U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which one is your personal choice to live in for the long-term?
Chicago 58 43.61%
Boston 37 27.82%
Philadelphia 38 28.57%
Voters: 133. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2015, 08:23 PM

6,479 posts, read 7,717,281 times

Advertisements

All three are big cities, obviously Chicago the biggest by a pretty good margin. All three are different styles of cities and can appeal to different people that prioritize different aspects from others. All three have pretty diverse economies, large talent magnets, great institutions of culture and educational facilities.

If you had to pick only one of the three to spend the rest of your life in, which one would it be? Why?

Do factors like climate, job opportunities, social environment, amenities, infrastructure, culture, food, night options, geography, neighborhoods, safety, diversity, location, cost of living, or network (ability to go from this city directly to others worldwide) impact your judgement? If other factors exist, what are they?

Anyhow, which one the three would you go with?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2015, 08:43 PM

1,307 posts, read 2,066,481 times
Chicago: better food, better nightlife, better cultural institutions, better public transportation, more diversity, and despite being bigger also more laid back and friendly; slightly worse weather and fewer historical attractions AND generally cheaper. Chicago, to my mind, is the best urban bang for your buck in the English speaking world!

Old 04-29-2015, 08:52 PM

4,560 posts, read 2,522,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red John View Post
If you had to pick only one of the three to spend the rest of your life in, which one would it be? Why?
I would like to have a family in the not to distant future so the school system is a big deal of where I would end up. Boston would be the only logical place. Philly schools are notoriously bad. People are pissed and our new governor ran on a platform of fixing the charter school/public school problem. To understand how big of a deal this is year, the last time a governor lost as an incumbent seeking reelection was in 1854.

Old 04-29-2015, 09:16 PM

8,702 posts, read 11,348,848 times
I love all three of these cities. Three of my favorites along with NYC, LA and SF. I'm going to pick Philadelphia out of my bias but I would seriously be happy living in either of these cities.

Old 04-30-2015, 01:36 PM

7,338 posts, read 15,309,608 times
Like others, I could be happy in all three.

I'd go with Boston. I love the ocean and I love the mountains (particularly skiing). Chicago has neither. I understand the lake is a good substitute but it's not the ocean. I also understand that Philadelphia isn't far from the shore nor is it far from the mountains, but it's tough to argue that Boston isn't closer to the beaches (and arguably better beaches) and better skiing (no question about it).

Boston, in my opinion, has better day trip type places nearby with Maine, New Hampshire, Cape Cod, Vermont, the Berkshires, and Rhode Island right there (not to mention Foxwoods and Mohegan, but that's not my favorite way to **** money away). Philly get's an edge when it comes to major cities (it's closer to both NYC and DC), but NYC isn't too far from Boston either. Chicago doesn't have nearly as much going for it in this department.

It's easier to get around Boston and the metro without a car than the other two. Chicago has a bigger and more extensive transit network. Absolutely. However, Boston's more compact and I find that I can reach all sorts of places in the city and beyond much easier than I can reach many places in Chicago and Philadelphia. I think Boston's commuter rail network (smaller than both cities') connects to some neater places too. In the summer I can take the train to the Cape. In the winter there's a ski train. Year round I can reach Providence, Salem, Gloucester, Rockport, Newburyport, Salem, etc. Boston's also the easiest to get around on foot too.

From a foodie standpoint, Boston ranks a pretty sold 3rd out of the group. Both Chicago and Philadelphia are better for foodies. That being said, Boston is still an excellent city for eating and many of my favorite types of food are readily available here. I'm a simple, fresh seafood guy and nobody does that better than Boston.

Boston probably ranks last in overall nightlife too, but I'm 29 and really into pubs, live music, and outdoor drinking. Boston has more than I could ever need in that regard. I also think metro Boston has some of the best waterfront dining and drinking in the country. Where I live in the metro area, I can jump into my 14 foot Whaler and boat to 5 different waterfront bars in 15-20 minutes. It's one of my favorite parts of summer.

I also travel a lot and I think Boston's a great jumping off point. No, it doesn't have the destination list (domestic or international) that Chicago has, but it's very good and it's closer to Europe than any other major U.S. airport (Boston-London takes around the same time as Boston-San Francisco). It also has a better trans-continental non-stops like Shanghai, Toyko, Dubai, Hong Kong, Beijing, Istanbul, etc. Finally, Boston's Logan Airport is better connected to the city center than the other two. There's nothing like going two subway stops from downtown (Blue Line) or taking the Silverline from South Station instead of dealing with lengthy, time consuming transfers.

Finally, for my field, Boston probably has the best opportunities. When it comes to making a living, Boston is my best bet. Cost of living is the worst, but I still think it's worth it.

Old 04-30-2015, 02:24 PM

3,678 posts, read 4,352,871 times
I could be happy in all 3, but Chicago would be my choice. It has everything in a big city you could want (food, culture, nightlife, entertainment, jobs, etc.) with the best cost of living, and best mass transportation. If I ever have kids, Chicago provides the option of sending them to a good private school in the city or moving to an inner ring, more urban suburb with excellent schools and very good public transit back to the city (metra, cta, pace, etc.). Not sure how Boston inner city schools are, but most of Philly and Chicago's public schools aren't the best. Ideally I would be able to find a good private school in the city (that I can afford), but I would enjoy having the option to live in one of the many nice suburbs of Chicago if need be and send my kid to a great school and have easy CTA or Metra access into the city. Granted, this is a non issue if I don't ever have kids.

Old 04-30-2015, 02:28 PM

6,479 posts, read 7,717,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homeinatx View Post
Chicago: better food, better nightlife, better cultural institutions, better public transportation, more diversity, and despite being bigger also more laid back and friendly.
More or less, this, for me as well.

Plus I am a big city type of person anyway.

Although I haven't found Chicagoans to be anywhere near as "friendly" as people say they are, I haven't had any issues with Chicagoans regardless, just think they are pretty cold people overall though.

Old 04-30-2015, 02:37 PM

696 posts, read 820,818 times
I'm an east coast kind of guy, Philly is my pick. It's close to NY and has it's own unique character.

However, Chicago is a very close 2nd, proximity to NYC makes all the difference for me.

Boston doesn't appeal to me, I'd probably get bored there quick.

Old 04-30-2015, 03:10 PM

1,672 posts, read 1,740,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red John View Post
Plus I am a big city type of person anyway.
Even if it's a big city in the middle of nowhere?

And it's not like Boston or Philly are slouches in the urban department (as has been debated on this forum ad nauseam.)

Philadelphia, From the Ballpark by tmattioni, on Flickr

Gotham. by ian.poley, on Flickr

P.S. (If anyone wants to have a Boston/Chicago or Philly/Chicago urban debate please do it in one of these two threads: Is Philly more urban than Chicago? ,or Is Boston as urban as Chicago? . I didn't mean to derail this thread with my response. ).

Old 04-30-2015, 05:00 PM

21,945 posts, read 30,816,665 times
Philly is home for me so its an choice in that regard. Love both Chicago and Boston Think if forced to pick between the two i would choose Chicago but only by slight margin
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or