U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-19-2019, 07:58 PM
 
Location: Miami, The Magic City
2,467 posts, read 1,727,205 times
Reputation: 1453

Advertisements

Miami does a very good job with steak, seafood, and Italian...it’s only weak link within Latin is Mexican. It excels in Peruvian, Colombian, Spanish, Venezuelan and Caribbean. Cuban is surprisingly disappointing (though I’ve yet to find a good Cuban resto in the States) and Miami proper should be better in Brazilian (have not spent enough time in Pompano). French has improved beyond Cafe Roval with the additions of La Petite Maison and Thomas Keller’s Surf Club. Indian is good; Asian—does not have the variety of other cities (Chinese and Vietnamese are lacking, Thai is good; NAOE is one of the top sushi restaurants in the entire country). Nobody ever claimed it was on par with NYC, SF, CHI.

[quote=djesus007;54195800]That's because you can get better Latin food in NYC and LA, and other cities on the continent can also rival Miami. Outside Latin food, Miami's food scene is pretty subpar not gonna lie, as in it's good but it's not in the same league as the NYC, CHI, MTL, TO, LA group (I'll add N.O, Philly and BOS as well).[/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-19-2019, 08:05 PM
 
Location: Montreal/Miami/Toronto
852 posts, read 534,767 times
Reputation: 889
[quote=elchevere;54195900]Miami does a good job with steak, seafood, and Italian...itís only weak link within Latin is Mexican. It excels in Peruvian, Colombian, Spanish, Venezuelan and Caribbean. Cuban is surprisingly disappointing (though Iíve yet to find a good Cuban resto in the States) and Miami proper should be better in Brazilian (have not spent enough time in Pompano). French has improved beyond Cafe Roval with the additions of La Petite Maison and Thomas Kellerís Surf Club. Indian is good; Asianódoes not have the variety of other cities (Chinese and Vietnamese are lacking, Thai is good; NAOE is one of the top sushi restaurants in the entire country). Nobody ever claimed it was on par with NYC, SF, CHI.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djesus007 View Post
That's because you can get better Latin food in NYC and LA, and other cities on the continent can also rival Miami. Outside Latin food, Miami's food scene is pretty subpar not gonna lie, as in it's good but it's not in the same league as the NYC, CHI, MTL, TO, LA group (I'll add N.O, Philly and BOS as well).[/
Eh, I'm Italian and the Italian food/scene in Miami is a disgrace to my culture. Indian food in Miami is also pretty terrible as well, I was very disappointed. Outside the Latin American cuisines, it lacks substance honestly. On the contrary though, the Cuban food in Miami is top notch and so is the Carribean cuisines, both are very strong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-19-2019, 08:13 PM
 
Location: Miami, The Magic City
2,467 posts, read 1,727,205 times
Reputation: 1453
Le Sirenuse, Il Gabbiano, Il Mulino, La Scala, Sardinia Enoteca, Cipriani, La Centrale, etc all solid. Fratellino, Pane & Vino, and Scarpetta good. I’m from NY, no slouch in terms of Italian food. Bombay Darbar and Ghee Kitchen solid Indian. I forgot about Greek (Mandolin Aegean and Estiatorio Milos very good; other Mediterranean such as Turkish and Persian lacking—though Fooq’s very good)...I find the Cuban food not good here; surprising to me it’s better on the island (been to Havana 12 times) given access to fewer resources though the food is organic.

[quote=djesus007;54195949]
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
Miami does a good job with steak, seafood, and Italian...it’s only weak link within Latin is Mexican. It excels in Peruvian, Colombian, Spanish, Venezuelan and Caribbean. Cuban is surprisingly disappointing (though I’ve yet to find a good Cuban resto in the States) and Miami proper should be better in Brazilian (have not spent enough time in Pompano). French has improved beyond Cafe Roval with the additions of La Petite Maison and Thomas Keller’s Surf Club. Indian is good; Asian—does not have the variety of other cities (Chinese and Vietnamese are lacking, Thai is good; NAOE is one of the top sushi restaurants in the entire country). Nobody ever claimed it was on par with NYC, SF, CHI.



Eh, I'm Italian and the Italian food/scene in Miami is a disgrace to my culture. Indian food in Miami is also pretty terrible as well, I was very disappointed. Outside the Latin American cuisines, it lacks substance honestly. On the contrary though, the Cuban food in Miami is top notch and so is the Carribean cuisines, both are very strong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-19-2019, 08:21 PM
 
Location: Upper West Side, Manhattan, NYC
14,401 posts, read 18,274,885 times
Reputation: 6377
I like Miami for its fare like Colombian, Peruvian, etc. as well as Caribbean. The Mexican food isn't as good as other places but of course you can find good stuff. I'm a sucker for good South American food (especially Peruvian food), which is why I like eating in Miami. There's also some good healthy options too in places. With that being said, a lot of the other food kind of lacks. The Indian and East Asian food is not good at all. I've eaten at some top rated sushi places in the area and they very much pale in comparison to what you'd find in LA, NYC, SF, Seattle, and even Chicago. Italian food pretty average compared to other areas with large Italian populations (NYC, Chicago, Philadelphia, Boston, etc).

I've had a few good Turkish places in Miami area, but they were not as good as the best places I've had in LA, NYC, SF or Chicago. I've been to Turkey numerous times and the only legit places I've had in America were in NYC, LA, and Chicago. Probably others exist of course in places I've not tried. The places I had in Miami were above average for America, but still not as good as those 3 places.

