U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2015, 07:08 PM

3 posts, read 3,521 times

Advertisements

I'm a 29 year old Norwegian male who has received two job offers from the same energy company in the states. I'm honestly indifferent to which offer i should accept so i am looking for some guidance and information about the two states and cities. There are a couple of things that concern me though.

1. My base salary in NYC will be 260k$ which is 40k more then in Houston. I'm aware that NYC is more expensive but to such an extent? 40k is a lot to me especially since i'm going to establish myself in a new country. Which city do you think i should choose? What would you choose in my place?

2. Which state/city is the most outgoing and down to earth (if that makes sense)? I want to be surrounded with non-elitist people and people that are generally nice (idealist i know, and i i'm aware that all types of people probably exsist in both states/cities).

3. Which state/city do you personally think will be more entertaining, fun (things to do)? How is the gun culture? The whole firearm thing will be completely new for me, should i be concerned? Is there a big chance of getting shot? How is crime in general?

I'll have serveral appointments with the US embassy in the comming weeks and i'm really looking forward to it.

I really appreciate any respons/help.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2015, 07:39 PM

4,155 posts, read 4,294,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan NOR View Post
I'm a 29 year old Norwegian male who has received two job offers from the same energy company in the states. I'm honestly indifferent to which offer i should accept so i am looking for some guidance and information about the two states and cities. There are a couple of things that concern me though.

1. My base salary in NYC will be 260k$ which is 40k more then in Houston. I'm aware that NYC is more expensive but to such an extent? 40k is a lot to me especially since i'm going to establish myself in a new country. Which city do you think i should choose? What would you choose in my place?

2. Which state/city is the most outgoing and down to earth (if that makes sense)? I want to be surrounded with non-elitist people and people that are generally nice (idealist i know, and i i'm aware that all types of people probably exsist in both states/cities).

3. Which state/city do you personally think will be more entertaining, fun (things to do)? How is the gun culture? The whole firearm thing will be completely new for me, should i be concerned? Is there a big chance of getting shot? How is crime in general?

I'll have serveral appointments with the US embassy in the comming weeks and i'm really looking forward to it.

I really appreciate any respons/help.
You're a 29 year old Norwegian male looking at $260k in NYC vs $220 in Houston. Congratulations. If you are going to be single in a new land, NYC might provides a, umm, soft landing place. Your likelihood of getting shot in either city less than 50%, don't sweat it.

Old 04-23-2015, 07:50 PM

2,390 posts, read 2,117,164 times
You will have more than enough money to live a pretty lavish lifestyle in either city. I would think $220k might go further in Houston than $260k in New York, but I wouldn't let that be the deal breaker because the amount of money you save will probably be similar in both cities.

Not really sure I understand the outgoing/down to earth question. Both are global cities full of all types of people. New York is the larger more globalized of the two, but Houston is also huge. I'd say Houston lacks some of the culture and character of New York, but it still provides virtually every luxury a big city can possibly provide. Again, New York is going to have "more" to do, but Houston is going to have more to do than you could possibly imagine.

Gun culture should not be a concern for you at all. You won't get shot. Both of these are huge cities where crime is localized. On your income, you can live in very safe neighborhoods in either city.

One of the biggest differences in the cities is climate. Being from Norway, you would probably be more used to New York's. Houston very rarely gets snow and its summers can be oppressively hot with temperatures routinely topping 36-38 C. It is also one of the most humid cities in the country compounding the heat. New York does get a few steambaths each summer, but not a run of 98 out of 100 days of 35 C weather like you might see in Houston.

Also, Houston does have a vibrant downtown, but it is not like Manhattan. Houston is a very sprawling city with lots of suburbs, yards, strip malls, etc. New York City has these as well, but I imagine you would be living in Manhattan.

All in all, I think you would be happier in New York City.

Old 04-23-2015, 08:06 PM

11,626 posts, read 17,035,814 times
OP...your money will go much further in Houston...however, 220k in NYC is also very good money. You are single, no kids and looking for a fun entertaining city; NYC is the place to be.

I used to live in Houston, walking distance to Down Town. BORING is all I can say. It doesn't even come remotely close to NYC/ Manhattan. To even compare them is laughable. After 5 o'clock there is nothing. Dead. If you don't mind being depended on a car, maybe Houston will work for you because you would need it to have a life there.

Also, you are from Norway, and I'm from Stockholm. I grew up in a large urban city, and I live in Chicago now. I finally feel like "home" here in Chicago. If you are anything like me Houston will not satisfy you regardless of the money.

Old 04-23-2015, 08:34 PM

1,699 posts, read 1,479,278 times
Go to NYC, you can always go to Houston later and demand more money now that you're on record earning 260K.

Old 04-23-2015, 08:40 PM

31,575 posts, read 53,094,619 times
260K isnt that much in New York imo.

I say go to Houston( a city that isnt NYC but still has a lot to offer) where the industry is concentrated.

Old 04-23-2015, 08:51 PM

1,699 posts, read 1,479,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
260K isnt that much in New York imo.

I say go to Houston( a city that isnt NYC but still has a lot to offer) where the industry is concentrated.
As a rule of thumb, it's always best to get the money now and demand more later. He can always relocate to Houston and get 300K, your raises come between job changes.

Old 04-23-2015, 08:54 PM

1,278 posts, read 1,174,708 times
I'd taken NYC without a second thought.

As for the comment someone made about the weather: I used to know a Norwegian guy living in NYC and he told me he felt that NYC often felt colder than Norway because the wind in the city was so strong and the air always seemed more humid.

Old 04-23-2015, 09:01 PM

282 posts, read 256,977 times
NYC of course.

I live near Houston and Houston is only good if you're on a budget or want to live cheaply. There are hardly any redeemable qualities otherwise. NYC on the other hand is fabulous, exciting, fun, tons of interesting people. You're young, single and make $260k...you've got to be a crazy person to pick Houston over NYC.

NYC is expensive but you could live a perfectly nice life on $260k.

Old 04-23-2015, 10:25 PM

6,795 posts, read 6,588,241 times
260k is a lot of money to be making in a year...that's good money...get yourself a 1 bedroom in Manhattan or Brooklyn and you'll still be doing fine especially since you're single.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or