U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Living in Los Angeles, California VS Chicago, Illinois VS New York City, New York?
Los Angeles. California 40 33.33%
Chicago, Illinois 47 39.17%
New York City, New York 33 27.50%
Voters: 120. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-02-2015, 03:11 PM

35 posts, read 43,602 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaneKane View Post
If it was Chicago that was being compared to a lesser city like Seattle or Miami like that, plenty of Chicago posters would have the exact same attitude. So it's pretty hypocritical to call out New York posters out for that.

I'm not sure where all this anti-NYC envy comes from but it's starting to look pathetic now. That "Forbes" study is a joke and I have called it out before. It does a very selective measure of diversity. If you want to post the link instead of bad English for a change, I'll show you exactly what's wrong with it.

LA being the "entertainment capital" is just a more desirable sounding way of saying it's home to the most film studios. Because having the studios of Paramount in my city makes my quality of life so much better lol.

It's not entertainment of capital of the world by any stretch of the imagination still. For the US, you can make a case for it I suppose. But entertainment industry is more than just movies. There is certainly enough of the entertainment industry in NYC to at least rival LA. Personally, it seems like a lot more of the popular or well known TV shows are set and filmed in NYC than LA these days. I don't have any stats or anything to prove this, but that's just what it feels like to me.

Anything to do with the entertainment industry is a relatively small part of both cities though. Anybody who is not totally clueless knows that you don't walk into a typical street in LA and see actresses and directors everywhere.

Who said I was anti new York?? I don't like new York . but I don't critizice people who do. And I've have honestly never seen a Chicago booster the way I see NY boosters so no...L.A. Is still the entertainment capital of the world. As if celebrities had the time to be walking the streets. No they are out making millions and traveling the world. And calling L.A. their home. L.A. is still the most diverse city in the world.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2015, 02:06 PM

1 posts, read 1,337 times
I am leaving Canada forever but I cannot decide between Chicago, LA, or Oakland. I am a huge sports fan but I also am a vegan and want to make sure I have good organic produce available to me in a cheap neighborhood. I like winter but I hate too many tall buildings that block the sky. I want to stay away from Marijuana but I appreciate that life approach that comes with it. I am stuck between West Coast and Chicago. I have been to Chicago, I did like it but I am trying to gather as much info as possible before I make my big decision. I am leaning towards Chicago but the West Coast sounds nice. I used to live in Vancouver but got sick of the rain and over-zealous hippies although I'd consider myself a hippie but also kind of a jock. Please help me! Thanks.

Old 05-09-2015, 10:37 PM

589 posts, read 583,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForGramma View Post
I am leaving Canada forever but I cannot decide between Chicago, LA, or Oakland. I am a huge sports fan but I also am a vegan and want to make sure I have good organic produce available to me in a cheap neighborhood. I like winter but I hate too many tall buildings that block the sky. I want to stay away from Marijuana but I appreciate that life approach that comes with it. I am stuck between West Coast and Chicago. I have been to Chicago, I did like it but I am trying to gather as much info as possible before I make my big decision. I am leaning towards Chicago but the West Coast sounds nice. I used to live in Vancouver but got sick of the rain and over-zealous hippies although I'd consider myself a hippie but also kind of a jock. Please help me! Thanks.
LA and Chicago have great sports, but vegan restaurants will defiantly be more prevalent in LA than Chicago. I'm sure there are fresh farmers markets in both cities, and housing prices in Chicago are cheaper for the most part. recreational use of marijuana is illegal in both states. Oakland would not be my first choice, but that is just me. Chicago is denser than LA and would feel more independent compared to Oakland. it is not really that rainy in the LA area, they are actually in a drought right now, i am not sure if it is affecting Northern California or not. jockish hippies would fit into Californian culture more than Illinois.

Old 10-24-2015, 02:49 PM

525 posts, read 571,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGuyWithNoName View Post
Based on:

Affordability

Fun for young adults ages 18-25

A lot of straight single women

Good public transportation (good enough to be primary transportation)

Good city to start a business would be great. Specifically, an ISP, although it's likely I'll change my mind about what I want to do a lot.
If you want good public transportation in California, San Francisco Bay Area would be better than LA but COL is higher (rents, but food probably about same and gas prices lower)

Another thing to consider besides COL is your job skills and job market and prospects. If your employer does not train you, can you afford it yourself (online, state or community college courses).

I'd say if you have good job prospects choose LA but otherwise go with NYC. If COL is big concern and freezing winter isn't then go with Chicago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City