U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city feels more cosmopolitan?
Nashville 49 63.64%
San Antonio 28 36.36%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2015, 05:15 PM

9,086 posts, read 12,858,620 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonelitist View Post
^^^Here on the West Coast, which has a huge Latino population, primarily Mexican, I have never heard San Antonio mentioned. Among my social circle, Nashville has come up as a place to visit. It should be noted that both cities are known as convention cities.

Also, in terms of visitors and dollars spent, I never rely on those numbers as they are almost never apples to apples. For instance, according to your numbers which I know you probably got from a list, and they got that from some visitor bureau, twice as many people visited SA than SF (per your numbers versus SF's visitor bureau numbers), and spent more money. Anyone who knows either city would know that that is simply not the case.

The way Nashville counts visitors and $$$ spent - could be a bit different. Nashville could exclude business travel. Who knows? Point being, both cities are on par with each other as convention cities. Both cities likely have quite similar visitor numbers. And as I pointed out, Nashville's airport alone has significantly higher passenger traffic than San Antonio's. Unless Nashville has that much more business going on (and as a smaller city/metro, I doubt that...and considering both airports are Southwest Airlines point to point focus airports, Nashville's being larger), then I wouldn't say SA has leagues more tourism than Nashville.
There is no "taken over".A city is what it is on its own merits.Neither Nashville nor SA are "cosmopolitan" by any means but as I said if I had to pick it be SA based on its history, culture,and architechture.Not how many projects,companies or people moving there.

im just going by what is reported.San Francisco is not as accessible as San Antonio is accessible to more of the U.S. population.
Atlanta also gets more visitors than San Francisco.Mainly because you can drive to Atlanta easily from a large region where there are not many other large cities.
Bizjournals has SA with a 9.1% increase in international visitation.Nashville leads way in record-setting year for tourism
Nashville has a 7.1% increase
San Antonio attracts record number of international visitors - San Antonio Business Journal

Last edited by JMT; 05-18-2015 at 06:37 PM.. Reason: Cleveland is not part of this thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2015, 06:54 PM

2,548 posts, read 5,128,827 times
San Antonio has a larger tourism industry than Nashville, it attracts more than double the annual visitors. Airport traffic is not really an indication of how large the tourism industry is. Nashville's airport does serve a couple million more than S.A.'s, but Austin bergstrom international is only about 60 miles from San Antonio International airport and it is even closer to San Antono's Far NE suburbs , San Antonio's largest suburb, New Braunfel's is roughly about 25 miles from Austin Bergstrom Int'l. And I'm sure people from the Austin metro may chose to fly out of S.A. Int'l, for various reasons, flight schedule, price etc. Nashville doesn't have a metro of 2 million at its door step.
Also, many of the military personnel fly out of the AFB's, it isn't huge numbers but I read an article it was over a million passengers per year, I will look for the article. And you can't discount the fact the two major hubs a couple hundred miles away in Houston and DFW.

Last edited by JMT; 05-18-2015 at 08:11 PM.. Reason: Cleveland is not part of this thread.

Old 05-18-2015, 09:34 PM

4,272 posts, read 3,336,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweethomeSanAntonio View Post
San Antonio has a larger tourism industry than Nashville, it attracts more than double the annual visitors. Airport traffic is not really an indication of how large the tourism industry is. Nashville's airport does serve a couple million more than S.A.'s, but Austin bergstrom international is only about 60 miles from San Antonio International airport and it is even closer to San Antono's Far NE suburbs , San Antonio's largest suburb, New Braunfel's is roughly about 25 miles from Austin Bergstrom Int'l. And I'm sure people from the Austin metro may chose to fly out of S.A. Int'l, for various reasons, flight schedule, price etc. Nashville doesn't have a metro of 2 million at its door step.
Also, many of the military personnel fly out of the AFB's, it isn't huge numbers but I read an article it was over a million passengers per year, I will look for the article. And you can't discount the fact the two major hubs a couple hundred miles away in Houston and DFW.
Ok so now it's Nashville vs. San Antonio/Austin. Very good justification as to why San Antonio is more cosmopolitan. You threw in Houston and Dallas, might as well throw in New Orleans.

Old 05-19-2015, 09:31 AM

9,086 posts, read 12,858,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
Ok so now it's Nashville vs. San Antonio/Austin. Very good justification as to why San Antonio is more cosmopolitan. You threw in Houston and Dallas, might as well throw in New Orleans.
True thats not the best defense but I guess he means that there are more places accessible so more options.

Old 05-19-2015, 09:47 AM

2,548 posts, read 5,128,827 times
I didn't say anything in that post pertaining to which city is more cosmopolitan. I already gave my opinion on that in an earlier post.

Old 05-21-2015, 07:40 PM

4,272 posts, read 3,336,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweethomeSanAntonio View Post
I didn't say anything in that post pertaining to which city is more cosmopolitan. I already gave my opinion on that in an earlier post.
So what was your reason for bringing the other cities up?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or