Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which one wins out of these two regions?
New York + Miami 92 63.01%
Los Angeles + Vegas 43 29.45%
Neither (explain) 11 7.53%
Voters: 146. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2015, 04:11 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,561,445 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I think Miami is a weekend getaway for a lot of travelers. It's not such a big production where you are taking off a Friday and a Monday because the travel is so taxing. I will usually leave on a Friday morning or Friday afternoon (after a half day) and then return on Sunday evening. I don't think South Beach requires much more time than that.

That said, you're right in that it's not a spur of the moment trip whereas Vegas can be exactly that for people living in SoCal.
Honestly, I'd rather be in Miami also. But Vegas is so close, many people don't "travel" there as much merely "waking up" there. Which is why this comparison doesn't work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2015, 06:53 PM

2,918 posts, read 5,607,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuddedLeather View Post
Well yes. Lol.

Also EDC Vegas in June. I haven't been to either festival yet but I'm planning to go to Ultra Music festival next year in Miami.
I'll admit I am a Vegas homer, but Ultra is much better than EDC. That said, Vegas has a much better EDM scene overall.

Old 05-01-2015, 08:31 PM

1,780 posts, read 1,760,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foadi View Post
I'll admit I am a Vegas homer, but Ultra is much better than EDC. That said, Vegas has a much better EDM scene overall.
I would flip that actually.

Old 05-01-2015, 09:14 PM

2,918 posts, read 5,607,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NativeOrange View Post
I would flip that actually.
Why? As far as venues and the level of talent on display on any given night there is no contest.

Old 05-01-2015, 11:58 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,937,981 times
I gotta agree with NSLANDER to a degree. No matter how many NY transplants there are im Miami, and no matter how busy NYC to MIA flights are, you can't equate what is essentially a 5hr drive away, feeder city for LA, to Miami and NYC's looong geographic separation. LA and LV are way more identical geographically, culturally, and climatic wise. I think Miami being the "6th Borough of NYC" is an outdated stereotype from the Jackie Gleason days in the 1950's. Culturally Miami has replaced transplanted Northern culture with Latin American culture with pockets of a West-Indian and Southern Black cultural hybrid in neighborhoods like Little Haiti and Liberty City. It's not unusual to hear black southern accents and black southern vernacular being spoken by 1st generation Haitian immigrants in Little Haiti. Insanely diffirent than what you'd find on the streets of NYC.

Old 05-02-2015, 02:20 AM

391 posts, read 753,737 times
NYC-Miami is obviously better but the comparison is unfair. Like others have mentioned, a fair comparison would be LA + Vegas vs. New York + Atlantic City. In that case, LA + Vegas blows NYC out of the water.

It's closer to fly from LA to Miami than it is to fly from NY to Miami. So why would you even put Miami and NYC in the same category?

Old 05-02-2015, 05:58 AM

3,259 posts, read 3,769,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svedski View Post

It's closer to fly from LA to Miami than it is to fly from NY to Miami. So why would you even put Miami and NYC in the same category?
New York to Miami is actually quite a bit closer than Los Angeles to Miami. Miami is about 3 hours from NYC by air (and in the same time zone) compared to 5 hours from LA (and 3 time zones away).

The reason OP probably put Miami and NYC in the same category is because there are a lot of snowbirds from the northeast that have second homes in the Greater Miami area. Or who retire to south Florida. With that being said, I think Palm Beach probably has more of that NY vibe now with Miami and Miami Beach having more of a Latin American influence than New York influence these days.

I think a lot of people are just looking at the geographic distances and are ignoring (or maybe were unaware) of how closely linked NYC and Miami are among wealthy New Yorkers (remember, OP was assuming we are fabulously wealthy).

Old 05-02-2015, 04:31 PM

2,412 posts, read 2,473,114 times
strange comparison. LA to Vegas is a 4 hour drive (ive done it in 3 hrs, 40 before), and NYC to Miami is a long plane ride....

either way LA LV still beats NYC MIA

Old 05-02-2015, 04:40 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,156,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
I gotta agree with NSLANDER to a degree. No matter how many NY transplants there are im Miami, and no matter how busy NYC to MIA flights are, you can't equate what is essentially a 5hr drive away, feeder city for LA, to Miami and NYC's looong geographic separation. LA and LV are way more identical geographically, culturally, and climatic wise. I think Miami being the "6th Borough of NYC" is an outdated stereotype from the Jackie Gleason days in the 1950's. Culturally Miami has replaced transplanted Northern culture with Latin American culture with pockets of a West-Indian and Southern Black cultural hybrid in neighborhoods like Little Haiti and Liberty City. It's not unusual to hear black southern accents and black southern vernacular being spoken by 1st generation Haitian immigrants in Little Haiti. Insanely diffirent than what you'd find on the streets of NYC.
Real NY'ers don't drive cars, they fly.

All Winter long, Miami is filled with New Yorkers who often make last minute plans for a 3 or 4 day weekend. I meet them all the time wearing their previous season Hamptons wardrobe one more time before replacing it for the upcoming Summer season.

Old 05-02-2015, 05:12 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,561,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
Real NY'ers don't drive cars, they fly.

All Winter long, Miami is filled with New Yorkers who often make last minute plans for a 3 or 4 day weekend. I meet them all the time wearing their previous season Hamptons wardrobe one more time before replacing it for the upcoming Summer season.
Sounds disgusting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City