U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Scottsdale or Austin (for less traffic, better nightlife)
Scottsdale, AZ 21 48.84%
Austin, TX 22 51.16%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-04-2015, 07:22 PM

5,361 posts, read 7,050,845 times

Advertisements

That term "progressive" is used so loosely here on CD. In any case, nice rant: Austin, Texas: Not Weird, Just Mediocre | American Vagabond

Another funny: Reasons Why Austin Is the Worst Place Ever | VICE | United States
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2015, 09:06 PM

1,307 posts, read 2,065,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post
That term "progressive" is used so loosely here on CD. In any case, nice rant: Austin, Texas: Not Weird, Just Mediocre | American Vagabond

Another funny: Reasons Why Austin Is the Worst Place Ever | VICE | United States
Someone does not understand satire. Any halfwit can play this game:

Reasons Why Phoenix Is the Worst Place Ever | VICE | United States

I put Phoenix because Scottsdale is too insignificant to get its own vice.com page.

I stand by what I wrote earlier. For the OP's criteria, if he is still reading, Scottsdale will be better for traffic and for proximity to winter outdoor recreation. For everything else, Austin by a VERY long way! It is not really a fair fight: a suburb of 250 000 against a city more than three times the size.

And for nightlife and a tech scene, even though the Austin MSA is half the size of the Phoenix MSA, in those two arenas, it is significantly superior.

Old 05-04-2015, 11:41 PM

1,184 posts, read 2,424,439 times
OP, for techies, imo Austin will draw more. Honestly, I myself prob prefer Phoenix/Scottsdale more than Austin, but for many, it's a tough sell as one earlier said. It's not the case to a certain degree but many view Scottsdale as a place that has 100+ degree temps,desert mountain landscape with not too much to do. Austin, they see it as the only cool place in Texas to live in with music, bbq and bars. Thats a very general assumption but I feel that's what comes to mind to many people.

Old 05-05-2015, 07:47 AM

5,361 posts, read 7,050,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homeinatx View Post
Someone does not understand satire. Any halfwit can play this game:

Reasons Why Phoenix Is the Worst Place Ever | VICE | United States

I put Phoenix because Scottsdale is too insignificant to get its own vice.com page.

I stand by what I wrote earlier. For the OP's criteria, if he is still reading, Scottsdale will be better for traffic and for proximity to winter outdoor recreation. For everything else, Austin by a VERY long way! It is not really a fair fight: a suburb of 250 000 against a city more than three times the size.

And for nightlife and a tech scene, even though the Austin MSA is half the size of the Phoenix MSA, in those two arenas, it is significantly superior.
Oh, lighten up; however, I do not take too kindly to being called a halfwit. In any case, as a former Austin resident, I can surely admit that Austin used to feel very cutting edge, but today that all seems quite manufactured. Sadly, that has driven many former Austinites to leave the area with only memories of its glory days. Although to be fair, this can happen in many cities.

Perhaps almost everyone has fond memories of a place they used to live. Among other things, I have very fond memories myself of Austin as it was the first place I felt comfortable being able to walk (down 6th Street and night) holding hands with my first boyfriend. Everybody talks about how Austin's live music scene is so great, but it used to be home to some pretty great dance clubs. As a dance music lover, I remember when DJ Mel was just a youngster spinning at clubs in Killeen and then Austin and I would have him make me some mix tapes of his house/trance/techno - he has since gone on to great things like spinning at Obama's inaugural ball. I remember partying the night away at Curfew/Mirage, Lizard Lounge/Numbers/404 and Backstreet/Basics/Ohms on 7th Street until the early morning hours and then visiting Sound Exchange and Waterloo Records to find all of that great imported dance music on vinyl that was difficult to find almost anywhere else. Now, the clubs just seem so-so with the same quality that can be found anywhere else. I also remember when San Franciscans brought the very first raves (warehouse) to Austin (not that I would ever do one now). However, to be fair, all cities change in some ways for the better and some for the worse. I remember the days when Markus Schulz was resident DJ at The World in Scottsdale, and now he is a world-renowned DJ. While Scottsdale still has some great clubs, I personally do not frequent Old Town regularly.

Found this online and really liked it as I can poke fun at myself: "How many Austinites does it take to change a light bulb? Just one, but 25 to talk about how great the old light bulb was." Technically the old light bulb was not broken and did not need to be replaced.

I'll admit that Austin certainly has a lot of great things going for it. While I periodically pop back in to check out the city, the energy and creativity of the city just doesn't feel like it used to (naturally as things change). I remember just a few years ago going back to visit as that very first boyfriend of mine (we had remained friends through the years) had drowned months prior. I walked throughout the city and just felt a wave of sadness as much of what I truly enjoyed about Austin that I felt made it unique was no longer. That's expected though as things and people change over time.

Last edited by AZLiam; 05-05-2015 at 08:36 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City