U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2019, 12:03 PM

14,411 posts, read 18,281,719 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
I agree. The Chinese do eat a ton of offal which I think many Americans would not like, but there is plenty of authentic Chinese food that even regular Americans would love. I tried X'ian food for the first time the other day (in Manhattan) and it was so good, and had no flavors that I think Americans would find offensive.
Xi'an Famous Foods? LOL It's one of the only Xi'an places in NYC. They are pretty good and a good introduction to the food. They used to have a more legitimate restaurant in East Village but it closed. Most Americans would not find that offensive nor would they find a lot of things, totally agree.

The one thing I learned by having spent time in China is just how varied the food is. It's incredible and there's so many dishes it's not even funny. You could spend your whole life in China and probably never run out of food within the country cuisine to try because there's just so much of it, and that many dishes. There's a lot of authentic stuff that doesn't have offal in it. I'm not a big fan of offal at all - except for maybe chicken and beef hearts, and tripe. I do not like kidney, liver, lung, etc - and I've never once had a problem eating authentic Chinese food including eating in China itself on numerous trips.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2019, 12:13 PM

741 posts, read 192,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by That_One_Guy View Post
+++ Facts!

Everything you said is exactly how I feel! I definitely would not say at all that LA has better Latin Food than Miami. Maybe Mexican but not all Latin food overall. Like you I have not spent nearly as much time in LA as I have in Miami, but I feel pretty confident in saying this!

Iíve also always felt like Latin America and itís culture donít get enough recognition on these boards. I myself am not even Latino but I am a sucker for all things Latin American... especially the food. I think just being from NYC (Queens especially) I grew up extremely exposed to various Latin American cultures my entire life in a way that most (non-Latino) Americans just are not. Just for one example, Mexico City rarely gets talked about on this board despite being the size of NYC. Threads involving North America usually stay limited to US/Canada. Also San Juan, PR is a fantastic city that never gets talked about despite actually being part of The US!

Iíve spent more time in Philly than any other US city except for New York. I think Philly has a really great food scene but I personally enjoy Miami more. Mainly for the Latin food. Philly probably does have more variety though. But I can be more than happy with just the Latin food there. Phillyís Latin food scene tends to be a bit lacking IMO. True it probably beats Miami in other categories ó like Italian for example, but for me the Latin food is enough to tip Miami way ahead of Philly for my personal tastes. My other favorite type of food is Asian ó especially Chinese (not the fake Chinese food). In my personal experience, neither tends to be clearly ahead of the other with Chinese and other Asian, but maybe edge to Miami for seafood.

Itís not about ranking food scenes, itís about personal favorite places to eat. Whenever Iím in Vegas, I eat better than I do in most other cities for sure. Doesnít matter if Iím at a celebrity chef restaurant, some gimmicky place, somewhere off the strip, or eating as much as physically possible at an all-you-can-eat buffet. Vegas is by far one of my favorite places on the continent to eat! Itís not possible to overrate when talking about personal opinions!
I much prefer Mexican food over Caribbean Latin food and to a lesser extent South American food, so I think the claim that LA has better Latin food than Miami seems reasonable depending on your preferences.

Even in NYC I eat more Mexican food than any other form of Latin food. Mexican food is getting very mainstream in NYC, so I laugh when people on this board act like NYC doesn't have good Mexican food.

I agree that Latin stuff in general does not get enough recognition on this board.

Old 01-21-2019, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Xi'an Famous Foods? LOL It's one of the only Xi'an places in NYC. They are pretty good and a good introduction to the food. They used to have a more legitimate restaurant in East Village but it closed. Most Americans would not find that offensive nor would they find a lot of things, totally agree.

The one thing I learned by having spent time in China is just how varied the food is. It's incredible and there's so many dishes it's not even funny. You could spend your whole life in China and probably never run out of food within the country cuisine to try because there's just so much of it, and that many dishes. There's a lot of authentic stuff that doesn't have offal in it. I'm not a big fan of offal at all - except for maybe chicken and beef hearts, and tripe. I do not like kidney, liver, lung, etc - and I've never once had a problem eating authentic Chinese food including eating in China itself on numerous trips.
Yep! There are a ton of Szechuan places too and I think Americans would like those flavors.

And yeah, China is huge and has all sorts of food. I don't like any offal and I still have a wide variety of authentic Chinese food to eat in NYC alone.

Old 01-21-2019, 12:28 PM

Quote:
I much prefer Mexican food over Caribbean Latin food and to a lesser extent South American food, so I think the claim that LA has better Latin food than Miami seems reasonable depending on your preferences.

Even in NYC I eat more Mexican food than any other form of Latin food. Mexican food is getting very mainstream in NYC, so I laugh when people on this board act like NYC doesn't have good Mexican food.

I agree that Latin stuff in general does not get enough recognition on this board.
There is good Mexican food in NYC, but it's not as good on average as you find in the parts of the country with a lot more Mexicans than the NYC area - LA, Chicago, Houston, Dallas, etc. There's enough Mexicans in NYC to have good stuff, but the amount of actual authentic places that's more than just tacos, enchiladas, etc or some Americanized version of it (like a few places I've seen in Brooklyn) aren't as easy to find than in some other places. I think when people like myself say Mexican food is not good in NYC, I don't think we meant to say there's no good Mexican food. It's just that on average it pales in comparison to some of those places listed.