I really like certain parts of the Miami area and wouldn't have a problem living there lifestyle wise. However, my fiancee is from China and the severe lack of authentic Chinese food in the Miami area compared to other places would probably make my fiancee think twice about living there (she likes the Miami area too lifestyle wise). Maybe when we retire in 20 years things will be different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-19-2019, 08:29 PM
 
Location: Miami, The Magic City
2,467 posts, read 1,727,205 times
Reputation: 1453
See above for Indian, NAOE is a top 5 sushi resto in the country (not cheap, other great spots far and few between); Italian where it should be and good; Mexican sucks here; Miami not known for Asian—though if you like Peking Duck, Novikov and Komodo very good. It also lacks an abundance of “popular priced” good alternatives that you will find in LA. I said earlier lacking in Turkish (not including Nusr-et, which is a steakhouse and good). Pretty good Russian, including outpost of NYC Michelin Star Caviar Russe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
I like Miami for its fare like Colombian, Peruvian, etc. as well as Caribbean. The Mexican food isn't as good as other places but of course you can find good stuff. I'm a sucker for good South American food (especially Peruvian food), which is why I like eating in Miami. There's also some good healthy options too in places. With that being said, a lot of the other food kind of lacks. The Indian and East Asian food is not good at all. I've eaten at some top rated sushi places in the area and they very much pale in comparison to what you'd find in LA, NYC, SF, Seattle, and even Chicago. Italian food pretty average compared to other areas with large Italian populations (NYC, Chicago, Philadelphia, Boston, etc).

I've had a few good Turkish places in Miami area, but they were not as good as the best places I've had in LA, NYC, SF or Chicago. I've been to Turkey numerous times and the only legit places I've had in America were in NYC, LA, and Chicago. The places I had in Miami were above average, but still not as good as those 3 places.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-19-2019, 08:38 PM
 
Location: Upper West Side, Manhattan, NYC
14,401 posts, read 18,274,885 times
Reputation: 6377
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
See above for Indian, NAOE is a top 5 sushi resto in the country (not cheap, other great spots far and few between); Italian where it should be and good; Mexican sucks here; Miami not known for Asian—though if you like Peking Duck, Novikov and Komodo very good. It also lacks an abundance of “popular priced” good alternatives that you will find in LA.
I'm aware of a few highly rated sushi places in the Miami area, and have had a few. Compared to what you get in NYC though I'd take what you get in NYC. We had a $100 omakase (price per person...15 pieces each) in Manhattan a few weeks ago that was better than most Michelin sushi places we've had in any US city. On average though is more of what I was talking about.

Indian no contest compared to NYC, Chicago, or the Bay Area which have by far, not even close, larger Indian populations than the Miami area (50K in Miami area vs. 215K in Chicago area vs. 350K in Bay Area vs. 650K in the NYC area). I'm sure you can get good Indian food in Miami. You can get good Indian food in Rochester, Minnesota at a few places too. Averages though...

I like eating in Miami but that's mainly for Latin American and Caribbean food. I think there's other good food there, so it's not like it's crap (maybe the East Asian food like Chinese though is lacking for sure). There's many worse places for food LOL. I'd put Miami in my top 10, but all around it wouldn't beat the likes of NYC, LA, Chicago, Bay Area, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-19-2019, 10:47 PM
 
Location: Miami-Jax
5,990 posts, read 6,573,165 times
Reputation: 3255
This is not easy at all. I guess without overthinking I'll say:

Vancouver
Toronto
Los Angeles
San Francisco
Houston

Can't believe I'm leaving NYC off. And New Orleans. Ugh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-20-2019, 05:47 AM
 
Location: London, UK
3,439 posts, read 3,866,437 times
Reputation: 2586
NYC
Mexico City
NOLA
Chicago
Charleston


When it comes to living in a city I lean towards places that have a strong local food scene mixed with variety. On the other hand I enjoy eating food that I canít easily find elsewhere which is why places like DF, NOLA and Charleston really grab my attention. Variety is great but the majority of the time the version you are eating is not a good representation of how the food tastes in its homeland and original form.

Nyc and Chicago offer that veriety, but also seem to hit the right spots when it comes to innovation as well.

If we opened this up to the rest of NA, then I would have to bump one of those cities off for either Kingston, JA or Port of Spain Trinidad. Two incredible places to eat, with food you canít find easily in the diaspora.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-20-2019, 07:32 AM
 
7,316 posts, read 4,102,943 times
Reputation: 7725
Miami gets short thrift because people on this forum do not respect Latin America or its culture(s). As someone stated earlier, Miami offers amazing cuisine from the entire continent of South America, much of central America, and the entire Caribbean. If a city had the same quality of food from, say, all of Europe or all of Asia, people will be losing their minds to praise it. Never mind the fact that Miami also excels at seafood and new American.


Las Vegas is also coming into its own as a food city. I think we tend to associate Vegas is food scene with celebrity chef restaurants in the big strip casinos, but the city of Las Vegas is actually a treasure trove for high-quality ethnic food.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-20-2019, 10:27 AM
 
Location: Upper West Side, Manhattan, NYC
14,401 posts, read 18,274,885 times
Reputation: 6377
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
Miami gets short thrift because people on this forum do not respect Latin America or its culture(s). As someone stated earlier, Miami offers amazing cuisine from the entire continent of South America, much of central America, and the entire Caribbean. If a city had the same quality of food from, say, all of Europe or all of Asia, people will be losing their minds to praise it. Never mind the fact that Miami also excels at seafood and new American.


Las Vegas is also coming into its own as a food city. I think we tend to associate Vegas is food scene with celebrity chef restaurants in the big strip casinos, but the city of Las Vegas is actually a treasure trove for high-quality ethnic food.
Right, but still compared to other cities (the LA, NYC, SF, Chicago, etc) it has a ways to go in that category still. Improvement is always good, but let's not overrate compared to other places that have been long established in this arena and have kept up the quality or improved themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top