U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Living in Los Angeles, California VS Chicago, Illinois VS New York City, New York?
Los Angeles. California 40 33.33%
Chicago, Illinois 47 39.17%
New York City, New York 33 27.50%
Voters: 120. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2015, 03:52 AM

366 posts, read 274,150 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGuyWithNoName View Post
I am not Mandalorian. I asked if women in NYC are masculine BECAUSE of his comment, plus I read it somewhere online.
It takes a genuine imbecile to believe that nonetheless.

That's like me trying to defend calling LA and Chicago women nasty and dirty because somebody on the YouTube comments section said so...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2015, 06:58 AM

655 posts, read 521,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N610DL View Post
...and the chubby beer drinking chicks in Chicago. Can't win
I like my chicks chubby and beer drinking. SATC chicks are my idea of hell.

To the OP: LA or Chi.

LA if you can't stand the cold.

Old 04-27-2015, 07:02 AM

655 posts, read 521,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
though I would say the people in LA are more similar to the people in NYC than in Chicago.
That's... a strange opinion to have. Why would you think this? The people in these three cities are as different as different can be.

Old 04-27-2015, 08:06 AM

9,701 posts, read 6,676,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compactspace View Post
That's... a strange opinion to have. Why would you think this? The people in these three cities are as different as different can be.
NYC and LA both have tons of people working in the entertainment industry, and both have a celebrity culture. They also both have massive Jewish, Chinese and Korean populations. Both also have tons of global expats, living in LA or NYC usually for some work reason. So there's at least some similarity.

Certainly the posh parts of LA (West LA and the like) have a very similar population to the posh parts of NYC (Tribeca, UWS and the like). The "Hollywood" crowd is largely a bicoastal crowd, and bicoastal almost always means LA and then NYC/Hamptons.

Physically the two cities look totally different, but I think there are more similarities in the people in LA and NYC than between LA and Chicago or NYC and Chicago.

Old 04-27-2015, 10:24 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,747 posts, read 39,645,962 times
Except the entertainment/celebrity crowd is a small minority of the people, and ditto with the posh parts of both metros. So a very skewed way to compare populations.

Old 04-27-2015, 11:45 AM

10,087 posts, read 12,570,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Except the entertainment/celebrity crowd is a small minority of the people, and ditto with the posh parts of both metros. So a very skewed way to compare populations.
I agree, I think the working class of Los Angeles and NYC are quite different in their racial makeup. I think maybe Chicago and LA have the most similar working class.

I think young professionals are probably more similar in NYC and Chicago. Artists/creative types probably NYC and LA.

And yes, rich people I think NYC and LA have the most similar.

Overall I have to agree most of all that these three cities are all quite different - however there is something that all three share and that is being the heavyweight in their respective 1/3 of the country. Maybe a sort of "center of the world" attitude.

Old 04-27-2015, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
This is true, but it largely sets the tone for both regions. The wealthy obviously have a disparate impact upon an area relative to the middle class and poor.

Most people in Monaco or Cannes or the Hamptons or Santa Barbara are "regular Joes" no different from people in Kansas City, but that doesn't mean that these areas don't have a unique feel based on concentration of certain high net worth or celebrity types.

Old 04-27-2015, 01:01 PM

3,280 posts, read 3,547,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaneKane View Post
It takes a genuine imbecile to believe that nonetheless.

That's like me trying to defend calling LA and Chicago women nasty and dirty because somebody on the YouTube comments section said so...
I think the NYC native women just get masculine from living in such a busy competitive environment. They literally grow a pair.

Old 04-27-2015, 02:47 PM

782 posts, read 1,085,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
NYC and LA both have tons of people working in the entertainment industry, and both have a celebrity culture. They also both have massive Jewish, Chinese and Korean populations. Both also have tons of global expats, living in LA or NYC usually for some work reason. So there's at least some similarity.

Certainly the posh parts of LA (West LA and the like) have a very similar population to the posh parts of NYC (Tribeca, UWS and the like). The "Hollywood" crowd is largely a bicoastal crowd, and bicoastal almost always means LA and then NYC/Hamptons.

Physically the two cities look totally different, but I think there are more similarities in the people in LA and NYC than between LA and Chicago or NYC and Chicago.
The entertainment industry? What a weird way of judging what is the best place to live. Chicago has great options in numerous neighborhoods that are safe, with a wide array of housing a tons of young students and young families. I have lived in both LA and Chicago; Chicago is a lot more interesting to me, and a "Hollywood" crowd, which is miniscule and that you almost never see, is completely unimportant. Chicago just seems more normal; NYC is expensive, crowded, and not all that attractive with type "A" aggressive drivers and people who think paying $50 for parking and $80 for lunch in Chinatown with a friend is normal; LA, although more laid back, never seems all that American, and is the land of the haves and have nots, with a huge homeless population and traffic woes. it is just easier to live in Chicago, and that is why it is scoring so well here.

Old 04-27-2015, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justabystander View Post
The entertainment industry? What a weird way of judging what is the best place to live.
No one made such a claim. In fact no one even implied anything of the sort. You apparently haven't read this thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justabystander View Post
it is just easier to live in Chicago, and that is why it is scoring so well here.
Using your logic, then it would be really easy to live in Muncie, IN, or Rockford, IL, or Council Bluffs, IA, compared to any of these cities. So using your logic these cities should all score much better than NYC, LA or Chicago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City