When I had moved to Chicago, I had no idea just how many Mexicans there were there. It shocked me - so many, and you can get pretty good Mexican food all over the city. Some of the places that aren't considered that great IMO would be considered in NYC to be better. That's just my observation though. Even in some of the most whitewashed neighborhoods like Lakeview and Lincoln Park, finding a place to get Mexican food at 3am is not hard. Go to Little Village, Gage Park, etc and it's a whole different ballgame.

I will say though in NYC, I do like the tacos from Los Tacos. Those are pretty legit for real.

Quote:
Yep! There are a ton of Szechuan places too and I think Americans would like those flavors.

And yeah, China is huge and has all sorts of food. I don't like any offal and I still have a wide variety of authentic Chinese food to eat in NYC alone.
Yes, Sichuan food is another one. My favorite food city I've been to in China was Chengdu. I find that in the US, they kind of tame it down in terms of the offal. There was a bunch of funky stuff in Chengdu, but a ton of stuff that's not. One of the great food places of the world, and although it's fairly well known in the US, the actual authentic cuisine I find is still underrated in the west. Sichuan food is good stuff, though some people cannot handle spice might not like it. Of course, it's the numbing pepper which some people have literally thought was some errant chemical and wrong the first time they had it "why is my tongue numb!?"

Old 01-21-2019, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
I donít think it rates with those cities or New Orleans, but it definitely belongs in that next tier. I will say, personally, I have hit enjoyed dining in Miami more than Los Angeles. Granted I have not spent nearly as much time in LA, but Iím inclined to say that it might be slightly overrated. Not that LA isnít excellent, but the rest of the country seems to be catching up on Mexican and the various Asian cuisines.
There are Mexicans all over the country (except for New England maybe), the idea that you need to be in California for great Mexican food is so outdated.

Old 01-21-2019, 12:31 PM

Quote:
There are Mexicans all over the country (except for New England maybe), the idea that you need to be in California for great Mexican food is so outdated.
Agree - especially in Chicago, Houston, and Dallas where there's loads of Mexicans. Each of these metro areas have over 600,000 people born in Mexico living there. Not as many as LA, but that's a lot - and more than enough to support having many, many good Mexican restaurants in each place.

Old 01-21-2019, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
There is good Mexican food in NYC, but it's not as good on average as you find in the parts of the country with a lot more Mexicans than the NYC area - LA, Chicago, Houston, Dallas, etc. There's enough Mexicans in NYC to have good stuff, but the amount of actual authentic places that's more than just tacos, enchiladas, etc or some Americanized version of it (like a few places I've seen in Brooklyn) aren't as easy to find than in some other places. I think when people like myself say Mexican food is not good in NYC, I don't think we meant to say there's no good Mexican food. It's just that on average it pales in comparison to some of those places listed.

When I had moved to Chicago, I had no idea just how many Mexicans there were there. It shocked me - so many, and you can get pretty good Mexican food all over the city. Some of the places that aren't considered that great IMO would be considered in NYC to be better. That's just my observation though. Even in some of the most whitewashed neighborhoods like Lakeview and Lincoln Park, finding a place to get Mexican food at 3am is not hard. Go to Little Village, Gage Park, etc and it's a whole different ballgame.

I will say though in NYC, I do like the tacos from Los Tacos. Those are pretty legit for real.

Yes, Sichuan food is another one. My favorite food city I've been to in China was Chengdu. I find that in the US, they kind of tame it down in terms of the offal. There was a bunch of funky stuff in Chengdu, but a ton of stuff that's not. One of the great food places of the world, and although it's fairly well known in the US, the actual authentic cuisine I find is still underrated in the west. Sichuan food is good stuff, though some people cannot handle spice might not like it. Of course, it's the numbing pepper which some people have literally thought was some errant chemical and wrong the first time they had it "why is my tongue numb!?"
Yeah Chicago has a HUGE Mexican population and a lot of people don't know that for some reason. My cousin from California went to Chicago and she too was surprised that it was so Mexican heavy and that the food was just as good as California.

I agree that a lot of the places have repetitive menus of mostly antojitos, however that is changing and there are more places with full dishes opening up. I am noticing Mexican food become more and more mainstream in general. There are taco trucks with mostly non-Hispanic clientele (like the ones by the Jefferson St L stop) that are open until 5AM even on weeknights.

If you like Los Tacos 1, you should check out its sister restaurant Los Mariscos 1. Amazing Baja style seafood.

Szechuan does tend to be spicy, but as you know there are enough non spicy dishes like tea smoked duck as well. Or you can just ask them to town down the spice a little bit.

Old 01-21-2019, 03:41 PM

872 posts, read 430,582 times
I've been vegan since birth, so I guess larger cities with more of a hipster/hippie presence are likelier to cater to that.

(I'm fine going to regular restaurants and just ordering what I can, but y'know it's nice when the entire menu is that way so you aren't restricted to one or two dishes. But I went to college in a small, traditional town and had few issues.)

Old 01-21-2019, 03:55 PM

7,317 posts, read 4,109,686 times
Quote:
Thatís kind of my point.

Old 01-21-2019, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
Thatís kind of my point.
I know, I was agreeing with you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or