Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which one is your personal choice to live in for the long-term?
Chicago 90 40.18%
Boston 60 26.79%
Philadelphia 74 33.04%
Voters: 224. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2015, 02:57 PM

3,453 posts, read 4,526,031 times

Advertisements

I don't know - I love New England and all, but I think it's the bias of people who have no experience in the region who feel there is "nothing" in terms of day trips from Chicago. Just go north. Michigan shore:

Wisconsin shore (grew up near here):

Driftless, a consistently hilly region the size of an eastern state:

Northwoods:

UP:

Just search "driftless" or "upper mississippi river" or "MN/WI/MI northwoods/beaches" or whatever, there's plenty to do and see within a day drive from Chicago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2015, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
There is no equivalent in the midwest to the culture of Burlington, VT, Lake Placid, NY, Catskills, Woodstock, etc., etc. or the Maine coast. You have Door County, WI and Mackinac island, MI. But these are small areas which is more of the norm of what you find in New England.
Well, I grew up in Door County, and this is simply untrue.

What about Bayfield, WI?
What about Traverse City/western MI?
Galena, IL?
Minocqua, WI?
Hayward, WI?

There are places up on the North Shore MN and nice lake towns throughout the northern part of the state, as well.

Old 05-18-2015, 10:59 AM

5,976 posts, read 13,112,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post
Well, I grew up in Door County, and this is simply untrue.

What about Bayfield, WI?
What about Traverse City/western MI?
Galena, IL?
Minocqua, WI?
Hayward, WI?

There are places up on the North Shore MN and nice lake towns throughout the northern part of the state, as well.
I was referring more to the fact that those places that started off as art colonies/hippie enclaves in the 60s, and have evolved to become somewhat cosmopolitan and "foo-foo".

I grew up in the midwest. Grew up in the Chicago suburbs, went to college in the Northwoods, been to all those places mentioned. Those places you mentioned are lovely. However, the attract a different type of person (people who are more interested in hunting, fishing than art and boutiques) than those places mentioned in the northeast (Western Michigan has a couple exceptions like Saugatuck, South Haven, TC).

Old 05-18-2015, 11:06 AM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,409,287 times
Philadelphia. I don't really like Chicago and I just think Philly would be more for me than Boston.

Old 05-18-2015, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
I was referring more to the fact that those places that started off as art colonies/hippie enclaves in the 60s, and have evolved to become somewhat cosmopolitan and "foo-foo".

I grew up in the midwest. Grew up in the Chicago suburbs, went to college in the Northwoods, been to all those places mentioned. Those places you mentioned are lovely. However, the attract a different type of person (people who are more interested in hunting, fishing than art and boutiques) than those places mentioned in the northeast (Western Michigan has a couple exceptions like Saugatuck, South Haven, TC).
Sorry, but in addition to the W MI spots I included and Door County (which you included), there are places like Bayfield and in the Driftless (like Viroqua) that are also "artist colonies."

Old 05-18-2015, 01:17 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,143,800 times
I'd pick Philadelphia purely because it would typically have the least severe Winters.

Old 05-18-2015, 03:15 PM

2,535 posts, read 3,278,040 times
Chicago .. because you can find plenty SINGLE FAMILY HOMES in Chicago Cottage to Victorians, Bungalows of course,with a yard and green space in front..to Skyscraper Living and Awesome Lakefront. Philly is 60% Row Homes, not my favorite style or too small street grid. Though even Philly would have plenty to choose too,

In Philly Very little CHEAP HOUSING. Would be other then a ROW HOME WITH NO FRONTAGE And most times tiny back space , mainly as a entry path to use to the side-street.

Architecture... whether Downtowns to Neighborhood housing stock? I still give to Chicago, then Boston, then Philly. Doe to my least preferred housing, being Row Homes.

Still not enough warrant for me to choose one of theses cities by Winters. All have them and periods of extreme cold spells and some more snow then others.

If money was not the issue. It is still Chicago. Because I'd choose Skyscraper living it has a lot of or Great Victorian Home. Over quaint Colonial neighborhoods. Philly and Boston have in their Downtown areas of high-end varieties. Though surely Boston and Philly have Great Victorian varieties also. Affording many Winter escapes, or home in a winter-less city. Makes Winter far more bearable.

Old 05-18-2015, 06:44 PM

2,363 posts, read 5,200,881 times
Chicago doesn't seem like a place I'd want to live.
I hate everything about Boston.
Philadelphia having the least harshest winters. All 4 sports teams, public transit and proximity to the ocean and other major cities

Old 02-20-2020, 07:30 PM

4,597 posts, read 2,988,358 times
Default Philly

Chicago would be in the running if I could go elsewhere for the winter.

Probably would still choose Philly, though.... there's so much to see in PA, and around the NE via Amtrak.

Old 02-21-2020, 02:04 PM

23,512 posts, read 23,986,796 times
Chicago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City