U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2015, 08:21 PM

183 posts, read 166,971 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post
Australia or Germany for me. In the USA anywhere but Philadelphia lol
Fine. Philadelphia is probably too sophisticated for someone from Kentucky anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2015, 08:44 PM

587 posts, read 619,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_curious_urbanist View Post
Fine. Philadelphia is probably too sophisticated for someone from Kentucky anyway.
Vintage city data reply. If someone doesn't like your city, try to take shots at them.

Why can't people just having differing opinions?

Old 04-24-2015, 08:47 PM

4,925 posts, read 4,597,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_curious_urbanist View Post
I have more money than you will ever see in your lifetime boss. Keep on trolling from your mama's basement.

Old 04-24-2015, 11:36 PM

5,798 posts, read 6,353,175 times
You didnt really give a lot of restrictions, so all three of your choices are actually quite good. Consider that your housing budget would be a bit limited in Chicago and Austin, at least for an SFH in a desirable area. And they both have extreme weather, one in the winter and one in the summer. Ultimately, your wife's job prospects should probably be a large consideration...particularly what school district she might end up in. Also...youre probably quite flexible but if you have to maintain PST office hours you might have to work til around 9p in Atlanta. Something to think about.

As for me personally, I'd probably go with Taipei or Hong Kong. Within the US, it would be NYC, Chicago or Seattle.

Old 04-25-2015, 12:05 AM

1,082 posts, read 1,861,011 times
Cartagena, Miami, or The Bronx.

Old 04-25-2015, 01:55 AM

11,795 posts, read 9,723,809 times
It's not what I would've said 5 or 10 years ago, but at this point in my life I'd probably choose Cleveland. Sounds funny, but it's a city with a lot of history, and in my field (nursing) has one of the most prestigious hospital systems in the country.
I do miss living in the Bay Area, but has changed so much due to COL I don't think I'd even recognize it these days.

Old 04-25-2015, 05:31 AM

19 posts, read 11,107 times
I have this 18 year old dalmatian that needs special care as she has ear infections and recurring urinary tract infections that I can't seem to get under control. She also has bedsores which need special attention and smells pretty bad because she does her business while I am at work which causes friction with my housemates. I don't understand how people get so bent out of shape because of a mere odor really. I think people are just too thin skinned and selfish really. I mean just about everyone, people seem to be becoming raging little ******* about nearly everything anymore and fail to consider others while they accuse some of being inconsiderate over a mere smell.....

When my pooch is gone I will be on my bicycle going where the wind and weather take me. I will be trying to avoid the Bible Belt states though as the zealots are always scheming and conspiring to feed you into their goddamned death cults whether they realize they do this crap or not. I had a wonderful experience in Georgia recently which pointed out to me just what scum these people who believe themselves to be forgiven for whatever they do actually are.

If it were within my grasp I would go to another world because this one has been completely ruined by religious ignorance and capitalist greed and exploitation.

There is no good place to raise your kids in this world. You just have to do what you can do and accept that you can only control so much of what happens to them.

Don't worry so much, it makes you old.

Old 04-25-2015, 05:38 AM

1,291 posts, read 1,118,775 times
A small medieval village in the eastern part of France somewhere ... either by the Belgium or Italy.

Old 04-25-2015, 05:46 AM

2,062 posts, read 2,834,358 times
I'm really happy in the Atlanta metro, but someday I see myself moving back to South Florida. I still own a condo down there, and will probably move back in 10 to 15 years or so. Not really tied down but I enjoy being close to mom in the twilight years of her life.

Old 04-25-2015, 07:59 AM

1,809 posts, read 2,895,825 times
I have the ability to live anywhere and I have thought a lot about this. I'm younger than an average snowbird but I've been thinking of doing the snowbird thing. My top summer places (May 15-Oct 15) would be Pacific NW, VT, NH or MA Coast.

Finding a good warm weather place is much tougher, there are a ton of great places to live in the U.S. from May 15-Oct 15, but not as many nice warm areas IMO. I already lived in San Diego for 7 years and was not a big fan of SoCal. Plus it is really not truly warm in SD in the winter, it's mild. I tried to find a place in FL I liked, drove around the state for a week but found no city that appealed to me. Not a fan of Scottsdale/Phx either. I like Savannah GA area and Charleston SC a lot, but they are not really warm in winter, great springs and late falls, but too cool in winter. Hawaii might be an option but it's kind of isolated and touristy, I was not a fan of Honolulu, like the outer islands more but I might get bored. Much of Latin American is too crime and poverty ridden, but Chile, Argentina, Southern Brazil, parts of Panama might work not sure. Australia might work well since their summer is our winter, I have to look into that option, but very expensive I hear and VERY far. I haven't been to Singapore yet, might be too hot. I haven't been to Puerto Rico in a long time, might be an option, but lots of crime.

I might end up just going with St. Pete FL in winter just for the weather even though I'm not too crazy about FL. So it would be St. Pete winter and Seattle or New England in summers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or