U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2019, 09:40 PM

11 posts, read 4,405 times

Advertisements

New Orleans
San Francisco
Chicago
New York
Houston
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2019, 10:40 AM

7,481 posts, read 15,554,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
Great thread idea.

1) Montreal- My hands-down favorite place to eat in North America (Tokyo is my favorite in the world). I love the French influence and Quebec ingredients. Poutine, duck, rabbit, venison, rich delicious heaven.

2) Mexico City- Best street food in the country (and that I've experienced in the world).

3) Boston/Providence- I'll be a homer for a second but I think I'm justified. We have some of the best seafood in the world and I love our clam shacks, raw bars, and fresh local seafood (Scallops, Lobster, Striped Bass, Cod, etc.). I had Skate Wing the other day and it was incredible. Didn't even know you could eat. I always considered skate a throwaway fish.

4) San Francisco- It has a great foodie culture and I like the Asian influence. I do like the food truck scene in San Francisco as well. It's a great city to branch out of one's comfort zone.

5) New York City- It has everything. I could put it on here for food carts alone, but there's so much more.

honorable mentions: New Orleans, Chicago, and Austin
This was my post in 2015, and it still stands. I've been to CDMX twice since posting this and had excellent experiences extending well beyond street food so I'd move it even closer to the #1 spot, but Montreal still takes the cake for me.

I should also add that beyond #2, you could swap up the order for me and I wouldn't argue. And obviously NYC is a hell of a lot more than street carts. That reads like NYC is street food first and foremost. It has great street food, but it's also great on every single food front.

Old 01-23-2019, 08:58 PM

1,829 posts, read 882,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_SW_77 View Post
Boston - always craving lobster rolls, North End Italian, clams, scallops, Wellfleet oysters, and I prefer Chinese food here for some reason.
https://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt...find-in-boston

It’s not just your imagination. Though there are authentic Chinese establishments all over the Boston area, many are unique to... Boston... handmade Chinese “ravioli”, Chinese sausages served with hot bread, super spicy hand rolled X’ian noodles that share local ingredients with Italian bakeries.

Chinese food has been a staple in Boston since the 1870s. It’s excellent.

BTW- Boston is not in my top 5 food cities. Simply building off of the previous posters point of Boston Chinese food.

Old 01-24-2019, 10:42 AM

22,091 posts, read 31,301,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Agree - especially in Chicago, Houston, and Dallas where there's loads of Mexicans. Each of these metro areas have over 600,000 people born in Mexico living there. Not as many as LA, but that's a lot - and more than enough to support having many, many good Mexican restaurants in each place.

gladly (quality ethnic) food has been spreading pretty rapidly all over the country

One thing I am personally excited is that the quality of Mexican and Asian food has really made huge strides on the EC; that said Mexican in CA or TX is likely better overall and more commonly good and available there You could probably say the same for Italian food as you can get really good Italian food in most of the country yet the NE (maybe Chicago) will have it more common and commonly good

But the level (rise in quality) of Mexican in Philly as an example in even the last ten years has been phenomenal from where we came from; which for me is great news for my belly (maybe not belt size)

I have a lot co workers in the area from Europe and they now love the Mexican as a choice even here believing it can be so much better then in Europe even in Philly

We are really at a great place though as the availability and quality of good ethnic foods has been rising almost everywhere

The US has become a great place to eat in almost any major city for many varieties, the food world continues to become smaller year after year and the starker differences of the old top US cities and the next set is getting smaller every year

to me a win for all who enjoy food

Old 01-24-2019, 12:49 PM

7,481 posts, read 15,554,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
But the level (rise in quality) of Mexican in Philly as an example in even the last ten years has been phenomenal from where we came from; which for me is great news for my belly (maybe not belt size)
This is definitely true for Boston as well. Mexican was a glaring black hole in this area for a while. It's definitely gotten better. No, not even close to LA or San Francisco levels, but good.

I think one thing I've noticed nationwide is that ethnic food is being embraced more as-is than ever before. It used to be you could get "Thai" (pad thai, chicken saute, etc.), "Chinese" (beef teriyaki, port spareribs, crab rangoons, etc.), "Mexican" (burritos, fajitas, etc.), etc. almost anywhere, but it was dumbed down for American palates. Now, people are more open to authentic and even regionalized ethnic cuisine. Stuff that would have been considered bizarre or adventurous outside of ethnic enclaves even 10-15 years ago. I really appreciate that. We get so many more options now.

Old 01-25-2019, 11:27 AM

1,032 posts, read 977,772 times
I haven't looked throughout the whole thread, but from what I've seen I've got a few that don't seem to be on anyone's lists, or at least not often. Of course it's subjective, but there are certain places that I associate with food, and look forward to whenever I visit. Some of it has to do with certain establishments, some of it has to do with the atmosphere AND the food, and some of it admittedly has to do with my familiarity with what's around.

