U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Greenville, SC vs Winston-Salem, NC
Greenville, SC 37 53.62%
Winston-Salem, NC 32 46.38%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-02-2015, 02:14 PM

1,509 posts, read 2,057,399 times

Advertisements

How does traffic compare between these two cities? The road infrastructure? I haven't been to either city yet but have been to Knoxville. I felt West Knoxville traffic was awful due to poor planning/zoning. I'm from a city in Iowa and wondering how Winston-Salem compares to Knoxville and/or Des Moines Iowa? Hope I'm not off topic here. Thanks.

PS ... Grew up in the Los Angeles area and spend time in Chicago so familiar with big city traffic ... just prefer smaller city living.

Last edited by ennaf; 05-02-2015 at 02:23 PM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2015, 02:20 PM

252 posts, read 251,250 times
WS is lot less sprawly than Knoxville. Kingston Pike may be the worst sprawl road in the country.

Old 05-02-2015, 03:45 PM

6,612 posts, read 6,535,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamecock Student View Post
Ok, I hope they have a good downtown. It seems like Greenville has too many people moving here now and the downtown seems to be a main factor in that. Nice downtowns in comparable metroes in the region is a good thing to prevent too much growth in the area.

It is cooler up there in summer and some people like some snow in the winter. It is a pretty area as I said before. There is probably a little more gentrification than Greenville but not to the point where everything is overplanned like some areas in Raleigh and Charlotte.

Wake Forest has a nice vibe for a football game despite a smaller venue. It is probably my 2nd favorite campus / stadium in the ACC>

Looks like you have to add up WS and G'boro's population to get the same or a tad bit more number of people as Greenville metro.

Greenville is more comparable to G'boro than WS in terms of amenitiies. Greenville has a Cabelas and Dave/Busters and the Triad does not, etc.

Greenville has Furman a well respected private college with a nice campus which is similiar to Wake at the undergrad level, and Clemson, a top 20 public university per US News, is 40 minutes away. Greensboro has UNC-Greensboro which probably is ok.

I am surprise Greenville is winning the poll so far because the comments seem more pro-Triad. Winning the poll even with a small response could indicate G'ville is actually a little higher tier than the Triad
It's fine if you like Greenville better - that's your opinion. But let's use factual information:

1.When you add W-S and GSO population (The Triad) you get 1.6 million. When you add Greenville and Spartanburg population you get 1.4 million. Greenville metro alone is about 900,000 less than W-S and GSO combined.

2.Greensboro is part of the Triad...and I wouldn't gauge amenities by a Dave and Busters. There is an H&M in Winston-Salem, but I don't think that make W-S any better.

3.Clemson is ranked #62 in the US News ranking and isn't in the Greenville metro. Wake Forest is ranked #27, 35 spots higher and is actually in the W-S metro. Furman, a liberal arts college, isn't anywhere near similar to Wake Forest, a private research university with schools of medicine and law and a major athletics program. Furman is more along the lines of Salem College, a private liberal arts.

Winning a city-data poll doesn't make Greenville "a little higher than W-S". I doubt it's any cooler in the summer in W-S as they are both located very near the mountains.

Old 05-02-2015, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
The Triad is definitely a tier higher than Greenville-Spartanburg.
I agree, but it's still just an opinion. There are several characteristics that both areas have that make them nice cities, and there aren't that many amenities found in one that you won't find in the other.

Old 05-02-2015, 04:04 PM

252 posts, read 251,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
It's fine if you like Greenville better - that's your opinion. But let's use factual information:

1.When you add W-S and GSO population (The Triad) you get 1.6 million. When you add Greenville and Spartanburg population you get 1.4 million. Greenville metro alone is about 900,000 less than W-S and GSO combined.

2.Greensboro is part of the Triad...and I wouldn't gauge amenities by a Dave and Busters. There is an H&M in Winston-Salem, but I don't think that make W-S any better.

3.Clemson is ranked #62 in the US News ranking and isn't in the Greenville metro. Wake Forest is ranked #27, 35 spots higher and is actually in the W-S metro. Furman, a liberal arts college, isn't anywhere near similar to Wake Forest, a private research university with schools of medicine and law and a major athletics program. Furman is more along the lines of Salem College, a private liberal arts.

