U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2015, 04:41 PM

13,403 posts, read 20,346,176 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_curious_urbanist View Post
Philadelphia offers more than Houston can daydream about. Philly has more cultural institutions per capita than any other city. Plus, for the OP, living in New York gives you the chance to see Philly as it's 2 hrs. away and a cheap bus ticket will do.
Uneducated. He's right. Other than Philly being more urban and proximity to NYC and DC, Houston has everything and then some.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2015, 06:16 PM

18,254 posts, read 25,980,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
Isn't a city basically an urban environment?

Also stop hating on Philly. It has always been among the top 5 largest cities since the beginning of US history. As far as city population is concerned, what Houston has done, Philly did already. The city had over 2 million when Houston was just a small Texas city back in 1950.
Nobody is hating on Philly. You're the one going around saying Houston doesn't have as much to offer as Philly. Other than an urban environment, these two cities when it comes to amenities are very close. So stop acting like Houston is Mobile on the gulf.

Old 04-25-2015, 06:37 PM

8,386 posts, read 9,981,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Nobody is hating on Philly. You're the one going around saying Houston doesn't have as much to offer as Philly. Other than an urban environment, these two cities when it comes to amenities are very close. So stop acting like Houston is Mobile on the gulf.
Yet you and a few of the other posters keep bring up Philly..

My original post was not about "Houston vs Philly", it was a quick comment on Houston being compared to NYC and the other large cities until some of you wanted to make it about Philly.

Any person who thinks Houston can offer the same level of amenities that NYC can offer is delusional. You talk as if an urban environment and city don't go hand and hand. A city is basically an urban environment. Why do some of you Houston posters get so upset when someone says something that doesn't show Houston in a positive light? Not everyone has to like your city or think highly of it.

Last edited by gwillyfromphilly; 04-25-2015 at 06:47 PM..

Old 04-25-2015, 07:52 PM

6,846 posts, read 12,423,528 times
Quote:

My original post was not about "Houston vs Philly", it was a quick comment on Houston being compared to NYC and the other large cities until some of you wanted to make it about Philly.

Any person who thinks Houston can offer the same level of amenities that NYC can offer is delusional. You talk as if an urban environment and city don't go hand and hand. A city is basically an urban environment. Why do some of you Houston posters get so upset when someone says something that doesn't show Houston in a positive light? Not everyone has to like your city or think highly of it.
What does this thread have to do with Philly?

Also no one is saying Houston has as many amenities as NYC. You keep telling us it doesn't when no one even said it did to begin with.

Also Houston posters don't care about people saying negative things about Houston. We see those negative things everyday. What we don't like is false statements about the city. I don't think anyone likes for their city to be trashed.

I'm sure there are plenty of threads on here about Philly. Why did this have to become a Philly thread? Screams of attention seeking.

Old 04-25-2015, 07:58 PM

Quote:

Nobody brought up Philly but yourself. You said Houston doesn't have as much to offer as NYC (nobody from Houston would disagree), LA (again, nobody would disagree), or Chicago (once again, nobody would disagree). You said Philly and that's where there was a simple disagreement.

Old 04-25-2015, 08:07 PM

1,795 posts, read 2,446,565 times
You Philadelphians need to stop hating on Houston. Don't be jealous because we passed you in population.

Old 04-25-2015, 08:31 PM

5,485 posts, read 5,809,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan NOR View Post
I'm a 29 year old Norwegian male who has received two job offers from the same energy company in the states. I'm honestly indifferent to which offer i should accept so i am looking for some guidance and information about the two states and cities. There are a couple of things that concern me though.

1. My base salary in NYC will be 260k$ which is 40k more then in Houston. I'm aware that NYC is more expensive but to such an extent? 40k is a lot to me especially since i'm going to establish myself in a new country. Which city do you think i should choose? What would you choose in my place?

2. Which state/city is the most outgoing and down to earth (if that makes sense)? I want to be surrounded with non-elitist people and people that are generally nice (idealist i know, and i i'm aware that all types of people probably exsist in both states/cities).

3. Which state/city do you personally think will be more entertaining, fun (things to do)? How is the gun culture? The whole firearm thing will be completely new for me, should i be concerned? Is there a big chance of getting shot? How is crime in general?

I'll have serveral appointments with the US embassy in the comming weeks and i'm really looking forward to it.

I really appreciate any respons/help.
Oh wow. Another 1%er joining the ranks. I guess I should be gushing over him like everyone else but I guess I feel like someone who makes that kind of money should at the very least be paying someone to deal with relocation issues. But the USA (and this forum in particular) has a notoriously morbid fascination with wealth so not surprised.

Just move to Manhattan bruh. You will fit right in.

Old 04-25-2015, 08:57 PM

1,567 posts, read 1,315,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoninATX View Post
You Philadelphians need to stop hating on Houston. Don't be jealous because we passed you in population.
That to. Plus philly women love them some Texas boys especially in the black community.

Old 04-25-2015, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfoe View Post
That to. Plus philly women love them some Texas boys especially in the black community.
This doesn't help.

Old 04-25-2015, 09:13 PM

41 posts, read 45,908 times
He said he's a pretty simple person..

What is so much better about New York for a simple person? Woman are better looking in Texas, no crappy winter for 7 months, overpriced real estate, rude people who only care about materlistic things and their status to others, filth, high crime, and such. See we all see things differently. In Houston you get .. All the big city amenities (and I doubt someone making 260k a year is taking a train or bus to work) all the big city amenities, nice weather, a short commute to a very European city in New Orleans, low cost of living, beautiful women, diverse city and an excellent area for your career. People who said race issues are bad in the south? Really? I moved from Chicago to Texas and it's completely opposite. In the north areas are way more segregated- all the serious issues recently come in north areas (st. Louis, Chicago, New York, and Baltimore). But hey.. Whatever floats your boat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or