near the Pavilions. Thunderbird isnt bad, neither is Cactus. Not sure what youre talking about here, man.

Old 05-01-2015, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petroglyphin View Post
Scottsdale has traffic? I havent seen it yet. Nothing compared to Chicago.
Yeah, these people have NO clue how bad it is elsewhere. I lived in Naperville, IL, which is half the size of Scottsdale, yet it had far worse traffic. We have it pretty good in Scottsdale, all things considered. Chicago's traffic is much, much, much worse than anything Ive seen in the Valley.

Old 05-01-2015, 02:50 PM

312 posts, read 339,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
Scottsdale is a world class destination. Do you know how many people vacation here for the hiking, spas, world class resorts, hot air balloon rides, desert off-road tours, art galleries, and world class golf courses? Scottsdale is a HUGE draw for tourists from all over the world.
I disagree about Scottsdale being world class. Maybe it seems world class if you're coming from the rust belt...

I won't deny that there are some lovely resorts, but if you live there, you don't get to experience them the same way that the tourists do.

If your an avid golfer, then I'm sure Scottsdale is one of the top destinations. But not everyone golfs.

As for art galleries, spas, and hot air balloons, those are a dime a dozen in most cities.

Don't get me wrong, it's not the worst place in the world. It's just not a world class city in my eyes. It's an upper-middle class American suburb, with chain restaurants, big box stores, and some nice houses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City