Winning a city-data poll doesn't make Greenville "a little higher than W-S". I doubt it's any cooler in the summer in W-S as they are both located very near the mountains.
Ok well Greenville metro is bigger than Greensboro and much bigger than WS. And if you package G'boro and WS together than you have to include Spartanburg and ANderson in with the Greenville metro.

The point is Greenville is getting stuff and already has stuff that WS and G'boro do not. HOw is this possible if the triad is higher tier?

You haven't explained what makes the Triad a higher tier. You have to break out a microscope to see a difference in daily living. I know Greenville has more engineering / science related jobs.

Clemson is Upstate and the Upstate is basically one big metro. People are always going all over it to do things.

Clemson is top 20 public college.....most kids go to public college. Private schools like Wake end up ranked higher because they take kids from all over the country so they end up being more selective, large public schools have to take x number of in state students because they received tax dollars from the state residents.

I don't think Wake offers engineering and architecture so to say it is better than Clemson is bit of a stretch. It is not better in engineering and architecture. Wake isn't better enough to justify thousands of more dollars in tuition, regardless.

I never heard of Salem College and lived in Carolinas all my life. I don't think it has the name recognition of a Furman. Furman is more comparable to Davidson.

Old 05-02-2015, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamecock Student View Post
Ok well Greenville metro is bigger than Greensboro and much bigger than WS. And if you package G'boro and WS together than you have to include Spartanburg and ANderson in with the Greenville metro.

The point is Greenville is getting stuff and already has stuff that WS and G'boro do not. HOw is this possible if the triad is higher tier?

You haven't explained what makes the Triad a higher tier. You have to break out a microscope to see a difference in daily living. I know Greenville has more engineering / science related jobs.

Clemson is Upstate and the Upstate is basically one big metro. People are always going all over it to do things.

Clemson is top 20 public college.....most kids go to public college. Private schools like Wake end up ranked higher because they take kids from all over the country so they end up being more selective, large public schools have to take x number of in state students because they received tax dollars from the state residents.

I don't think Wake offers engineering and architecture so to say it is better than Clemson is bit of a stretch. It is not better in engineering and architecture. Wake isn't better enough to justify thousands of more dollars in tuition, regardless.

I never heard of Salem College and lived in Carolinas all my life. I don't think it has the name recognition of a Furman.
Greenville is a little larger then both W-S and GSO metros - not a lot. It's a lot bigger than Asheville metro.

I didn't say that W-S is in a higher tier. I actually said the difference in amenities is negligible and that both have things that the other doesn't. Again this comparison is about W-S and G'ville - not the Triad and Upstate SC.

Clemson isn't in G'ville. Wake is in W-S. Wake is still a much higher ranked school than Clemson. That is a known fact...Clemson is a fine school and definitely a top 20 PUBLIC university, but if you're comparing it to Wake then you have to include private and public universities.

Salem College is the oldest women's college in the U.S. and a highly respected liberal arts school. Sorry you've never heard of it, but that doesn't take anything away from it. This would be good time to learn about it if you've never heard of it. It's always good to learn something.

I didn't mean to get you riled up...but if we're making comparisons and statements then they should be true comparisons. Some of yours just were not genuine.

Old 05-02-2015, 10:29 PM

Both cities are fairly similar and seem to be about even, other than the skylines.
I like downtown Greenville's website a little better.

Downtown Greenville
The Downtown Winston-Salem Partnership - HOME

Both offer roughly the same in amenities...I wouldn't be able to say that one offers anything more than the other with a couple of exceptions. Both have top 62 major research universities and smaller private/liberal arts colleges. I think both have an HBCU?

Last edited by JoeTarheel; 05-02-2015 at 10:42 PM..

Old 05-03-2015, 05:37 AM

27,720 posts, read 24,737,149 times
There are no HBCU's in the Upstate.

Old 05-03-2015, 09:54 AM

"10 powerful major southern metros that don't get enough national attention"...guess which two cities made this list? Southern Business & Development > Features > Ten powerful major market economies in the South

Other lists where Winston-Salem is ranked, and probably Greenville too: Winston-Salem Receiving High Marks and National Rankings | What's New | Visit Winston Salem

Old 05-03-2015, 03:55 PM

2,825 posts, read 2,986,909 times
I do really like Winston-Salem, it's almost perfect. Plenty of NC culture and history, great location in the state, nice downtown, plenty of hiking spots/opportunities just outside the city, good size, etc. Winston is one area of the Triad I wouldn't mind living in, I don't really have a major problem with Greensboro but I've never been a huge fan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or