Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2015, 09:20 AM

1,699 posts, read 2,151,925 times

Advertisements

260k a year to live and start a family is small, and the best growth is maybe in Houston. I have no idea tbh, ultimately end up where the best growth is. However, as a rule of thumb, get the highest paycheck first and demand more later. Even if you transfer to Houston, you will transfer with 260k instead of 220k. You might get even more. 1-2 years won't kill you. If you go to Houston now, you will get 220k, and be stuck getting raises from that. So if they give you a "good" raise, in Houston, that's 240k at most. Eh.

Now 260k will be eaten up by taxes in NYC, you will pay more federal income tax, then have to pay state and possible city taxes. So that's without COL. I suggest you buy a property in NYC though instead of rent, and when you relocate to Houston, you can rent out this apartment to pay its mortgage and flip it later or even keep it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2015, 10:43 AM

1,098 posts, read 1,546,038 times
Just remember, though.

NYC smells like ****.

Old 04-24-2015, 12:03 PM

25 posts, read 35,156 times
I would pick NYC. How is this a serious question?
I would pick it even if my salary was half of that lol

Old 04-24-2015, 12:08 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,467,718 times
260k is not much in NYC lol.. thats the dumbest thing I ever heard of here.. 260k is as much as most Doctors make and more than 75 percent of lawyers and 90 percent of most businessman. I love stupid people.

Old 04-24-2015, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDPMiami View Post
260k a year to live and start a family is small, and the best growth is maybe in Houston. I have no idea tbh, ultimately end up where the best growth is. However, as a rule of thumb, get the highest paycheck first and demand more later. Even if you transfer to Houston, you will transfer with 260k instead of 220k. You might get even more. 1-2 years won't kill you. If you go to Houston now, you will get 220k, and be stuck getting raises from that. So if they give you a "good" raise, in Houston, that's 240k at most. Eh.

Now 260k will be eaten up by taxes in NYC, you will pay more federal income tax, then have to pay state and possible city taxes. So that's without COL. I suggest you buy a property in NYC though instead of rent, and when you relocate to Houston, you can rent out this apartment to pay its mortgage and flip it later or even keep it.
Ways you can get around taxes but most Americans have no clue about it.

Old 04-24-2015, 12:57 PM

3 posts, read 5,568 times
I thank you all for different inputs. I appreciate it.

I'm a very simple guy who don't have a lot of expenses except for the obvious ones (electricity, spotify, gym membership++). I have been talking with several friends about taxation in the two cities and the majority of them tell me that the extra 40k will be eaten up pretty fast in NYC.

I will bring between 110k and 130k ($) with me depending on how much i will get for my car before moving in late July. To be honest, i would like to buy my first home because with an older brother who works in finance, he have learned me how much money you lose by renting, even for small periods compared to buying.

1. Do you think it would be possible to buy in either NYC or Houston?

2. Will i manage fine as a 6'4 white norwegian? I always read on Fox, CNN, ABC, norwegian media++, that there is always some kind of racial tension in the states. This is one aspect of the american society that i'll never get. It's kind of heartbreaking to read about cases like Trayvon Martin, Ferguson unrest, O.J Simpsons and whatnot. I have visited USA 3 times in the past and it went well, but i'd imagine that it is different to actually live there as opposed to be on vacation, see amazing nature and museums, shop and eat.

3. As for politics and religious beliefs, is there something in particular that i should prepare myself for?

Again, thanks for all the helpful replies and sorry for my broken english.

Old 04-24-2015, 12:59 PM

282 posts, read 350,727 times
lol

Old 04-24-2015, 01:09 PM

3 posts, read 5,568 times
Sorry if my questions seems silly.

Old 04-24-2015, 01:11 PM

8,632 posts, read 12,996,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan NOR View Post

I'm a very simple guy who don't have a lot of expenses except for the obvious ones (electricity, spotify, gym membership++). I have been talking with several friends about taxation in the two cities and the majority of them tell me that the extra 40k will be eaten up pretty fast in NYC.

I will bring between 110k and 130k ($) with me depending on how much i will get for my car before moving in late July. To be honest, i would like to buy my first home because with an older brother who works in finance, he have learned me how much money you lose by renting, even for small periods compared to buying.

2. Will i manage fine as a 6'4 white norwegian? I always read on Fox, CNN, ABC, norwegian media++, that there is always some kind of racial tension in the states. This is one aspect of the american society that i'll never get. It's kind of heartbreaking to read about cases like Trayvon Martin, Ferguson unrest, O.J Simpsons and whatnot. I have visited USA 3 times in the past and it went well, but i'd imagine that it is different to actually live there as opposed to be on vacation, see amazing nature and museums, shop and eat.

3. As for politics and religious beliefs, is there something in particular that i should prepare myself for?

Houston is certainly the cheaper city but you won't get all the big city amenities like you would in a city like NYC. So in a way, you get what you pay for.

Old 04-24-2015, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan NOR View Post

You will be fine and yes we have a lot of crazy stupid people living in the States but you seem sensible you will excel here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City