U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Which one wins out of these two regions?
New York + Miami 66 60.55%
Los Angeles + Vegas 34 31.19%
Neither (explain) 9 8.26%
Voters: 109. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-05-2015, 05:49 PM
 
Location: worldwide
696 posts, read 821,079 times
Reputation: 464

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
I'm not too old, your comparisons just suck. The only thing similar between Miami and NYC is their placing on the eastcoast. Miami is too dang far to be paired with NYC.
Riight... You can go back to living under your rock now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-05-2015, 05:54 PM
 
6,612 posts, read 6,543,265 times
Reputation: 4045
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
I'm not too old, your comparisons just suck. The only thing similar between Miami and NYC is their placing on the eastcoast. Miami is too dang far to be paired with NYC.
LOL!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-05-2015, 06:51 PM
 
Location: Downtown LA
1,192 posts, read 1,227,960 times
Reputation: 848
Quote:
Originally Posted by nslander View Post
Because it's inane. Las Vegas is not on any coast. Miami is, but its not nearly as accessible as Vegas is to LA. Because of that geographic reality, it further asks the reader to pretend he/she owns a friggin Lear Jet. Except if you live in Los Angeles, you can't take that plane any other place except Las Vegas.
Well put. That's exactly why this is such a silly comparison. LA+Honululu and NYC+Miami would work better, as would LA+Vegas and NYC+Atlantic City.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-05-2015, 06:55 PM
 
Location: worldwide
696 posts, read 821,079 times
Reputation: 464
One thing I noticed is mostly LA people denying Vegas as if they want nothing to do with it.

Some people clearly aren't getting the comparison either they are too old, or have been living under a rock or both.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-05-2015, 07:29 PM
 
14,006 posts, read 21,968,210 times
Reputation: 4086
Quote:
Originally Posted by DistrictDirt View Post
Well put. That's exactly why this is such a silly comparison. LA+Honululu and NYC+Miami would work better, as would LA+Vegas and NYC+Atlantic City.
That's a pretty good comparison between cities. I'd imagine Honolulu kinda serves the same purpose for LA as Miami does for NYC. Good parings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-05-2015, 07:34 PM
 
Location: LBC
4,155 posts, read 4,298,708 times
Reputation: 3528
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityKing View Post
One thing I noticed is mostly LA people denying Vegas as if they want nothing to do with it.

Some people clearly aren't getting the comparison either they are too old, or have been living under a rock or both.
And everyone else has noticed you floundering trying to salvage this because you're intent, for some inexplicable reason, on bootstrapping Miami onto NYC. You don't think NYC's Las Vegas is Atlantic City. Whatever. But LA's Atlantic City is indeed Las Vegas. That's the reality of millions of actual human beings. And in your fantasyland, the hypothetical person with unlimited resources goes anyplace he pleases. It simply doesn't work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-06-2015, 08:37 AM
 
1,323 posts, read 677,787 times
Reputation: 1079
Atlantic City is dying, NY's Vegas is now the Connecticut casinos.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-06-2015, 04:20 PM
 
Location: Buena Park, Orange County, California
1,421 posts, read 1,758,501 times
Reputation: 1471
LA's Miami would either be Hawaii or Cabo San Lucas.

According to Wiki, domestic flights between Honolulu and other cities was dominated by connections to LA, with 1,094,000 passengers between Feb 2014 and Jan 2015.

For Miami International, connections with Atlanta lead the way at 780,000 followed by connections with NYC at 755,000.

Of course this doesn't include smaller regional airports that serve domestic routes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-06-2015, 08:03 PM
 
14,006 posts, read 21,968,210 times
Reputation: 4086
Quote:
Originally Posted by RudyOD View Post
LA's Miami would either be Hawaii or Cabo San Lucas.

According to Wiki, domestic flights between Honolulu and other cities was dominated by connections to LA, with 1,094,000 passengers between Feb 2014 and Jan 2015.

For Miami International, connections with Atlanta lead the way at 780,000 followed by connections with NYC at 755,000.

Of course this doesn't include smaller regional airports that serve domestic routes.
Exxactly. Miami-Atlanta are quite connected.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-06-2015, 08:07 PM
 
2,392 posts, read 2,121,249 times
Reputation: 2554
complete facepalm to everybody who is saying the comparison makes no sense due to geographical considerations. if you are saying this, you are missing the point of the thread. and also don't understand just how many wealthy people split time between New York and South Florida.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top