U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Greenville, SC vs Winston-Salem, NC
Greenville, SC 37 53.62%
Winston-Salem, NC 32 46.38%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2016, 02:50 PM

5,059 posts, read 3,491,402 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityb1 View Post
Yes they are similar and that is why my search narrowed down to just these two. I was also comparing many of the parameters in the original post of this thread, so I have read through all posts and still I am unsure about some aspects. If i can get some advice, I am looking at the following.

-economy - Mostly jobs. Being in Technology I see both cities have jobs. Posts seem to suggest WS has more Technology jobs.
-recreation - To me outdoor recreation matters more. Not worried about glitzy bars or night clubs.
-restaurants/retail - not worried about this
-downtown - Prefer not too crowded, dont have to pay to park anywhere, not lot of crime type downtowns
-education - Not worried, no kids
-diversity - More than diversity in percentages, I look at level of acceptance. Being Asian and single explains why.
-location - Near to nice roads, nice scenery, mountains etc will help. But avoiding snow as much as possible is more important as I am moving to avoid driving in the snow.
-transit - Not worried unless I have to pay to park in downtown or where the jobs are.

Cost of Living - As in rent and taxes. Seems overall all taxes combined, the burden is almost similar

Roads - Some on the forums seem to suggest WS\NC has better roads and Greenville\SC roads are dilapidated.
Winston Salem will probably be better from a tech standpoint. Greenville shines in certain areas, but tech isn't one. As for recreation, Greenville is closer to the mountains and lakes, but doesn't have a huge amount of parks in-city.

Your downtown ask doesn't make sense to me. So you're saying you want a dead downtown? If that's the case, then neither. IDK about WS, but there's plenty of parking in downtown Greenville, especially on the weekends when some of the garages are free. Everyone thinks you have to park on Main Street: that is not true. Crime is subjective. You have to keep your guard up everywhere at night.

Forysth County is more diverse than Greenville County. Forsyth's minority populations is 33% versus Greenville's 24%.

Greenville wins in location. Right between Charlotte and Atlanta, and on the I-85 corridor. Greenville ranks higher on the COL index than Winston Salem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2016, 05:36 PM

114 posts, read 60,620 times
Thank you for the response.

I will clarify the downtown ask in one sentence. I do not want to live near a downtown that is like Chicago. Hope that clarifies.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
....Your downtown ask doesn't make sense to me. So you're saying you want a dead downtown? .. .

I hope there is not a lot of difference between the COL.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
.. .. Greenville ranks higher on the COL index than Winston Salem.

Old 12-28-2016, 06:07 PM

15,402 posts, read 8,059,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Agreed. Greenville has won awards for its downtown revitalization and receives delegations from many cities to study what it did right in hopes of improving their own downtowns, including Winston-Salem (and Raleigh, Durham, and Greensboro as well). Winston-Salem's downtown has nice structural density and history for its size and has also seen improvement in pedestrian activity, but it doesn't quite match Greenville's vibrancy and as was noted, it has nothing like Falls Park which is among the best downtown parks I've ever had the pleasure of spending time in. Not too many cities have an open, recreational space right smack downtown complete with actual falls that people can enjoy. Also Greenville has a ton of new mixed-use and residential projects recently completed, underway, and planned right now.
Agree, Greenville downtown is a great example of revitalizing the downtown into a beautiful desirable area....they did it right. The downtown restaurants are also fabulous as well as the condo selections. The walk bridge, falls and park are the final touches to a great downtown living experience.

Winston-Salem is also nice but I give the edge to Greenville due to its downtown and location.

Old 12-28-2016, 07:32 PM

5,059 posts, read 3,491,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityb1 View Post
Thank you for the response.

I will clarify the downtown ask in one sentence. I do not want to live near a downtown that is like Chicago. Hope that clarifies.

I hope there is not a lot of difference between the COL.
Well, honestly, I still don't know what you mean there, because the only other place that has a downtown like Chicago to me is, well, New York.

Greenville and Winston Salem are much much much smaller. They're bustling for a mid size SE city, but they're not overwhelming at all.

The COL difference isn't much. So you can get an extensive look, Google Greenville's and WS's COL and check out Best Places, Nerd Wallet, and Numbeo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or