U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Living in Los Angeles, California VS Chicago, Illinois VS New York City, New York?
Los Angeles. California 40 33.33%
Chicago, Illinois 47 39.17%
New York City, New York 33 27.50%
Voters: 120. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-26-2015, 10:44 AM

366 posts, read 273,806 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGuyWithNoName View Post
Is it true that most women in New York City, New York are masculine?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandalorian View Post
I'd probably pick LA. NYC is just too built up and crowded.

Chicago and LA are a bit more spread out.

As far as the women thing goes, NYC area native women tend to be either aggressive/masculine or finicky Jewish-American Princesses. (Not being racist).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Bones View Post
You seriously created another thread for this question?
I'm starting to wonder if this Mandalorian guy and the OP are the same dude with muliti accounts only in here to post idiotic drivel. The similarities in their posts in both threads are quite alike. If not they are both for some reason butthurt about NYC and are setting each other up to troll.

But there is clearly an agenda here.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2015, 01:11 PM

35 posts, read 43,602 times
[quote=TheGuyWithNoName;39361046]Based on:

Affordability
1.L.A.
2.Chicago
3.Nyc
Fun for young adults ages 18-25
This is an opinion, not a fact. But for me L.A.
A lot of straight single women
No way in telling but,
1. Probably NY and / or LA
2Chicago
Good public transportation (good enough to be primary transportation)
1.Ny
2.Chicago
3.L.A.

Good city to start a business would be great. Specifically, an ISP, although it's likely I'll change my mind about what I want to do a lot.[/quote

1.L.A.
2.NY
3.Chicago

I would rather live in L.A. then Chicago, but. Would never live in ny for a long time, too expensive dirty and overcrowded for me.
Los Angeles for me. Fun not as crowded and expensive and i have had the best times there.
Gotta go with the West Coast..

Old 04-26-2015, 01:25 PM

5 posts, read 27,094 times
Chicago is the smallest of the three in terms of population, and generally has a more American approach to life, and less of that pop-cultural mantra. Not that that's all bad. Architecturally, it's on par with NYC and feels far bigger than it actually is.

NYC is by far the largest, so people are generally more independent and money isn't going to come all that easy. Meeting people won't be hard, but again, it's so massive the idea of "settling down" is less of a prospect than it is in Chicago. But keep in mind, that's a price to pay for how fantastic NYC is and the experience it offers. Of course to add to that, the cultural element.

LA is a different entity and is closer to its analogous cities, i.e. San Fran, Sacramento, San Diego, etc. While it is way larger, the vibe is very different from NYC and Chicago.

If you're looking for a city that feels like NYC but is more affordable and livable, I'd say Chicago. Now, it's not nearly as hustle-bustle, but you're inarguably getting accommodations that are hard to come by in NY.

(love both cities though!)

Old 04-26-2015, 01:35 PM

9,701 posts, read 6,666,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitelimits View Post
If you're looking for a city that feels like NYC but is more affordable and livable, I'd say Chicago. Now, it's not nearly as hustle-bustle, but you're inarguably getting accommodations that are hard to come by in NY.
NYC doesn't look or feel anything like Chicago. LA doesn't look like either city either, though I would say the people in LA are more similar to the people in NYC than in Chicago.

Old 04-26-2015, 01:50 PM

3,280 posts, read 3,542,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaneKane View Post
I'm starting to wonder if this Mandalorian guy and the OP are the same dude with muliti accounts only in here to post idiotic drivel. The similarities in their posts in both threads are quite alike. If not they are both for some reason butthurt about NYC and are setting each other up to troll.

I'm just here to troll my drivel.

That actually sounds cool, kind of like a rap album. "Troll my drivel". I like it.

Old 04-26-2015, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
NYC doesn't look or feel anything like Chicago. LA doesn't look like either city either, though I would say the people in LA are more similar to the people in NYC than in Chicago.
Wrong. I said it's not nearly as hustle-bustle. Parts of Chicago and Northern Chicago are reminiscent of bits of NYC, mainly the large scale of buildings and weather. Chicago architecture is very distinct from NYC, and spread out a bit more. Both cities however, share certain characteristics regarding building height and amount of skyscrapers compared to other cities in the U.S. This is undeniable.

