U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Greenville, SC vs Winston-Salem, NC
Greenville, SC 37 53.62%
Winston-Salem, NC 32 46.38%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-30-2015, 02:09 PM

32 posts, read 50,695 times

Advertisements

Mutiny77 that was my whole point and what separates these two evenly matched cities, also Greenville has more concerts and shows due to it being the main city in the upstate... Winston doesn't because they all go to G,boro.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2015, 02:16 PM

20,208 posts, read 28,247,490 times
It seems they each attract a different demographic while fairly equal on paper, with Greenville more conservative overall and Winston Salem more liberal. The downtown areas are completely different too and can see why some would prefer the more manufactured suburban-style seen in Greenville, versus Winston Salem's focus on historic renovation which others like myself would prefer.

Old 04-30-2015, 02:31 PM

27,747 posts, read 24,748,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
It seems they each attract a different demographic while fairly equal on paper, with Greenville more conservative overall and Winston Salem more liberal. The downtown areas are completely different too and can see why some would prefer the more manufactured suburban-style seen in Greenville, versus Winston Salem's focus on historic renovation which others like myself would prefer.
"Manufactured suburban-style"???? If you prefer renovation of historic buildings over new construction I get that, but I don't get the "manufactured, suburban-style" descriptor at all.

Old 04-30-2015, 02:34 PM

6,612 posts, read 6,537,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citystarter View Post
Mutiny77 that was my whole point and what separates these two evenly matched cities, also Greenville has more concerts and shows due to it being the main city in the upstate... Winston doesn't because they all go to G,boro.
What kind of shows are you talking about? There is a coliseum in Winston-Salem too that gets pretty big shows and is the home court for Wake Forest basketball (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lawrenc...orial_Coliseum), but you're right Greensboro is just 30 minutes away with big shows as well...and W-S has opera, symphony, and a very lively theater community. It isn't the City of the Arts for nothing.

I'm trying to figure out what you think "separates these two evenly matched cities". What is it that you feel Greenville has the Winston-Salem doesn't? Everything you've mentioned is also found in W-S, and much more.

Old 04-30-2015, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Very good point...Winston-Salem has a large historical downtown, not one that has been made to look that way. Old Salem is downtown too, one of the largest preserved colonial towns in the U.S. Old Salem - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia W-S also has a downtown research park that is booming at the moment. Wake Forest Innovation Quarter - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 05-01-2015, 07:24 AM

2,825 posts, read 2,988,163 times
Winston-Salem is more liberal than Greenville? Seriously? I guess that's the case in the areas closer to downtown but the Winston-Salem suburbs are anything but liberal. Also, drive over to areas like Yadkin County and Lexington just outside Winston, the most conservative areas of North Carolina. So yeah, it's not like Winston is blowing Greenville away in terms of being liberal.

I think both cites are a good match, but I'd hate to see Winston turn into another Cary by becoming nonstop suburban sprawl. It's one of my favorite cities in NC, but something tells me I'm going to be very disappointed in the near future. The SC Upstate is a little like the NC Triad, but I'm sure the Upstate is growing faster.

Old 05-01-2015, 07:41 AM

27,747 posts, read 24,748,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
Winston-Salem is more liberal than Greenville? Seriously? I guess that's the case in the areas closer to downtown but the Winston-Salem suburbs are anything but liberal. Also, drive over to areas like Yadkin County and Lexington just outside Winston, the most conservative areas of North Carolina. So yeah, it's not like Winston is blowing Greenville away in terms of being liberal.
I think it's a bit more accurate to say that Winston-Salem is more moderate than Greenville.

Old 05-01-2015, 03:06 PM

Winston-Salem also has a great downtown Arts District along Trade Street: DADA - The Downtown Arts District Association of Winston - Salem

Old 05-01-2015, 04:23 PM
AT9

691 posts, read 1,006,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I think it's a bit more accurate to say that Winston-Salem is more moderate than Greenville.
Yeah, this is exactly it. I don't think Winston is exactly "liberal," but Greenville is in one of the most conservative areas in the country. NC is generally conservative but becoming a swing state.

I haven't been to Greenville's downtown but I've heard great things. I think the distinction pointed out is probably true: if you prefer grittier, industrial revitalization in the urban core that feels more authentic/historic, then you'll probably prefer Winston's downtown. If you prefer cleaner and newer construction, then downtown Greenville is probably for you.

Also, why would anyone be concerned that Winston would become like Cary? Isn't Cary primarily a new, wealthy suburb that sprung up in the wake of Raliegh and Durham's boom? Winston is an old city with tons of history that grew up by itself, not as a suburb.

City population may be a factor too - Greenville is a little smaller than Winston, so it just depends what you prefer there. But having driven through Greenville/Spartanburg on 85, I have to say it looks like the economy there is doing pretty well. Downtown Winston is experiencing quite a re-birth but I don't think the Triad is growing like Upstate SC (though perhaps I'm wrong).

Old 05-01-2015, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AT9 View Post
Yeah, this is exactly it. I don't think Winston is exactly "liberal," but Greenville is in one of the most conservative areas in the country. NC is generally conservative but becoming a swing state.

I haven't been to Greenville's downtown but I've heard great things. I think the distinction pointed out is probably true: if you prefer grittier, industrial revitalization in the urban core that feels more authentic/historic, then you'll probably prefer Winston's downtown. If you prefer cleaner and newer construction, then downtown Greenville is probably for you.

Also, why would anyone be concerned that Winston would become like Cary? Isn't Cary primarily a new, wealthy suburb that sprung up in the wake of Raliegh and Durham's boom? Winston is an old city with tons of history that grew up by itself, not as a suburb.

City population may be a factor too - Greenville is a little smaller than Winston, so it just depends what you prefer there. But having driven through Greenville/Spartanburg on 85, I have to say it looks like the economy there is doing pretty well. Downtown Winston is experiencing quite a re-birth but I don't think the Triad is growing like Upstate SC (though perhaps I'm wrong).
Good comments. The city limits of Winston-Salem is actually about 4 times the population of the city limits of Greenville, so the city and urban area is larger but metro area of Greenville is larger.

I'm not sure how fast Greenville is growing, but Winston-Salem is growing at a healthy rate of about 2%. I don't know exactly how to compare the economies either, but the three Fortune 500 companies in W-S contribute a lot to the community.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or