So, here goes:

1) NYC- because you can get anything at anytime, and of any quality

2) Tampa- I grew up in the area, so I'm biased- but home of the original cubans and restaurants like the Columbia, outstanding Greek food throughout the area (but especially in the Tarpon Springs community). And I crave the seafood, several of my friends still fish for snapper and grouper to deliver daily to Frenchy's in Clearwater...

3) New Orleans- very few places in the US have the cultural history of the Big Easy, and I crave things like jambalaya, chargrilled oysters, po boys, fried chicken, etc. So much goodness everywhere down there.

4) Santa Fe- We were never really satisfied with the Mexican food we experienced when living in CO, but that wasn't the case in New Mexico. Santa Fe was a relatively frequent destination for us when we visited the state, and something about the food there is magical.

5) Vancouver, BC- we live halfway between Seattle and Vancouver, but while Seattle has a lot of good food and interesting offerings, we prefer to head north for culinary adventures. Vancouver has a much more international feel, and the large Chinese and Indian population translates into fantastic offerings that we always look forward to.

Last edited by bartonizer; 01-25-2019 at 12:00 PM..

Old 01-25-2019, 02:02 PM

2,672 posts, read 1,181,833 times
In no particular order:

Philadelphia, PA: Great variety if food. Love their Italian and cheesesteak options.

Chicago, IL: They cover the whole gamut in terms for variety, prices, and quality.

Charleston, SC: Excellent restaurants that are very unique and elegant. The huge variety.

Orlando, FL: Given the quality restaurants on Disney property and the local places in the area, it's one of my favorites.

Los Angeles, CA: Probably the biggest variety and good prices for what you get.

Old 01-25-2019, 02:11 PM

8,302 posts, read 5,744,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by march2 View Post
In no particular order:

Philadelphia, PA: Great variety if food. Love their Italian and cheesesteak options.

Chicago, IL: They cover the whole gamut in terms for variety, prices, and quality.

Charleston, SC: Excellent restaurants that are very unique and elegant. The huge variety.

Orlando, FL: Given the quality restaurants on Disney property and the local places in the area, it's one of my favorites.

Los Angeles, CA: Probably the biggest variety and good prices for what you get.
Glad this got a mention. I may be a bit biased since I live here, but your statement is accurate.

Other than that:

Montreal -- Just... unique.

NYC -- As said above, can get whatever kind of food, whatever quality, at whatever time.

Key West -- I'm a huge seafood lover. I've yet to see any other American city match the freshness.

Last but not least... Baton Rouge... If anything, simply because it has the flare of New Orleans, but without the taint that can come with tourism.

Old 01-25-2019, 02:44 PM

2,672 posts, read 1,181,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Glad this got a mention. I may be a bit biased since I live here, but your statement is accurate.

Other than that:

Montreal -- Just... unique.

NYC -- As said above, can get whatever kind of food, whatever quality, at whatever time.

Key West -- I'm a huge seafood lover. I've yet to see any other American city match the freshness.

Last but not least... Baton Rouge... If anything, simply because it has the flare of New Orleans, but without the taint that can come with tourism.
Thanks. I agree. The restaurants at Epcot are some of our favorites (Especially the Moroccon ones). The Ravenous Pig in Winter Park is awesome! We live in Charlotte and love it so much, we'll be here for good. We lived in Orlando for a year and loved it. We will be heading back to Disney World with our granddaughter in the next few months and can't wait for the food and (for our granddaughter) the character meals.

Old 01-25-2019, 02:50 PM

6,024 posts, read 13,554,540 times
1. Chicago: To me Chicago has the best variety with the best quality. They may not have all the individual ethnic foods of NYC or LA, but for the major ones that most people eat regularly, they're readily available, excellent quality, and often very affordable.

2. Philly: Excellent at just about everything. Does everything basically the same as NYC, but the Mexican food is better.

3. NYC: Excellent at everything except Mexican. You cant hunt down some Mexican places that are amazing, but they take some effort to find. And often everything is more expensive because it's NYC. Variety can't be beat, but Mexican food is one of my favorites.

4. LA: Because Mexican food. It does everything pretty well, but just can't match the Northeast for Italian and bagels.

5. New Orleans: Nowhere does Cajun food like this. While my top 4 have the variety, New Orleans may lack it a little bit compared to them, but the uniqueness of the flavors and style in New Orleans is something like nowhere else on Earth. Places can try, but they're just not the same.

Honorable Mentions: Boston (Italian, Jewish, Latin); DC; San Diego (California burritos and fish tacos); Louisville (best food scene for the size, especially as it is relatively ignored in every way on a national scale until Derby week)

P.S. I haven't been to Miami yet, but I love Latin foods and I assume Miami will jump into my top 5 once I visit. I haven't visited Toronto yet, but considering how international it is, I'm sure it could be a contender for a top 5.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or