U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Greenville, SC vs Winston-Salem, NC
Greenville, SC 37 53.62%
Winston-Salem, NC 32 46.38%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-28-2015, 07:31 PM

27,754 posts, read 24,774,360 times

Advertisements

A good match-up between two similarly-sized metro areas in the Piedmont region of the Carolinas. The criteria for comparison include:

-economy
-recreation
-restaurants/retail
-downtown
-education
-diversity

Feel free to add other categories you think are relevant.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2015, 08:59 PM

77 posts, read 101,499 times
Economy: Winston-Salem
Restaurants: Winston-Salem
Downtown: Winston-Salem
Education: Greenville
Diversity: Winston-Salem

Old 04-29-2015, 07:45 AM

Location: near downtown Greenville, SC (viewing the sunset vicariously at the North Gulf Shore Beach Access)
1,838 posts, read 3,529,979 times
my wife is from the Triad and we currently live just south of downtown Greenville, SC - some random thoughts

downtown Greenville, SC has undergone tremendous revitalization in the last 20+ years - there is nothing similar to Falls Park anywhere in the Triad

the economy in Upstate SC is a step above anything in Greensboro/Winston - with Michelin, BMW, GE, Fluor, etc

education: the county of Greenville (all schools in SC are county based) spent $1 billion in the early-mid 2000's to renovate or newly construct all public schools - college/university based education in NC is a step above anything in SC - SC has a college (similar to Hope) lottery scholarship program (NC does not)

location: if you desire to live near the mountains, Greenville, SC trumps Winston - I'm 45 min to elevations > 3,000 feet and 75 min to downtown Asheville

infrastructure: NC has a superior interstate system - much better than the Upstate's dilapidated road system (I-85 is crumbling - we need at least 8 lanes thru G'ville/Spartanburg) - Gov Haley has recently proposed increasing the gas tax

restaurants/retail: very similar - we both have Trader Joe's, Total Wine, REI, Whole Foods, Apple Store, Macy's, etc etc - Greenville does have Cabela's, (coming soon) Bass Pro Shops, & Dave and Buster's

Last edited by drfranklin; 04-29-2015 at 07:58 AM..

Old 04-29-2015, 05:10 PM

6,612 posts, read 6,541,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetruth33 View Post
Restaurants: Winston-Salem
Downtown: Winston-Salem
Education: Greenville
Education Greenville? Winston-Salem has a top 25 university (Wake Forest), a top-notch women's liberal arts college (Salem), one of the premier arts schools in the nation (UNC School of the Arts), and a highly rated community college (Forsyth Tech). What does Greenville offer?

If you're talking about public schools, Winston-Salem/Forsyth County has the #2 high school in NC (West Forsyth)...and some highly rated private schools as well as one of NC's largest Catholic high schools.

Last edited by JoeTarheel; 04-29-2015 at 05:47 PM..

Old 04-29-2015, 08:14 PM

32 posts, read 50,729 times
Although WS has a larger skyline downtown Greenville is much nicer, the restaurants are better too.. as far as education and diversity goes Winston wins that by decision.
overall I give the edge to G,Ville.

Old 04-29-2015, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citystarter View Post
Although WS has a larger skyline downtown Greenville is much nicer, the restaurants are better too.. as far as education and diversity goes Winston wins that by decision.
overall I give the edge to G,Ville.
Obviously your opinion...I think Winston-Salem is the one that is much nicer. Greenville is a great place and I like it, but to me it isn't on the same level with Winston-Salem.

Better restaurants? I think not. I doubt there is more than a sliver of difference between the two.

Old 04-29-2015, 08:28 PM

32 posts, read 50,729 times
I meant to say Greenville's downtown alone is much nicer, but overall the cities are pretty even. I just prefer Gville because location and downtown.

Old 04-29-2015, 09:42 PM

Quote:
I meant to say Greenville's downtown alone is much nicer, but overall the cities are pretty even. I just prefer Gville because location and downtown.
It's just a personal preference, but when is the last time you were in downtown Winston-Salem? It's really nice...it has seen a major renaissance in the past 20 years. A couple of good reads on the amount of development in downtown W-S...one is about the $1.2 billion investment in downtown since 2000, the second is a NYT article about the downtown research park, and the third is about W-S's burgeoning downtown:

http://www.journalnow.com/business/b...3cc2adb2b.html
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/29/re...-salem-nc.html
http://www.journalnow.com/opinion/ed...cb4daff00.html

We obviously both love our city.

W-S is also located very close to the mountains...part of the metro area is in the foothills, and places like Pilot Mountain State Park are in the W-S metro: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pilot_Mountain_State_Park

Last edited by JoeTarheel; 04-29-2015 at 10:04 PM..

Old 04-29-2015, 10:06 PM

I would actually give the two a tie in most categories:

Restaurants: tie
Downtown: tie
Education: Winston-Salem

Old 04-30-2015, 07:50 AM

27,754 posts, read 24,774,360 times
Quote:
Agreed. Greenville has won awards for its downtown revitalization and receives delegations from many cities to study what it did right in hopes of improving their own downtowns, including Winston-Salem (and Raleigh, Durham, and Greensboro as well). Winston-Salem's downtown has nice structural density and history for its size and has also seen improvement in pedestrian activity, but it doesn't quite match Greenville's vibrancy and as was noted, it has nothing like Falls Park which is among the best downtown parks I've ever had the pleasure of spending time in. Not too many cities have an open, recreational space right smack downtown complete with actual falls that people can enjoy. Also Greenville has a ton of new mixed-use and residential projects recently completed, underway, and planned right now.

Last edited by Mutiny77; 04-30-2015 at 08:02 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or