NYC is it's own and is not on a level Chicago or LA are operating on. No other city in America quite matches the "feel" of New York. That's what I said in my original post. But Chicago has to be a close second aesthetically and I stand by that statement. They are both very distinct cities and shouldn't really be generalized but comparatively speaking I'm making connections in this regard.

Same with people; you're going to get all types of everything regardless of where you are. I've met some incredibly helpful people in all three cities, and some rude ones as well.

Old 04-26-2015, 03:24 PM

35 posts, read 43,602 times
Quote:
Wrong. I said it's not nearly as hustle-bustle. Parts of Chicago and Northern Chicago are reminiscent of bits of NYC, mainly the large scale of buildings and weather. Chicago architecture is very distinct from NYC, and spread out a bit more. Both cities however, share certain characteristics regarding building height and amount of skyscrapers compared to other cities in the U.S. This is undeniable.

NYC is it's own and is not on a level Chicago or LA are operating on. No other city in America quite matches the "feel" of New York. That's what I said in my original post. But Chicago has to be a close second aesthetically and I stand by that statement. They are both very distinct cities and shouldn't really be generalized but comparatively speaking I'm making connections in this regard.

Same with people; you're going to get all types of everything regardless of where you are. I've met some incredibly helpful people in all three cities, and some rude ones as well.

All three cities are very different .. one is on the West Coast , one is in the midwest, and one is on the east coast.... almost nothing alike...

Old 04-26-2015, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zizilicious View Post
All three cities are very different .. one is on the West Coast , one is in the midwest, and one is on the east coast.... almost nothing alike...
That's EXACTLY what I am saying yet people still don't get it! The level of ignorance here is astounding.

The only things that make Chicago and NYC similar are their SIZE. That's ALL I am saying. Did I say Chicago was New York? Excuse me, I didn't. I QUOTE myself:

"NYC is it's own and is not on a level Chicago or LA are operating on. No other city in America quite matches the "feel" of New York. That's what I said in my original post."

I merely said that they are similar in terms of being BIG CITIES with LOTS OF BUILDINGS. I am not going to continue to regurgitate the same things people are going against me for saying! It's like "I'll disagree with you because you have the same opinion as me". That makes no sense.

They are different cities. I have been to all three more than five times each. Opinions are opinions, nobody's opinions are fact. I am allowed to make a comparison as that is what the OP is ASKING for. Am I saying it's right and forcing it on people? No. I'm just telling the OP my personal experiences!

That's it! The rest you can decide for yourself!

Last edited by infinitelimits; 04-26-2015 at 04:03 PM..

Old 04-26-2015, 10:10 PM

90 posts, read 112,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaneKane View Post

I am not Mandalorian. I asked if women in NYC are masculine BECAUSE of his comment, plus I read it somewhere online.

Old 04-26-2015, 10:19 PM

90 posts, read 112,346 times
Quote:
That's EXACTLY what I am saying yet people still don't get it! The level of ignorance here is astounding.

The only things that make Chicago and NYC similar are their SIZE. That's ALL I am saying. Did I say Chicago was New York? Excuse me, I didn't. I QUOTE myself:

"NYC is it's own and is not on a level Chicago or LA are operating on. No other city in America quite matches the "feel" of New York. That's what I said in my original post."

I merely said that they are similar in terms of being BIG CITIES with LOTS OF BUILDINGS. I am not going to continue to regurgitate the same things people are going against me for saying! It's like "I'll disagree with you because you have the same opinion as me". That makes no sense.

They are different cities. I have been to all three more than five times each. Opinions are opinions, nobody's opinions are fact. I am allowed to make a comparison as that is what the OP is ASKING for. Am I saying it's right and forcing it on people? No. I'm just telling the OP my personal experiences!

That's it! The rest you can decide for yourself!
You've been to all 3 cities more than 5 times each?! DAMN, are you rich! I've only been to rural New York twice, and I was too young too remember much, other than that I've never gotten to visit another state, I've pretty much never gotten to experience life outside of the small town/rural place I was born in and still live in. I live in one of the 50 states, only hints, it's not Hawaii, California, Illinois, New York, or Alaska. It could be Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Maine, Texas, Virginia, I won't reveal that information.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City