U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-25-2015, 05:34 PM
Status: "Ready for Fall" (set 20 days ago)
 
Location: Atlanta
4,644 posts, read 3,012,162 times
Reputation: 3857

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_curious_urbanist View Post
Fine. Philadelphia is probably too sophisticated for someone from Kentucky anyway.
Keep telling yourself this the next time you go to RTM for some scrapple.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-27-2015, 10:51 AM
 
400 posts, read 345,812 times
Reputation: 126
I probably would move to either Italy or Brazil. If it was in the states, I always thought Hawaii seems appealing but I've heard it's crazy expensive there compared to the mainland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-27-2015, 03:49 PM
 
Location: The Springs
1,765 posts, read 1,977,700 times
Reputation: 1821
My wife and I were just talking about this last night. If we were to stay in the US, and money was no object - Monterey, CA area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-27-2015, 06:51 PM
 
Location: Alameda, CA
43 posts, read 36,953 times
Reputation: 45
London, Paris or Nice, France.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-27-2015, 07:20 PM
 
Location: Miami Beach, FL/Tokyo, Japan
1,699 posts, read 1,479,278 times
Reputation: 699
I'm not tied down as it is and I picked Miami Beach as my base. It's actually works out that I'm not necessarily there very often, but when I come back from one of my long stints in Asia or Europe, and I come to my house, warm breezes blowing through my rooms, going outside in south beach and being able to walk anywhere, or just going to a beautiful beach. I realize that this place is heaven on earth compared to many other places I could live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-27-2015, 07:46 PM
 
Location: Chicago, IL
200 posts, read 238,077 times
Reputation: 228
Probably Taipei. It has the Chinese culture and food that I love, but without communism.
Furthermore, the city is small enough so that one isn't overwhelmed by it, but large enough so that there are constantly things to see and do, like shopping in Ximending, the "Harajuku of Taipei". I also love the night markets there- there really isn't any equivalent in the US.

In America, I'd like to live in San Francisco, LA, or anywhere with good Asian food

Last edited by garyjohnyang; 04-27-2015 at 07:54 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-27-2015, 09:25 PM
 
Location: Miami-Jax
5,787 posts, read 6,339,183 times
Reputation: 3118
Quote:
Originally Posted by garyjohnyang View Post
Probably Taipei. It has the Chinese culture and food that I love, but without communism.
Furthermore, the city is small enough so that one isn't overwhelmed by it, but large enough so that there are constantly things to see and do, like shopping in Ximending, the "Harajuku of Taipei". I also love the night markets there- there really isn't any equivalent in the US.

In America, I'd like to live in San Francisco, LA, or anywhere with good Asian food
haha, I like your thinking. I'm pretty much the same way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-27-2015, 09:36 PM
 
Location: Near L.A.
4,114 posts, read 8,898,310 times
Reputation: 3297
Where would I live...

Back to:
- Los Angeles
- Orange County, CA
- Bay Area (sans San Francisco...ugh!)
- Western Europe (lived in the Netherlands, but open to it or other nations)

Or...
- Ventura County
- California's Central Coast
- True Northern California (from just north of the Bay Area to the Oregon border)
- Southwest British Columbia (Vancouver, Victoria)
- Greater New York City
- Key West
- Houston
- Greenville/Spartanburg (maybe)
- Savannah/Charleston/Hilton Head area (maybe)
- Chicago (the frigid winters might be an issue, however)
- Select Eastern European cities (e.g., Prague, Budapest, Krakow, Bratislava)
- Major cities of East Asia (e.g., Tokyo, Seoul, Beijing, Bangkok, Hong Kong, Singapore, Taipei)

I'm quite satisfied in California for now and think it's fantastic--except for San Diego, where I am for the moment. Just isn't for me. But thankfully California's freakin' huge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-28-2015, 12:22 AM
 
Location: Dallas
282 posts, read 256,977 times
Reputation: 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDPMiami View Post
I'm not tied down as it is and I picked Miami Beach as my base. It's actually works out that I'm not necessarily there very often, but when I come back from one of my long stints in Asia or Europe, and I come to my house, warm breezes blowing through my rooms, going outside in south beach and being able to walk anywhere, or just going to a beautiful beach. I realize that this place is heaven on earth compared to many other places I could live.
Why would you settle for Miami Beach when you could live more gloriously in the South of France? Money issues?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-28-2015, 02:03 AM
 
400 posts, read 345,812 times
Reputation: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by UAE50 View Post
Why would you settle for Miami Beach when you could live more gloriously in the South of France? Money issues?
Miami Beach nightlife is pretty legendary amongst East Coasters... I would choose that over South of France then again I'm in my 20s.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top