Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which one wins out of these two regions?
New York + Miami 92 63.01%
Los Angeles + Vegas 43 29.45%
Neither (explain) 11 7.53%
Voters: 146. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2015, 04:59 PM

2,033 posts, read 1,983,735 times

Advertisements

If you can realistically make it to Miami in a two day weekend and be back to work on a Monday then we will talk. Vegas can be done easily in a two day weekend and that's driving. Your outlandish comparison is comical which is why I keep visiting this thread. Sane discussion on this topic was deep sixed on the first post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2015, 05:14 PM

2,545 posts, read 3,297,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastphilly View Post
If you can realistically make it to Miami in a two day weekend and be back to work on a Monday then we will talk. Vegas can be done easily in a two day weekend and that's driving. Your outlandish comparison is comical which is why I keep visiting this thread. Sane discussion on this topic was deep sixed on the first post.
Yes you can. Total trip time to fly from NY to Miami (door to door) will be about the same as to drive from LA to LV -- 4 to 5 hours. So if you can do one, you can do the other. I've done a weekend trip to South Florida many times (leaving Fri night after work and coming back either Sunday night or Monday morning) as my parents live in Hollywood. It's not ideal, and I prefer to take an extra day, but it's certainly very doable, and with airfares in the $200 range not that expensive.

Old 05-27-2015, 05:33 PM

1,227 posts, read 1,593,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzrovian View Post
Yes you can. Total trip time to fly from NY to Miami (door to door) will be about the same as to drive from LA to LV -- 4 to 5 hours. So if you can do one, you can do the other. I've done a weekend trip to South Florida many times (leaving Fri night after work and coming back either Sunday night or Monday morning) as my parents live in Hollywood. It's not ideal, and I prefer to take an extra day, but it's certainly very doable, and with airfares in the $200 range not that expensive.
Flying isn't the same thing as driving though. If all things are equal, you can fly to Vegas from here for 45 minutes.

QLA to LAS Flights | Expedia

You can get a round-trip ticket from LA-LV for $156.20. Sometimes, Southwest has specials where you can fly there and back for $99 (though obviously not available for the Summer travel season)

NYC to MIA Flights | Expedia

There is one flight you can get from NYC-MIA for $256, but most are in the $300.00 range round-trip.

Though in raw numbers, it really isn't all that different (matter of $100-$120), but it just shows that physical distance does make a difference.

Old 05-27-2015, 05:38 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,561,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzrovian View Post
I could say the same about Cabo San Lucas, but I never would. Travel to a place limited to a $250+ flight booked well in advance, doable but not ideal over a weekend, describes something other than getting to Las Vegas from Los Angeles.

Old 05-27-2015, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lets Eat Candy View Post
Flying isn't the same thing as driving though. If all things are equal, you can fly to Vegas from here for 45 minutes.

You can get a round-trip ticket from LA-LV for $156.20. Sometimes, Southwest has specials where you can fly there and back for $99 (though obviously not available for the Summer travel season)

There is one flight you can get from NYC-MIA for $256, but most are in the $300.00 range round-trip.

Though in raw numbers, it really isn't all that different (matter of $100-$120), but it just shows that physical distance does make a difference.
Are you suggesting the time space continuum is a real thing?

Old 05-27-2015, 06:11 PM

2,545 posts, read 3,297,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lets Eat Candy View Post

The main difference is in terms of planning really. Yes, of course, it's harder to take a weekend trip from NY to Miami on a spur of the moment. But if you are willing to spend the $$$ or plan your weekends at least 2-3 weeks in advance there is nothing unrealistic about it. I've been going to FL 6-9 times each winter for the last few years, often for just a two day weekend, FWIW.

Old 05-27-2015, 06:19 PM

696 posts, read 1,170,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastphilly View Post
If you can realistically make it to Miami in a two day weekend and be back to work on a Monday then we will talk.
Back to work? Are you kidding me? Read the main post again. It's funny how out of context people are taking this thread.

"If money was not an option, if you were a single bachelor" not "if you were a struggling employee looking for a weekend trip."

See the difference ?

Old 05-27-2015, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityKing View Post
Back to work? Are you kidding me? Read the main post again. It's funny how out of context people are taking this thread.

"If money was not an option, if you were a single bachelor" not "if you were a struggling employee looking for a weekend trip."

See the difference ?
If money- and time- were not considerations, what on Earth would prevent anybody from going anywhere?

Old 05-27-2015, 06:30 PM

696 posts, read 1,170,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nslander View Post
If money- and time- were not considerations, what on Earth would prevent anybody from going anywhere?
Unfortunately you cannot be everywhere at once, if you were rich and successful and spent most of your time in these regions is what the thread is about. Not Northeast Vs Southern Cal, not Struggling Employee weekend trip, not anything else, simple discussion. Los Angeles people are just upset at the poll.

Old 05-27-2015, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityKing View Post
Unfortunately you cannot be everywhere at once, if you were rich and successful and spent most of your time in these regions is what the thread is about. Not Northeast Vs Southern Cal, not Struggling Employee weekend trip, not anything else, simple discussion. Los Angeles people are just upset at the poll.
People of unlimited means and leisure go wherever they damn well please. Nobody's upset, they're just intrigued by your war on reality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City